Jason Sargerson

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Jason Sargerson

Post by David M »

Perfect timing! Should rouse my spirits before my first overseas jaunt of the year in a week's time. :D
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

I have returned from my first trip to Switzerland this year. The weather was not very good, considering it is early June.

I now have Covid for my troubles - probably caught on the overcrowded Northern tube line in London.

On the first day of my trip (Wednesday 5th June) I arrived at my hotel just after 3pm, so immediately set off for Leuk as it was sunny.

However, very few butterflies present - Common Blue, Queen of Spain Fritillary, Clouded Yellow, Large and Small Whites and Small Heath.

Not a promising start.
Attachments
Leuk, Ergischorn, 05.06.24
Leuk, Ergischorn, 05.06.24
Common Blue, Leuk, 05.06.24
Common Blue, Leuk, 05.06.24
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

With the chequered fringes, that looks like an Adonis Blue to me, Jason.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Thanks Pete - adds another species to my very short list!

On the second day of my holiday - Thursday June 6th - I met up with Gyorgy Liptovszky again to visit the Cardinal site near Martigny.

He picked me up at Martigny railway station and kindly drove us over to the site. Last time we visited in 2022 we managed one female Cardinal and one female Iolas Blue. This time we were more fortunate with two male Iolas Blues and both male and female Cardinals. The underside of the hindwing of the female Cardinal has distinctly more white markings.

Other butterflies seen included Green-underside Blue and Dark Green Fritillary - but not the usual Marbled Fritillary and Turquoise Blue.

We visited another vineyard site but the sun deserted us - we did see Purple-shot Copper and Chequered Blue.

This was the best butterfly day of my holiday - only really a half day.

I have put clips of the Iolas Blue and Cardinals on my youtube account.
Attachments
Green-underside Blue, Rhone Valley, 06.06.24
Green-underside Blue, Rhone Valley, 06.06.24
Dark Green Fritillary, Rhone Valley, 06.06.24
Dark Green Fritillary, Rhone Valley, 06.06.24
Iolas Blue, Rhone Valley, 06.06.24
Cardinal female, Rhone Valley, 06.06.24
Cardinal male, Rhone Valley, 06.06.24
David M

Post by David M »

Sad the weather wasn't ideal, Jason, but western Europe as a whole seems to be having a particularly atrocious year in 2024.

One can only hope and pray that things change....and soon.
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

On the next three days of my holiday there didn't appear to be any butterfly weather, so I was on the train, taking photos at various places.

On the fifth day of my holiday (Sunday 9th June) I did visit Leuk because it warmed up and there was some sunshine.

At Leuk I found a Comma and several Small Heaths.
Attachments
Comma, Leuk, 09.06.24
Comma, Leuk, 09.06.24
Small Heath, Leuk, 09.06.24
Small Heath, Leuk, 09.06.24
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

On the sixth day of my holiday (Monday, 10th June) I set off in the pouring rain from Brig.

The railway runs beside Lake Geneva for the first time at Montreux, looking down the lake there was blue sky at the far end.

By the time I reached Geneva it was sunny - the second best butterfly day of my holiday.

I visited Allondon Reserve - very little flying here - only Small White and Small Heath, no White Admirals or Marbled Fritillaries.

I took the train back to Russin and was rewarded with Marbled White, Small Skipper, Oberthur's Grizzled Skipper (new for me)
and best of all Reverdin's Blue (last seen 2011).

I think the wet spring has encouraged excess green growth in the normally dry areas, then this has been cut down, along with the usual flowers.
This was apparent at Allondon and Russin and also at Leuk.
Attachments
Small Heath, Allondon, 10.06.24
Small Heath, Allondon, 10.06.24
Small White, Allondon, 10.06.24
Small White, Allondon, 10.06.24
Marbled White, Russin, 10.06.24
Marbled White, Russin, 10.06.24
Oberthur's Grizzled Skipper, Russin, 10.06.24
Oberthur's Grizzled Skipper, Russin, 10.06.24
Reverdin's Blue, Russin, 10.06.24
Reverdin's Blue, Russin, 10.06.24
Small Skipper, Russin, 10.06.24
Small Skipper, Russin, 10.06.24
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

On the last full day of my holiday (Tuesday 11th June), I met up with Gyorgy Liptovszky again.

He collected me from Nyon station and we headed into Geneva to drop his wife off at the United Nations.

