Winter

Discussion forum for discussing the weather, both now and predicted!
Matsukaze

Winter

Post by Matsukaze »

The long spell of freezing weather has given the trees on Mendip a coating of frost and a lovely white colour.

Here are some pictures from around Westdown quarry and Asham Wood today.
100109_ 001.JPG
100109_ 001.JPG (193.88 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
100109_ 007.JPG
100109_ 007.JPG (218.99 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
100109_ 009.JPG
100109_ 009.JPG (207.03 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
100109_ 016.JPG
100109_ 016.JPG (199.68 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
I also got a view into the huge Torr Works quarry.
100109_ 014.JPG
100109_ 014.JPG (195.68 KiB) Viewed 1470 times
Susie

Re: Winter

Post by Susie »

I love the picture of the dead trees in the frozen lake.

We had a very heavy frost here too, it looked as if it had snowed although it hadn't. Here are some photos of the area around my village.

Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

This was Broughton Downs today, those days chasing after a Silver Spotted Skippers seem a distant memory now. Talking of chasing, got charged by a Buffalo today, :shock: wasn't expecting that when I left the house this morning. :?

Gruditch
Broughton Downs 800.jpg
Broughton Downs 800.jpg (154.4 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
Buffalo800.jpg
Buffalo800.jpg (106.2 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Lovely photos you lot, our frost is nearly gone, back to the northerly winds. Gary, that Buffalo looks at though it's doing a little trot more than a stampede, I mean if something it about to gore you to death surely you'd be running like mad not taking photos. :lol:
Shirley
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Shirley Roulston wrote:.. if something is about to gore you to death surely you'd be running like mad not taking photos. :lol: Shirley
That's one advantage of a long lens I've not seen in the brochures. "Live longer with the new Canon 1000mm lens" :D

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Shirley Roulston

Right, I'll get one of those for my camera one day. I have my new camera but the lens haven't arrived yet.
Shirley
Susie

Post by Susie »

Those are great photos, Gruditch. I absolutely love the first one. :D

Can't believe you were scared of something not much more than an ol' mooo cow though. Call those horns? :lol:
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Hi Everyone
This is a first for me. I know that yesterday was one of the coldest days I remember. I was skipping down the diserted lane from the station to keep warm - and to keep my hopes up as I swear standing on the cold platform for 15 minutes waiting for a delayed train just made the SAD worse! So cold that I was shivering and couldn't get the key in the lock! And when I finely got in I was standing in the kitchen 'de-frosting'. I couldn't believe it! I was wearing loads of layers as well!
But was it really cold enough to form frost on the very top of a tree or are we talking about on the bark here :?
I have neither seen nor remember frost forming on the top trees before. No one told me that was happening, or maybe it wasn't in Herts.
It sounds really beautiful and I don't want to miss out as I have never heard of it before. Just let me know when the trees are frosty and I'll climb one to find out! I wish to be able to appreciate this just as much as the person next to me, it just means doing it in a slightly different way!
Frost on trees is new to me - what does it look like?
Thanks
Em
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Here, its been frosty a bit, but its raining now, which I find good as it has not rained here in a long time. My dad said it felt about 10 degrees C this morning when he went out, and I was not out of bed then, but it feels not so cold at moment here.

Great pics Gary, never really seen frost on trees before and its not got as cold has it was in England, anytime here I remember. Most I remember here was -4 or -5c but not much colder.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Cheers Dave, this sort of frost is called a Hoar frost, all you need is low cloud or a fog, plus a hard frost. :)

Susie : that Buffalo was one big son of a bitch, he had a set of knackers the size of a kids satchel, I took my pic, threw Lisa in it's path, and legged it. :lol:

Gruditch
Robin

Post by Robin »

Hi Em,
When the trees are covered in hoar frost they appear completely white. The frost grows on all sides of the branches, not just the tops like when it snows. Some of the ice crystals are up to 6 or 7mm long. It looks best on thin branches as the frost looks thicker than the branch. The crystals are easily knocked off as they are very delicate.
Hoar frost (Ludshott Common 10-01-09)-9086.jpg
Hoar frost (Ludshott Common 10-01-09)-9086.jpg (96.24 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
The overall effect is quite beautiful:
Hoar frost (Grayshott 10-01-09)-9125.jpg
Hoar frost (Grayshott 10-01-09)-9125.jpg (155.5 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
Hope that helps a bit,
Robin
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Thanks Robin
I can imagine it now! I though of it as like snow that sits on top. Now I think of it as white crystal type spikey things that grow out at all angels on closer inspection. I just haven't got it in my head what that would look like from a distance. I guess like one of the scenic Christmas cards.
Cheers
Em
Shirley Roulston

Rain rain and more rain, our pond is slowly overflowing at every point. The overflow is the same level as the pond, the ditches are full and there's more rain on the way, at least we live on a hill overlooking it. :?
100_9464.jpg
100_9464.jpg (135.26 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
not actually a very good photo but I'll get a better one tomorrow.
Shirley
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Snowmen are mutating into a terrifying new species:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

padfield wrote:Snowmen are mutating into a terrifying new species:

Guy

that IS weird... kinda reminds me of the cartoon strip "Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson if anyone knows it, where Calvin used to make snowmen like the one you posted.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “Weather”