A mating pair - but which species?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
millerd

A mating pair - but which species?

Post by millerd »

Despite mostly cloudy skies and occasional drizzle, I found both Small and Essex Skippers flying on my local patch today (as well as quite a few other species). I stopped to take a few shots here and there to try and ID some of them, and focused in on a male Small Skipper.
SS2 050724.JPG
What I didn't notice immediately was that in the background there was also a mating pair.
SS1 050724.JPG
When I finally spotted them, I assumed that as the other male was taking an interest, they were Small Skippers as well. However, looking at the images of the pairing at leisure, the butterfly on the left (which I assume is the male) seems to have the dark-underside antennae tips of an Essex Skipper, whereas the female butterfly on the right seems to have the orange-underside tips of a Small Skipper.
pair5 050724.JPG
pair4 050724.JPG
I appreciate that the lowish light levels don't make for crystal-clear photos, and as I didn't twig the difference at the time I didn't get any definitive shots (which annoyingly would have been easy as the pair weren't going anywhere in a hurry!).

The small area where this all took place has a mix of both species, which doesn't help. The question remains - are these Small, are they Essex, or is this an example of interspecific mating? Are there any other details discernable from these photos that would confirm the ID one way or another?

Any suggestions welcome... :)

Dave
David Lazarus

Re: A mating pair - but which species?

Post by David Lazarus »

I will go with Essex Skipper. The evidence is not quite visible for either the sex brand on the male in the background or the undersides of the antennae. Slight guess work - the sex brand, although quite deep/thick seems parallel with the edge of the wing. His antennae seem compatible with the ends of an Essex. A little bit of bleeding into the veins. The colour of the undersides is not convincing either way for me. Whereas the undersides of the female are compatible with Essex, I think, and the shape of the ends of her antennae. However, I cannot see the undersides well enough to say definite Essex. I may be wrong but the orange/brown doesn’t seem to belong to the underside. Anyway, a real challenge because of the lack of all the evidence. :roll:
Last edited by David Lazarus on Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Dave - just to throw more confusion into the mix, a study by Barry Henwood, documented in "A Small Skipper, Thymelicus sylvestnis (Poda) with Black Undersides of the Antennal Tips" and published in Atropos in 2014, gives an example of a Small Skipper that contradicts the ‘rule’. The picture provided of the specimen is below. Based on this, I'd suggest that you're looking at a pair of Small Skipper, not least because this is presumably more likely than an inter-species pairing.
Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 17.49.51.png
Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

For comparison, Dave, these are Essex Skipper in cop taken today at the local meadow:
2024.07.05 Essex Skipper Meadgate Fields 01.jpg
Essex Skipper in cop<br />Meadgate Fields Open Space 05/07/2024
Essex Skipper in cop
Meadgate Fields Open Space 05/07/2024
Last edited by David Lazarus on Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

After the information provided by Pete I have changed my mind - Small Skipper hahahahaha :roll: :lol: :roll:

it is one of the skippers :cry:
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hmmm!. For the past few years I have been seeing many Small skippers being called as Essex Skippers based on some very dubious views of antennae, many of which do not clearly show the underside or show a vague graduation of colour. Small Skippers will often show this graduated look that can appear to be black but in reality is a dark brown.
I have gradually come around to the personal view that if it is does not show a clearly defined 'dipped in black paint' look, then it is not Essex, that is just my own view and one that I feel comfortable with, others may have a different view.

The photo below shows an example from last year of the only look that I will now record as Essex Skipper, unless of course it is a male and I have a good view of the sex brand.
Wagon Lane 06.07.2023 0421 resize.JPG
Cheers,

Neil
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'd go with everyone else, Small Skippers. I've come to the same conclusion as Neil (we've no doubt seen many of the same posts as we've slapped our hands to our faces) unless it's a nice clean antennae with a very obvious black tip, it's a Small. I think the problem these days is people have stopped treating guide books as guides and started treating them as religious texts!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I think we have a consensus here: they are Small Skippers. With the other one (a definite Small) taking an interest in the pair, it is logical that the female would be, and given the potential variation described above it follows that the male of the pairing is Small as well. Occam's Razor - the simplest explanation is probably the best!

Thank you everyone for your input!

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You know what I was saying yesterday about unless it's got a nice clean antennae with an obvious black tip, it's a Small? Yea scratch that, I was talking rubbish, Durlston Country Park today :roll:
IMG_0496.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

bugboy wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:16 pm You know what I was saying yesterday about unless it's got a nice clean antennae with an obvious black tip, it's a Small? Yea scratch that, I was talking rubbish, Durlston Country Park today :roll:
That is my experience here in Essex 🧐
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex

Return to “Identification”