There are some amazing road tunnels under Geneva, even at the outskirts.

Unfortunately the weather turned against us, instead of sunshine, it rained and was dull.

We went to the upper Allondon, to see the possible Large Copper sites, then back to Russin, where only Marbled Whites were flying.

So overall a disappointing holiday, but the big pluses were Cardinal, Iolas Blue, Reverdin's Blue and Oberthur's Grizzled Skipper.
Attachments
Upper Allondon River, 11.06.24
Upper Allondon River, 11.06.24
Marbled White, Russin, 11.06.24
Marbled White, Russin, 11.06.24
Reservoir at Russin, 11.06.24
Reservoir at Russin, 11.06.24
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

I visited Kiplingcotes Chalk Pit near Market Weighton today.

It wasn't very sunny after all, so there were not so many butterflies as usual.

Also because of all the rain, the grass and vegetation has grown tremendously, obscuring flowers.

I managed to see Common Blue, Small Skipper, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Marbled White and Red Admiral.

I hope for a better showing on my next visit in August.
Attachments
Marbled White, Kiplingcotes, 18.07.24
Marbled White, Kiplingcotes, 18.07.24
Meadow Brown, Kiplingcotes, 18.07.24
Meadow Brown, Kiplingcotes, 18.07.24
Ringlet, Kiplingcotes, 18.07.24
Ringlet, Kiplingcotes, 18.07.24
Small Skipper, Kiplingcotes, 18.07.24
Small Skipper, Kiplingcotes, 18.07.24
David M

Post by David M »

jasonsargerson wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:31 pm...Also because of all the rain, the grass and vegetation has grown tremendously, obscuring flowers...
It really has, Jason. Things are like a jungle round my way although I suppose that means that there won't be any shortage of good quality lhps this year!
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

I have just returned from my second holiday in Switzerland.

There were some highlights, but generally there were fewer butterflies and some missing almost altogether, such as the Coppers and Clouded Yellows.

On the first full day of my holiday - Thursday 1st August - I went off to Pontresina and to Val Roseg.

Unfortunately the path was still wet, and I got my shoes and socks soaked!! So had to return to Filisur to my hotel to change my shoes.

At Val Roseg, managed to see Titania's Fritillary, Lesser Marbled Fritillary, Lesser Mountain Ringlet and Alpine Heath.

Back at Filisur I found Swallowtail and Red Admiral on the local buddleias. After visiting Davos in the afternoon, back at Filisur, I found Dryad, Brimstone. Meadow Brown, Marbled White and Wood White. A surprise was a White Admiral, flying where the Southern White Admirals usually fly.
Attachments
Titania's Fritillary, Val Roseg, 01.08.24
Titania's Fritillary, Val Roseg, 01.08.24
Lesser Mountain Ringlet, Val Roseg, 01.08.24
Lesser Mountain Ringlet, Val Roseg, 01.08.24
Brimstone, Filisur, 01.08.24
Brimstone, Filisur, 01.08.24
Dryad, Filisur, 01.08.24
Dryad, Filisur, 01.08.24
Red Admiral, Filisur, 01.08.24
Red Admiral, Filisur, 01.08.24
Swallowtail, Filisur, 01.08.24
Swallowtail, Filisur, 01.08.24
White Admiral, Filisur, 01.08.24
White Admiral, Filisur, 01.08.24
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

On the second day of my holiday - Friday 2nd August - the forecast was not so good for Graubunden, so I headed to Zurich for a train day.

Of course the weather turned out fine - at Zurich I was amazed at the blue Limmat River (not like the rivers in England), and the size of the Great Hall of the Zurich Main Station - in the UK we would fill this with traders stalls!

Stopping off at Ziegelbrucke on the way back to Filisur, I hoped for some butterflies - found a White Admiral gliding near a stream.
Attachments
Limmat River, Zurich, 02.08.24
Zurich Main Station, Great Hall, 02.08.24
Zurich Main Station, Great Hall, 02.08.24
White Admiral, Ziegelbrucke, 02.08.24
White Admiral, Ziegelbrucke, 02.08.24
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

On the third day of my holiday - Saturday 3rd August - I headed south to the Bernina line and down to Cavaglia. The lake at the pass is always good to photograph, along with Alp Grum.

At Cavaglia there were fewer butterflies than usual - no Coppers (one Purple-edged Copper flew past).

I did manage to photograph a Thor's Fritillary this time, but it may have been the only one, looking worn.

