Questions from a first time DSLR purchaser

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Questions from a first time DSLR purchaser

Post by Pete Eeles »

Andy.bn wrote:I was thinking that there may be occasions when live view could be useful, such as when contorting oneself amongst shrubbery to get an awkward shot, you wouldn’t then need to press the camera body so close to your face, thus giving you an easier range of movement.
Unless the "live view" screen tilts, then there's no advantage. One option is to use an "Angle Finder". But, to be honest, I've never found the need for such a thing - and I will, personally, lay prone on the deck to "get the shot" if necessary :) And I have evidence of me doing this in the outflow from a farm in Hungary - it's a good job the Internet doesn't currently support "Smellyvision" :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
JKT

Post by JKT »

Pete Eeles wrote:And I have evidence of me doing this in the outflow from a farm in Hungary
I've done that on street, swamp and much in between, but you define dedication! :D
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Here's a photo of a most excellent chap - known as "Safi" (who set up Butterfly Conservation in Ghana, and is also a key individual in the equivalent of BC in Hungary) ... on the same outflow ... (I'm the one watching his technique with baseball cap, with Paul Butter ... chairman of Dorset BC ...looking on in disgust :) )
safi.jpg
safi.jpg (137.03 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
We stank for 3 days. But so did everyone else, so that's OK :) The photos were awesome.

Cheers,

- Pete
eccles

Post by eccles »

Where's the butterfly? Did Safi sit on it, or did it fly away just as he'd got himself face down in effluent?
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

eccles wrote:Where's the butterfly? Did Safi sit on it, or did it fly away just as he'd got himself face down in effluent?
:)

The butterflies were in groups ... lots of groups ... here's a typical "stinky shot" - l-to-r ... Green-veined White, Chalkhill Blue, Berger's Clouded Yellow, Swallowtail, Scarce Swallowtail, Large Grizzled Skipper, etc. Well worth getting stinky for ;)
IMG_4381.jpg
IMG_4381.jpg (154.33 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Cheers,

- Pete
JKT

Post by JKT »

I've always wondered the real need for 300/4 IS, but I think this settles the case. :lol:
eccles

Post by eccles »

There is more than one way of getting a butterfly shot, and although a macro lens gives technically the sharpest result, awkward angles (or pongs!) that prevent an ideal camera position may cause you to lose a lot of the sharpness gains that the better optics would give you. Sometimes it's worth compromising. For instance, I think I could have managed to get close up shots of Pete's scenario and stayed dry by using my 70-210 F4 Minolta zoom ("beercan") with a teleconverter and a right angle finder. My beercan is very versatile as it focusses quite close and is very sharp at f5.6 and up. I've just checked: with a 1.4x teleconverter I can fill the frame with an object about 2-1/2" across from about a meter away. Of course I lose a stop by adding a teleconverter, and to get decent sharpness I'd need to be operating at F8 or smaller but you need this for depth of field anyway.
Here's a simple example of a penny shot from about a meter away. This is the full frame image:
DSC03705ff.jpg
DSC03705ff.jpg (124.97 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
This is a 100% crop of the 12MP image:
DSC03705crop.jpg
DSC03705crop.jpg (211.23 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
OK, the 100% crop isn't blisteringly sharp, but the original would have plenty of detail to do framing ajustment cropping and still get a decent A4 print.
Andy.bn

Post by Andy.bn »

Thanks Gruditch for the link to the Sigma website, that's a really useful piece of info for me, it apparently is available for Four-Thirds. Certainly you can't believe everything the magazines have to say.
A good point about the monopod helping you carry your camera over the shoulder too, suddenly I'm feeling a bit more cheerful about the whole thing again! :)
An interesting insight into the merits of the tele-converter, and what it can do, from Eccles.

Pete, I really appreciate you getting a stinky tee shirt, so the rest of us could enjoy such a wonderfully mixed group of butterflies in a single photo.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Andy.bn wrote:Pete, I really appreciate you getting a stinky tee shirt, so the rest of us could enjoy such a wonderfully mixed group of butterflies in a single photo.
No worries - it's a real shame that some think I'm still wearing that same shirt when I meet them :)

Actually, I didn't get on the ground for that shot. Here's one where I was definitely "in the dirt" - a squadron of Berger's Clouded Yellow :)
Bergers Clouded Yellow - imago - Josvafo, Hungary - 12-Jul-06 (0521).jpg
Bergers Clouded Yellow - imago - Josvafo, Hungary - 12-Jul-06 (0521).jpg (110.1 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Cheers,

