May 2024

Discussion forum for sightings.
Neil Freeman

Re: May 2024

Post by Neil Freeman »

millerd wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:54 am Cheers, Ben - I'm glad I'm not alone in wanting to cut through some of the misinformation we come across. :)

A broader factual view of the whole of this spring across the UK is at the end of this link:
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/n ... for-the-uk

Dave
As ever with these sets of data, the devil is in the details, especially when looking closely at the maps.

Also, this particular bit stood out to me...

“High overnight temperatures through the season have helped to push the mean temperature figure for the season beyond the previous record, while it has also been a wet spring for many.”

This certainly chimes with what I have seen in my neck of the woods with many mild nights that were also wet and windy.

The fact remains that I have not known a spring around here in recent years that has been so dull and felt so cold so often.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorting through my photos from Compton Down in May I found myself quite impressed by the range of variation in the Marshies I saw. I know that they are a highly variable species but they seemed particularly so from this site.
1 DSC_0204 - Copy.JPG
2 DSC_0546 - Copy.JPG
3 DSC_0327 - Copy.JPG
4 DSC_0631 - Copy.JPG
5 DSC_0271 - Copy.JPG
6 DSC_0459 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Yes, Wurzel, Marsh Frits show a good range of variation. The variation even between 'your' female, and 'ours' with its more muted colours is amazing.

P1470420.jpgMResize.JPG

Return to “Sightings”