Other butterflies included Titania's Fritillary, Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Lesser Mountain Ringlet, Arran Brown and Large Wall Brown.

Back at Filisur, walking further along the track by the railway line, I found Wood White, Adonis Blue and Scotch Argus, as well as Chalkhill Blue and Marbled White, Meadow Brown and Dryad.
Attachments
Lago Ospizio, Piz Cambrena, 03.08.24
Lago Ospizio, Piz Cambrena, 03.08.24
Arran Brown, Cavaglia, 03.08.24
Arran Brown, Cavaglia, 03.08.24
Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Cavaglia, 03.08.24
Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Cavaglia, 03.08.24
Thor's Fritillary, Cavaglia, 03.08.24
Thor's Fritillary, Cavaglia, 03.08.24
Titania's Fritillary, Cavaglia, 03.08.24
Titania's Fritillary, Cavaglia, 03.08.24
Adonis Blue, Filisur, 03.08.24
Adonis Blue, Filisur, 03.08.24
Scotch Argus, Filisur, 03.08.24
Scotch Argus, Filisur, 03.08.24
Wood White, Filisur, 03.08.24
Wood White, Filisur, 03.08.24
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

The fourth day of my holiday - Sunday 4th August - was the best butterfly day of the holiday.

I split the day into two parts.

In the morning I took the train south to the Engadine Valley, to La Punt Chameus-ch.

It was a steep walk up to the site, and as it was early in the day, there didn't seem to be many butterflies.

I managed to see Niobe Fritillary, both male and female, and a nice Silver-spotted Skipper.

I took the train back to Pontresina and walked up Val Roseg again - much drier this time.

There were plenty of Titania's Fritillaries, Lesser Marbled Fritillaries, both male and female Amanda's Blue, Mazarine Blue, Alpine Heath and Dark Green Fritillary.
Attachments
La Punt, 04.08.24
La Punt, 04.08.24
Niobe Fritillary male, La Punt, 04.08.24
Niobe Fritillary male, La Punt, 04.08.24
Niobe Fritillary female, La Punt, 04.08.24
Niobe Fritillary female, La Punt, 04.08.24
Amanda's Blue, Val Roseg, 04.08.24
Amanda's Blue, Val Roseg, 04.08.24
Alpine Heath, Val Roseg, 04.08.24
Alpine Heath, Val Roseg, 04.08.24
Lesser Marbled Fritillary, Val Roseg, 04.08.24
Lesser Marbled Fritillary, Val Roseg, 04.08.24
Dark Green Fritillary, Val Roseg, 04.08.24
Dark Green Fritillary, Val Roseg, 04.08.24
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

In the afternoon of the fourth day of my holiday - Sunday 4th August - I took the train the short distance to Spinas - Beverin Valley.

I have not been to Spinas for 8 years, because the Rhaetian Railway have been building a new Albula tunnel - this can be seen in the photo of the Bernina Express exiting the new tunnel, with the old tunnel to the left.

I walked up the gravel track in search of butterflies - it seemed much further than I remembered. There were not many butterflies - the occasional Titania's Fritillary and Mountain Brown Argus.

On retracing my steps going downhill, it was slightly more promising - an Eros Blue - not seen since 2013! Also Dark Green Fritillary.

No sign of Silvery Argus - although there was plenty of Meadow Cranesbill.

Back at Filisur, I found Common Blue for the first time.

At the buddleia next to the flat where I used to stay there were the usual Red Admiral, Brimstone, Dryad and Meadow Brown.

I waited and a Southern White Admiral came down past the first house, and the second house and onto the buddleia in front of me.

I last filmed Southern White Admiral on this buddleia in 2014, 10 years ago - it is in my DVD: Swiss Butterflies East.
Attachments
RhB, Bernina Express, Spinas, 04.08.24
RhB, Bernina Express, Spinas, 04.08.24
Eros Blue, Spinas, 04.08.24
Eros Blue, Spinas, 04.08.24
Mountain Brown Argus, Spinas, 04.08.24
Mountain Brown Argus, Spinas, 04.08.24
Titania's Fritillary, Spinas, 04.08.24
Titania's Fritillary, Spinas, 04.08.24
Southern White Admiral, Filisur, 04.08.24
Common Blue, Filisur, 04.08.24
Common Blue, Filisur, 04.08.24
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

On the fifth day of my holiday - Monday 5th August - I took the train to Oberalppass.