- Pete
eccles

Post by eccles »

Super pic, Pete.
andy36

Post by andy36 »

I am looking at buying a camera there are so many canons to choose from its mind blowing, now the sonys, which one would be the best to start would it be the 100 or the 200. I've been looking at the bird photos with the 700 and are they simply great but the camera is out of my price range. I'll most likly go for the 200. Good thread this I like the banter.
Andy
Denise

Post by Denise »

andy36 wrote:I am looking at buying a camera there are so many canons to choose from its mind blowing, now the Sony's, which one would be the best to start would it be the 100 or the 200. I've been looking at the bird photos with the 700 and are they simply great but the camera is out of my price range. I'll most likly go for the 200. Good thread this I like the banter.
Andy
hi Andy,

Eccles is superb with his Sony :D but as for Canon, I have a 400D and I like it a lot. Unfortunately Canon are not selling it now, but instead their entry level DSLR is a 450D. Later this year, I am reliably informed ( :wink: Gruditch) they are bringing out a 500D which will be quite something else. I may just have to have one of those.
There are a few threads here on the subject if you have time to look through.

Denise
Denise
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

andy36 wrote:I am looking at buying a camera there are so many canons to choose from its mind blowing
We have another Andy, It may seem like there are a lot of Canon models, but that is in in-fact there are only six in currant production. The 1000D is the entry-level model, and the 450D is a mid range model.
andy36 wrote: I've been looking at the bird photos with the 700 and are they simply great but the camera is out of my price range
It's really down to the person behind the camera.

IMO, Fishiee is the finest butterfly photographer on this forum, when you see some of his work, I'm sure you will agree. But Fishiee uses a Canon 30D, that model was replaced by the 40D and now the 50D, does this mean if you like his work, you should go out and look for a second hand 30D.
As long as you invest in good lenses, and learn how to get the best out of a camera
Any make or model of DSLR, even some of the old dinosaur models like the old canon 10D, are capable of taking a picture, as good as anything on this forum. :D

Gruditch
Denise

Post by Denise »

Gruditch wrote: It may seem like there are a lot of Canon models, but that is in in-fact there are only six in currant production. The 1000D is the entry-level model, and the 450D is a mid range model.

Gruditch
:oops: I stand corrected

Denise
Denise
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Sorry Denise, the 1000D may of snuck in without you noticing it. :D

Gruditch
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

Just some random thoughts:

Tripod by preference, followed by monopod/stabilisation (watch carrying your camera on mono/tripod slung over shoulder as you're stressing the attachment point)

105mm is fine for any macro (I usually use in preference to 150mm)

Nothing wrong with secondhand - but know your source (I wouldn't buy off eBay, for instance)

Anglefinders are great

Don't have time for Live View or Sensor Cleaning (anglefinder former and swab latter)

Secondhand 20D, bought a month ago for £75 with 4,000 actuations and only needed a sensor clean and new battery. Shot taken 2 days ago using Sigma 105mm, tripod and anglefinder:
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

When choosing between 100/105mm and 150mm, I guess another consideration is to know if you're going to be using things that attach to the front of the lens, since the Sigma 105mm has a 58mm filter size, and the Sigma 150mm filter size is 72mm. The Canon macro flash units (which I use for photographing eggs, for example) fit a 58mm filter only (I believe).

Just a thought.

Cheers,

- Pete
Markulous

Post by Markulous »

I use (very little as I dislike flash lighting) the EM-140 Sigma macro ringflash and have an additional adapter for the 150mm lens - is there no Canon flash ring adapter?
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

I guess the answer is not to use the Canon macro flash units, but use Sigma instead ... which will definitely work (there are adapters for the EM-140 Sigma macro ringflash, for example).

Cheers,

- Pete
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

I have recently bought a Sony A100 off Ebay, it was a second chance thing, the actually price which was very high was a scam so I seemed to be the only genuine bidder and got it for £170 and its in really good condition, there was no compact flash card and instruction book but every thing else was included. I am now getting used to it, I'm still shocked how heavy it is, I must say that all the advice I've had from members of the UKbutterflies really made me understand it much more. This time last year I would never had even thought that I could use one. Its nice that the experience photographers give beginners time to tell us things and I can honestly say it is appreciated. :)
Regards Shirley

Return to “Photography”