Male or female?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
David M

Male or female?

Post by David M »

Don't worry, I haven't gone mad - I know this butterfly is African Migrant, seen recently on the island of Tenerife.

However, I'd like to know if there is someone with more experience of this butterfly than me (I have only ever seen 6 individuals) who can maybe confirm (or rebut) the conclusion I have been edging towards.

I saw three males in Tenerife last year, and I thought this year's three were males too, given that they were a creamy white colour in flight.

One of this year's three was seen nectaring on an ornamental plant:
Florella1paint.JPG
Those unh discal markings I have circled in blue look like those depicted in Tolman for the female, in contrast to the single spot in the male:
FlorellaTolman.jpg
The small tear in the hindwing shows a creamy white upperside, although Tolman states that female sometimes greenish-white, resembling male.

Another individual was seen around the cassia shrubs nearby. Unlike last year's males, this individual kept alighting on the lhp, although never for more than a few seconds. I thought this was strange because this upperside captured accidentally when the butterfly took to the air clearly shows the coloration of the male:
Florella2(1).JPG
When reviewing my images, this one showed what looks to be ovipositing behaviour which would explain the frequent stops on the lhp:
Florella3(1).JPG
I believe both the above to be females, rather than males. Is anyone able to shed more light on this?
Jack Harrison

Re: Male or female?

Post by Jack Harrison »

I had a very strange experience with Catopsilia florella, the African migrant. This is an extraordinary story.

In my Air Force days, I used to fly regularly to Malta where I sometimes had free time.  But I also went to many other places such as Gibraltar and Cyprus.

In the early 1960s I caught (by hand) a Catopsilia florella somewhere, and I thought it of little consequence.  I am far from sure where I caught it, but it was probably Malta.  I had further extended stays in Malta in the early 1970s and got to know the island's butterfly expert, Anthony Valletta.  He spoke good English, but his wife didn't.  On a visit to Tony's house, his wife - by sign language - explained her irritation at finding Swallowtail pupae all around the house.

Anyway, I had given Tony the remains of my Catopsilia florella a few years earlier and he confirmed the identity.  He accepted my location as being on the RAF base of Luqa.   Catopsilia florella entered the list of extremely rare migrants to Malta, but hardly an unexpected occasional visitor.  However, I don't think it has been seen there since.  So the "extremely rare migrant" status in Malta is based on my somewhat dubious capture.  Yes, the species was correct but the location...????

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack, Tolman states: Recorded from Malta in 1963.

Is that your sighting?
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Jack, Tolman states: Recorded from Malta in 1963.

Is that your sighting?
Yes, but a very iffy sighting as I explained. I recall that it was on Buddleia, a somewhat unusual plant for Malta.

I have looked at my flying log books to see if I can find clues where else I might have been but no joy. Butterflies, while an interest, were not a priority for a 24 year old. I wanted to be good at my job : Success - I became a transport aircraft captain in 1964 :D
and chase girls - very low success rate :(

Jack
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

A very interesting read regarding this butterfly. I took a couple of photos in the grounds of a hotel in Lagos while visiting Nigeria on a business trip a few years back.

I often wondered what it was.

Bert.
Attachments
P1090673.jpeg
P1090670.jpeg
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I have seen this species in Tenerife and Mauritius. In Mauritius the males are always white and the females have a white or yellow form.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Bertl/Nick. Pale female it undoubtedly is!

Return to “Identification”