Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Goldie M

Post by David M »

Growing up in the north west, I know only too well that there are plenty of things to capture the attention of naturalists, Goldie.

The coastal area around Morecambe Bay and the Lakes generally are beautiful areas.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel and David, Sparrow Hawks always look haughty Wurzel but it was challenged one day when it got too near a Magpies nest :D It was challenged by the Female and the Male, it's the first time I'd seen a bird get so close , I'v seen Seagulls have a go but they were always flying :D

I've put a photo in , it's not too :D good I'd to take it through the window :D

Hi! David, I didn't know you'd lived in the North West :D Your right of course, the area is fantastic and the views from the top of Arnside Knot looking at the Lake District are great, we used to go up to the Lakes a lot in the Summer time, Memories are for ever :D Goldie :D
Attachments
Sparrow Hawk Show Down.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Doesn't sound like a fair fight to me what with the Magpies ganging up on the Sprawk, it still looks a little haughty though :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:44 pmHi! David, I didn't know you'd lived in the North West :D Your right of course, the area is fantastic and the views from the top of Arnside Knot looking at the Lake District are great, we used to go up to the Lakes a lot in the Summer time..
One of my favourite parts of the world, Goldie.

I lived near Liverpool for all my childhood. Moved to Manchester when I was thirty, and then to Wales just over two years after leaving university.

The Gower is a great place, but I miss those northern accents!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

At Last!!! I've seen some Butterflies :D I've been doing lots in the Garden hoping I'd see something ,I did, a Brimstone flew past me also a Peacock :roll: I made up for it today I actually got some shots of a Peacock in Tankerton Park and to my surprise a Holly Blue appeared, it gave a stop, start, ride :D It kept going in the mud around the parks roses , I don't remember seeing one so early so even though the shot isn't too good I still was keen to catch this early shot :lol:

Yesterday I went to Monkton Nature Reserve I saw a Peacock there also a Comma but it was cloudy and although the Sun did appear at times it was much cooler than today and very muddy, part of the reserve was cut off because the Pond was flooded still ,get a few more days like this,( although the forecast is for cooler weather,) it's all systems go now :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0352.jpeg
IMG_0348.jpeg
IMG_0344.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg
IMG_0345.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Well done with that Holly Blue, Goldie! I don't think I've ever seen one this early in the year. :mrgreen: :) They do love muddy puddles, and there are plenty of those around...

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Now that's a turn up Goldie, you beating Millerd to the first Holly Blue on here!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking work with the Holly Blue Goldie 8) Lovely looking Peacock shots too - here's to many more over the next couple of weeks, the weather has to turn at some point... :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Love it, Goldie. That's a really early Holly Blue. :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks everybody, :D I couldn't believe it when I first saw it, I'm tempted to go back there today ,the gardens are well sheltered from the wind off the sea and when the Sun is out quite hot, I thought I saw more than one but it could have been the same one :lol:

I'm out with my Daughter today so it may mean some arm twitching :lol: Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Today I went to Castle Park in Tankerton , the Sun was shinning and for once the wind wasn't too bad ,although it still felt chilly, I'm glad I went early because by lunch time the Sun had disappeared again :roll:

My Granddaughter's wedding is in four weeks and I've missed a few days when I could have been out , but important things come first when it's family :D Anyway I made up for it this morning I saw a Holly Blue again, also a Speckie, a Small White and a Green Veined White , the GVW looked to be wearing Specks :lol: it was very quick any way I only got a quick shot before it looked off , I still get mixed up with the Whites even now :D The Small White was missing some wing, no wonder with the weather like it's been.

I'm doing okay with the Garden, the Sweet Peas I planted are growing so hope fully they may entice a few more Butterflies later, it's all go here at present but I'm so pleased I saw the Butterflies today :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0366.jpeg
IMG_0367.jpeg
IMG_0364.jpeg
IMG_0371.jpeg
IMG_0374.jpeg
IMG_0399.jpeg
IMG_0384.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see your shots Goldie :D and good to hear that you're still able to get out even with the upcoming Granddaughters nuptials :D You're doing better than me as I've still to photograph a Small White :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Looks like things are developing well round your way, Goldie. Lovely to see that Holly Blue. :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel and David, I've only seen a few Whites Wurzel and they were all in a hurry :D Luckily this one stopped, I've been to Monkton NR and plan to go there again with it being sheltered and in a quarry it could be okay for Green Hair Streak, fingers crossed, I've missed them for a couple of years.

Hi! David, my granddaughter is getting married near to a Nature Reserve so my camera could be taking shots of Butterflies as well as the Bride :lol: ( Hope fully ) :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Just got back from shopping today and found this Holly Blue in my Garden, the Sun was out and then it disappeared into cloudy skies again lucky for me the Butterfly didn't move, it's the first in the Garden this year, if, all goes well it won't be the last :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0418.jpeg
IMG_0412.jpeg
IMG_0409.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

It's always good to find butterflies waiting for you at home like that, Goldie! :) That Holly Blue may well still be there in the morning too...

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Cheers Dave, Last year they were in the Garden every day it seemed :D In the end I just sat there and watched them :D I'm hoping this year will have the same out look :D Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went to Castle Park in Tankerton today, I saw the Butterflies I still wanted but got no shots :roll: The Ot's never landed, ( at least I know they're flying here now) a Brimstone flew into the tree's , and a Comma made a brief encounter but also kept to the trees.

I did get my first Red Admiral shots so I was pleased with that, also got a shot of a Peacock ( rather weathered now ) another Speckie shot, some shots of the Whites and lastly a Holly Blue shot , I was just leaving when it landed :D

I'll have to try again tomorrow before the weather shuts down again, I want to look for a Green Hair streak now, I thought it would be too busy today at the Monkton NR where they were sighted last year, I'll save that until the schools are back again.Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_0442.jpeg
IMG_0437.jpeg
IMG_0438.jpeg
IMG_0428.jpeg
IMG_0427.jpeg
IMG_0422.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely looking Small White in among those great shots Goldie :D "I'll save that until the schools are back again"...sounds like a plan as by then the weather will have drastically improved no doubt :roll: :wink: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's a nice return, Goldie. At last we have had a bit of benign weather.

Good luck with the wedding next month!

Return to “Personal Diaries”