Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2023

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 7

Next week advent begins :shock: and so as we hurtle on into the dark and cold winter :? hopefully these Favourite posts will offer up a bit of much needed cheer! :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Heath Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2023

Post by millerd »

My only audience with this delightful butterfly was at Pound Wood in Essex after seeing the WLH nearby at Hadleigh CP on 26th June. The sun was in most of the time, but each time it broke through, the clearing came alive with dancing orange and brown butterflies. Here are two of them, the first sitting nicely on a bit of the abundant cow-wheat.
HF21 260623.JPG
HF25 260623.JPG
Dave
David Lazarus

Post by David Lazarus »

A rather faded specimen from late in the flight period at Hockley Woods in Essex, but beautiful nonetheless, from a very active group of 22 mostly nectaring in the morning sun. 40+ were seen in mid-June.
Heath Fritillary 07/07/2023
Heath Fritillary 07/07/2023
David Lazarus
Chelmsford, Essex
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I particularly enjoy this species, partly because I have helped with the habitat management at some of the Essex sites, without which the colonies would disappear. After working in a cold, muddy wood in the depths of winter it is very satisfying to visit the woods in June and see good numbers of Heath Fritillary enjoying the sunny rides.
Attachments
Heath Fritillary, Essex, 10 June
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw my first Heath Fritillary on the 9th of June , strange to say it was the only one a round at the time, at East Blean Woods.

When I went back to EBW on the 6th of July there was a few more but not so many as in previous years, I did go back off and on in June but didn't see more than six or seven, may be I just hit the wrong days :) Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8572.JPG
IMG_8815.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

The only image I can find of this species from this year was taken in the Alps in late June, where I had a brief opportunity to photograph Heath alongside False Heath Fritillaries (and an Almond-Eyed Ringlet too):
1.HthFseHthAERing(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Definitely this female is my favourite of the year, which, had it been seen on the continent I'm sure would have caused some confusion as to her identity.
Heath Fritillary ab. corythallia, Hockley Wood.JPG
as well as catching my attention, she was also caught the attention of several males which enabled me to capture her heavily marked underside.
Heath Fritillary ab. corythallia courting, Hockley Wood.JPG
a third image I really like is of a mating pair I found a week later in the same clearing
Heath Fritillary mating, Hockley Wood.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:40 pm..had it been seen on the continent I'm sure would have caused some confusion as to her identity..
For sure! The undersides are especially strange.

Return to “Heath Fritillary”