Large Blue - Favourite Photo of 2023

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 8

So with the Social passed and the weather really turning wintry (for now at any rate) what better time to snuggle up with the warmth of the laptop and continue selecting your Favourite shots from 2023?

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Large Blue - Favourite Photo of 2023

Post by Wurzel »

Large Blue

This was taken at Collard Hill back at the start of June one of my ‘twofer’ trips. I’d arrived after a whistle stop tour round Priddy had produced the goods Small pearl wise on the second time of asking, and had ran into a Large Blue almost immediately at the bottom of the hill. However it refused to stop and so I wandered off muttering and wondering if I’d be able to get any shots. I needn’t have worried as at the far end there were several flying along the various little tracks formed by either the process of ‘creep’ or livestock traversing the steep down. Of all the ones that I saw this was the stand out individual as it was so beautifully marked and the blue really shone out in the oncoming gloom.
LB 10-06-2023b 10.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Aside from generally being bigger than other UK blues (as the name suggests), they really can be a a striking deep blue - both characteristics make them relatively easy to identify when there are also Common Blues around. I spent two days at Collard Hill in June: both were hot and sunny, but I arrived on day one with about an hour before early cloud cleared and managed to find one with its wings open.
LB8 120623.JPG
The rest of the time the good numbers I saw all kept tightly shut (even at seven in the morning on the second day...). I did find a mating pair though, tucked right down in the grass.
LB pair2 130623.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

On 16th June at Daneway Banks, I saw a healthy 16 Large Blues, although given the hot conditions photographing them was tricky:
14a.LgeBlfemups(1).jpg
14a.LgeBluns(1).jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Christmas decorations with a difference...
P1060192.jpg
A very happy Christmas and a butterfly-filled 2024 to you all!
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:55 pmChristmas decorations with a difference...
Where did you get those, Chris?
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

David M wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:25 pm
Matsukaze wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:55 pmChristmas decorations with a difference...
Where did you get those, Chris?
https://fearlessflamingo.com/collection ... ecorations
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous little business. Thanks, Chris. I will be making some purchases for sure.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

By far and away my best ever encounter with the species at Daneway Banks this year. I came away with in excess for 20 individuals and arrived early to find a cool morning with the sun just starting to break the cloud making in perfect for photographing this glorious insect, many of which looked very fresh. Impossible to pick a favourite so a small selection...
Large Blue female, Daneway Banks #1.JPG
Large Blue female, Daneway Banks #2.JPG
Large Blue female, Daneway Banks #4.JPG
a rather dusky one,
Large Blue female, Daneway Banks #3.JPG
and my first ever in cop with this species.
Large Blue mating, Daneway Banks.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Large Blue”