This is a very scenic, high altitude lake, with the possibility of high mountain butterflies.

However, not many butterflies flying - only managed three to photograph - Alpine Heath, Large Grizzled Skipper and Mountain Marsh Fritillary (debilis)

Returning from Oberalppass, I visited Versam-Safien. I visited last in 2017 - things have changed. The superb buddleia has gone, replaced by a Canoeing Centre building - so no Silver-washed Fritillaries, High Brown Fritillaries, Dryads, Maps or White Admirals. I only saw a couple of Chalkhill Blues and an Adonis Blue - very disappointing.
Attachments
Oberalppass, 05.08.24
Oberalppass, 05.08.24
Alpine Heath, Oberalppass, 05.08.24
Alpine Heath, Oberalppass, 05.08.24
Large Grizzled Skipper, Oberalppass, 05.08.24
Large Grizzled Skipper, Oberalppass, 05.08.24
Mountain Marsh Fritillary, Oberalppass, 05.08.24
Mountain Marsh Fritillary, Oberalppass, 05.08.24
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

On the sixth and final day of my holiday - Tuesday August 6th - I went to Biberbrugg in Schwyz.

It is 5 years since I was last here - enjoying Map Butterflies, Scarce Large Blue and Alcon Blue - not this time though.

I did see some very flighty Silver-washed Fritillaries and the usual Brimstone (on Cabbage Thistle) and Ringlet.

Back at Filisur - a last look at the buddleia - found a Comma for the first time on the holiday.
Attachments
Brimstone, Biberbrugg, 06.08.24
Brimstone, Biberbrugg, 06.08.24
Ringlet, Biberbrugg, 06.08.24
Ringlet, Biberbrugg, 06.08.24
Comma, Filisur, 06.08.24
Comma, Filisur, 06.08.24
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

I managed to visit Kiplingcotes again on Tuesday August 13th.

It was very disappointing, only one Brimstone and one Peacock, a couple of Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers.

This summer has been terrible for butterflies and hoping for better in the future just isn't going to be good enough.

I think we need Butterfly Conservation to have breeding programmes for all our species.

It is no good saving Large Blue and Chequered Skipper if we have lost most of our common butterflies such as Large White, Small White,

Green-veined White, Orange Tip, Meadow Brown, Small Heath, Wall, Ringlet, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Comma, Common Blue, Small Copper,

Small Skipper and Large Skipper.

Coupled with the breeding programmes, there needs to be effort to join up habitat - in towns and the countryside.
Attachments
Peacock, Kiplingcotes, 13.08.24
Brimstone, Kiplingcotes, 13.08.24
Brimstone, Kiplingcotes, 13.08.24
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

jasonsargerson wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:29 pm I think we need Butterfly Conservation to have breeding programmes for all our species.

It is no good saving Large Blue and Chequered Skipper if we have lost most of our common butterflies such as Large White, Small White, Green-veined White, Orange Tip, Meadow Brown, Small Heath, Wall, Ringlet, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Comma, Common Blue, Small Copper, Small Skipper and Large Skipper.

Coupled with the breeding programmes, there needs to be effort to join up habitat - in towns and the countryside.
I'm not sure we'll lose the widespread species - they just need to habitat and conditions to be able to recover. And we can't negate the effects of climate change in some cases (e.g. Small Tortoiseshell, with unsuitable nettles during the second brood).

For other species (including extinct species that could be reintroduced such as Mazarine Blue) there is a lot of discussion regarding "translocation" / "assisted colonisation". I'm definitely in the camp of considering such interventions quite seriously and also learning the lessons of how to captive rear some of these species, since this is also part of the equation (as is done for Large Blue, Marsh Fritillary, Heath Fritillary) etc. This, of course, is in addition to understanding habitat suitability, species ecology etc. ... in other words, doing things 'properly'.

Getting everyone to work together (conservation staff, breeders, experienced amateurs) has also been a focus for me - but this isn't always possible given the personalities involved!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

A tale of woe, by the sounds of it Jason. Very similar to many peoples observations here this year. Truth be told, it hasn’t rained here in East Anglia for a month. But the good weather has come to late for our beloved insects.

Couple of years ago, butterfly numbers dropped due to the foodplants shrivelling in the drought. This year the foodplants are lush and healthy. But butterfly numbers have dropped again...

Return to “Personal Diaries”