October 2023

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

October 2023

Post by David M »

After an amazingly warm first half to September, what can we expect from the month where traditionally butterfly numbers fall from a cliff?

Should still be a few migrants about, particularly in the first week or so.
SarahM

Re: October 2023

Post by SarahM »

I wonder if anyone could comment on this butterfly seen in my garden. When I first saw it I thought it was a Large White, but on closing it's wings it looked more like a GVW. Is this a hybrid, or could it be Ab. Venata seen on this site or a normal variation?

Thanks,
Sarah.
9U6A9678.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Judging by the extensive apical markings, I'd say this is a Large White, Sarah, albeit one with an abnormally concentrated black suffusion on the hindwing undersides.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I agree with David, Sarah.

Going by the that dark patch on the top edge of the hindwing, I'd say that is not a Small White. The overall wing shape looks wrong for Green-veined, and though it is very heavily marked, the dark scaling doesn't look right to me for for this species either. Without anything specific to measure it by, size is tricky to estimate, but it also looks too big for GVW. My guess is that it is a Large White, though quite an unusual one.

Someone more clued-up on butterfly abs than me may be able to find a name for it! :)

Cheers,

Dave
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Thank you for your comments David and Dave.

I saw the butterfly again this afternoon. Size and upperside markings were typically Large White. I was just puzzled by the underside markings but I accept they are a variation of normal.

Sarah.
David M

Post by David M »

The length of the antennae are also a giveaway, Sarah.

They're very long in Large White, with a clear, white tip at the end.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Ab. Venata seems to fit most closely although this one is more extreme than any I can see on the various sites.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

I was at Lancing on the Sussex coast at the weekend and so on Sunday 1st October, I took some time to follow-up on whether Red Admirals were on their reverse-migration. I saw seven flying east and west along the seafront, but none actually going out to sea. The wind at the time was south westerly. There were also four very fresh-looking examples feeding on the same clump of ivy. Also seen were 10 Small White and a Large White. Most interestingly, however were four Painted Lady which were all feeding on a small clump of Verbena. Looking at my photos, I managed to confirm that three of the individuals were definitely there the previous day (for four and a half hours) and all four were again observed for several hours before I had to leave.
Painted Lady - Lancing, Sussex 30-Sept-2023
Painted Lady - Lancing, Sussex 30-Sept-2023
Painted Ladies - lancing, Sussex 1-Oct-2023
Painted Ladies - lancing, Sussex 1-Oct-2023
They all looked in reasonably good condition and I suspect that they were feeding-up and waiting for the right weather conditions to cross into Europe. Had they been in-bound migrants, then I would have thought that they would have dispersed by the end of the first day, but I am open to suggestions.

Vince
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Thanks Bugboy.

It's good to know I picked out the same ab. as yourself.

Sarah.
Bertl

Post by Bertl »

At least 20 Red admiral on the wing and a couple of comma butterfly seen at Logie Steading near Forres at lunchtime today.

Cheers

Bert.
Attachments
DSC_8849.jpeg
DSC_8874.jpeg
DSC_8796.jpeg
DSC_8781.jpeg
DSC_8741.jpeg
DSC_8717.jpeg
DSC_8710.jpeg
DSC_8700.jpeg
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

The usual October fare in the garden today. Melksham, Wiltshire

11 x Red Admiral
1 x Peacock
1 x Comma
1 x Large White
1 x Small White
3rd October
3rd October
3rd October
3rd October
3rd October
3rd October
3rd October
3rd October
3rd October
3rd October
millerd

Post by millerd »

Today's sunshine (following two largely cloudy but very warm days) brought out over 50 butterflies on my local patch, with nine species being represented.

The third brood of Holly Blues is starting to appear, attempting to share the ivy with all the Red Admirals.
HB3 031023.JPG
A single Comma was there too.
Comma1 031023.JPG
I managed a close approach to a Large White for a change - I think the urge to feed overcame its usual restlessness.
LW2 031023.JPG
Also seen: Small White, Speckled Wood, Brown Argus, Common Blue and Small Copper.
SC1 031023.JPG
However, Red Admirals dominated, with a mix of migrating individuals flying higher up towards the sun, bigger numbers feeding up on the ivy...
RA1 031023.JPG
...and one or two setting up territories and taking minerals from the ground - or from other sources!
RA5 031023.JPG
A fuller account of the day will appear at some point in my PD.

