ernie f

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: ernie f

Post by millerd »

ernie f wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:22 pm ...Has anyone else seen this strange phenomenon?...
Only today I was following a Meadow Brown along a hedgerow when it dipped behind a bush and re-emerged a second later as a faded Comma. it happens a lot... :)

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love the Skipper on the Orchid - I could do with that one in my collection :mrgreen: Speaking of which you're not paranoid Ernie - over the years there have been a few 'lurkers' on UKB :? it's a shame as people that genuinely want to marvel at the variation miss out but then keeping 'mum' works out better for the butterfly in the end :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Maximus wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:06 pm...Perhaps this delay helps to protect abs or rare species from collectors who are clearly still operating in the UK in 2024.
They're still around, and abs are a favourite quarry. Probably best to err on the side of caution when reporting any you see.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

millerd wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:03 pm
ernie f wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:22 pm ...Has anyone else seen this strange phenomenon?...
Only today I was following a Meadow Brown along a hedgerow when it dipped behind a bush and re-emerged a second later as a faded Comma. it happens a lot... :)

Dave
A not unusual phenomenon in August I find. Many a time a single Brown Hairstreak has morphed into half a dozen Gatekeeper right before my eyes :lol:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Locally

Large Blues are starting to increase. Yesterday I saw one and today at the same place I saw three. Even though I was early both days, it was already so warm and sunny they refused to open their wings, even when I purposefully stood between them and the sun so they were in shade they stubbornly refused to play ball.
P1270831.JPG
P1270823.JPG
At home

I found a moth in the sitting room. I think it is 'The Fern'.
The Fern.JPG
And in the garden, a Scarlet Tiger Moth flew through without stopping

I spent a valuable afternoon removing wildlife from my sitting room. First it was that moth, then the cat brought in a live mouse so I had to extricate it from the jaws of the cat and deposit it outside so it could run off then a fly came in and I spent more time than I really wanted to trying to shoo it out of an open window.

Foxy Feature

Same afternoon I heard a loud scream coming from our back garden. I rushed out to find a small fox running away and our cat with a smug look on his face, victorious against this 'puny' opposition.
Ernie F
David M

Post by David M »

Nice to hear Large Blues are thriving at that site, ernie. I'll have to miss out on them there this year.

Return to “Personal Diaries”