Greek White

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Andy02

Greek White

Post by Andy02 »

Having spent a week on Mount Chelmos it was time to attend a wedding on the Athens peninsula. Not the greatest butterfly location but , nonetheless, each morning I set off up the mountains behind our accommodation. They ranged in altitude between 750 - 1000 mtrs asl. The flora was not particularly special and mostly consisted of thistles and other common coastal Mediterranean vegetation on sparse , rocky terrain.
However , it was much to the liking of Great Sooty Satyr S.ferula and Balkan Marbled White M.Larissa of which there were 100+ of each . There were no Blues and only Mallow skipper C.alceae, Swallowtail P.Machaon, Eastern Bath white P.edusa in low numbers.
I did , however , come across a single small white whose identity troubled me only once I returned to our accommodation and reviewed the single image I took.
I have attached the image for discussion. My initial thoughts were A.ergane .
Attachments
DSC09620.jpeg
petesmith

Re: Greek White

Post by petesmith »

Looks good for ergane to me Andy! That apical spot is exactly the right shape.
Andy02

Re: Greek White

Post by Andy02 »

Thanks Pete and thanks Paul Selby for a previous discussion on this. Despite the low density of species here it was great spending time watching S . Ferula and M . Larissa at close range.
DSC09618.jpeg
DSC09622.jpeg
Also , thoroughly enjoyed the wedding as G . Pumilio was on the wing at the venue .
Attachments
DSC09507.jpeg

Return to “Overseas”