Dave
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

With a temperature of a mere 10.5 C, Red Admiral enjoying Michaelmas Daisies in my north Scottish garden today, 4th October.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

SNC-23-10-04-HS2.jpg
Jack
millerd

Post by millerd »

Railway cuttings/embankments can make fine nature reserves and habitat corridors, Jack! They may have played a role in the relatively rapid spread to Scotland of the Comma - you never know! :)

Another sunny morning today (4th) on my local patch and after about ten o'clock it warmed up quite rapidly. I found another fifty butterflies of ten species today: the extra one added to yesterday's tally was a Peacock avidly nectaring on thistles and knapweed (of which there is no shortage at present).
PK1 041023.JPG
Just to provide an overall picture, here are some shots of the four species that didn't get in the frame on yesterday's post.
SW1 041023.JPG
SpW1 041023.JPG
CB5 041023.JPG
BA1 041023.JPG
There was also one curiosity. I followed what I took by its size and yellowish-cream colouring in flight to be another female Small White. Unfortunately, it was very skittish and only allowed one brief shot before it was off into the distance, which was a pity as it was unusually heavily marked.
LW-SW 041023.JPG
As ever, a fuller account with all the species seen today will appear before too long in my PD.

Dave
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

In Lancing again today. Whilst checking for Painted Ladies on a clump of Verbena, a blue butterfly caught my attention.
It turned out to be a male Long-tailed Blue in quite good condition. It was around for about 5 minutes, but I only managed 3 photos before I lost track of it. Time was 14.37, temperature 19C with a south-westerly wind at 14mph.
Long-tailed Blue - Lancing , Sussex 5-Oct-2023
Long-tailed Blue - Lancing , Sussex 5-Oct-2023
The flowers are in a communal area adjacent to my garden and bearing in mind that I planted them, I'm counting the sighting as a garden tick :D .
The location is 65 metres from the beach and 10m from the Swallowtail sighting in July. Also in the garden today were 2 Small White, 5 Red Admiral, 1 Painted Lady, 1 Small Copper and 2 Humming-bird Hawk Moths.

Vince
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Vince Massimo wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:19 pm The flowers are in a communal area adjacent to my garden and bearing in mind that I planted them, I'm counting the sighting as a garden tick :D
:lol: Brilliant. What a hotspot you have there, Vince!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Vince Massimo wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:19 pm...The flowers are in a communal area adjacent to my garden and bearing in mind that I planted them, I'm counting the sighting as a garden tick :D .
The location is 65 metres from the beach and 10m from the Swallowtail sighting in July. Also in the garden today were 2 Small White, 5 Red Admiral, 1 Painted Lady, 1 Small Copper and 2 Humming-bird Hawk Moths.
Seems like an epicentre for exotica, Vince. :)
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks Pete and David, it's a great location, but I only wish I had more garden space. However, I'm now going to make room to plant some Broad-leaved Everlasting Pea.

Vince
millerd

Post by millerd »

It sounds like almost any patch of nectar-rich flowers along the Sussex coast is worth a look at the moment! :) A great garden sighting, Vince. :mrgreen:

I treat my local patch as if it were a garden in some ways, as even a brief bit of sun can tempt me out for a look. There was a fair bit of sunshine today, and I had a couple of hours in this "garden" this morning... :) Aside from the continuing numbers of Red Admirals, today was notable for the first Green-veined White I've seen this month, probably third brood...
GVW1 061023.JPG
...a third brood Brown Argus...
BA1 061023.JPG
...a blue-badge Small Copper that doesn't appear to have featured on any of my walks recently...
SC1 061023.JPG
...and no fewer than four very new-looking Peacocks, three of which allowed photos.
PK3 061023.JPG
PK1 061023.JPG
PK2 061023.JPG
They were very widely separated, so I wouldn't like to guess whether they were re-awoken hibernators, or a second brood.

Dave

Return to “Sightings”