Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Trevor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant Brostreaks and LTBs Trevor :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I just need them to start working their way west a little more and a little more regularly :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:19 pmThis morning I travelled up to Whitehawk Hill for my first session with the Long Tailed Blues of the year....
Great you caught up with them, Trevor. Looks like that site (and a few others) will keep plenty of people occupied for the next few weeks.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Wurzel & David. Hopefully LTB fever awaits!

Yesterday morning I went over to Herstmonceux Castle, and a few beauties awaited my arrival
For those that like late Summer colour, how does the Peacock shot grab you ?.
Also present were fresh Large and Small Whites, two Painted Ladies and many fresh Small Coppers.

No third brood Walls or Clouded Yellows there at present.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1410105.JPG
P1410089.JPG
P1410098.JPG
P1410084.JPG
P1410078.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"For those that like late Summer colour, how does the Peacock shot grab you ?."...it grabs me quite forcefully and screams "look at me' 8) :lol:
The flowers there really do set the butterflies off beautifully 8) The Cloudies seem to be on the march so maybe they'll arrive at Herstmonceux any time now, fingers crossed for you :wink: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel, Talking of Cloudies.................

Yesterday there was a posting on facebook, UK butterflies, which although no location was given
was clearly from the LTB hot spot at Worthing. Also no LTB images were posted.
So with perfect weather I set off for Worthing this morning, and on arrival was met by the lovely
lady whose property fronts onto the beach ( Anyone who visited last September will remember her )
and she told me of a Clouded Yellow she'd seen earlier. As we talked a Cloudie flew by, and then another.
One of the two seen was a perfect, fresh ,female and was quite obliging for several photo sessions.

Clearly there were no Long Tailed Blues present, but a perfectly fresh Painted lady, a fiesty Small Copper,
and a Hummingbird Hawkmoth made the visit more than worthwhile.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1410120.JPG
P1410127.JPG
P1410117.JPG
P1410146.JPG
P1410138.JPG
P1410144.JPG
P1410141.JPG
P1410147.JPG
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Good work with the Painted Ladies!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Katrina. There seems to be quite a few fresh Painted Ladies around at the moment.
But my first Clouded Yellow of the year stole the show for me.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Great Cloudies, Trevor! :mrgreen: :) If they hang around, I may have to venture down that way soon... :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Dave. It was the superb weather that persuaded me to visit today.
If you remember it was towards the end of September last year when we enjoyed all that LTB action.
Only two, possibly three Cloudies present today.
John W

Post by John W »

trevor wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:37 pm Cheers Dave. It was the superb weather that persuaded me to visit today.
If you remember it was towards the end of September last year when we enjoyed all that LTB action.
Only two, possibly three Cloudies present today.
Hi Trevor,

I saw a Clouded Yellow at Herstmonceux yesterday. It stopped briefly on some verbena but not long enough for me to get a photo. It looked in good nick.

Cheers
John
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers John. That's good news about the Clouded Yellow, hopefully some 3rd brood Walls soon too.
Herstmonceux like Worthing seems to hit peak at the end of September.

Good to hear from you.
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:16 pm...As we talked a Cloudie flew by, and then another. One of the two seen was a perfect, fresh ,female and was quite obliging for several photo sessions...
Seen record numbers of Cloudies in Wales this last couple of weeks, Trevor, but none of them have been females. :mrgreen:
trevor

Post by trevor »

Seen record numbers of Cloudies in Wales this last couple of weeks, Trevor, but none of them have been females. :mrgreen:
[/quote]

That's good to hear, David, they are still reasonably scarce around here, but there's still time for improved numbers.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"Cheers Wurzel, Talking of Cloudies................." I reckon I manifested those for you Trevor :lol: Cracking collection of shots - and hopefully she'll have encountered a male or will do soon and there could be another round :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel. A Cloudie was reported at Herstmonceux the day after my last visit!
A certain law at work there I think. Now the weather has collapsed. Oh well!
trevor

Post by trevor »

A window of slightly better weather around lunchtime was all the incentive needed for
a trip to Herstmonceux Castle today. Of the dozen or so Small Coppers braving the strong breeze
one in particular stood out, it had the brightest orange markings I have ever seen!
Fortunately my camera almost captured the brilliant orange that could be seen by eye.
A surprise find was a brown female Common Blue in a sheltered spot.
Also braving the now deteriorating weather were several Large Whites and a fresh Red Admiral.

The hoped for male Wall Brown reported at the weekend did not show today.
Attachments
P1410175.JPG
P1410177.JPG
P1410166.JPG
P1410190.JPG
P1410181.JPG
P1410173.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

That Small Copper really stands out on the Michaelmas daisies, Trevor. Dazzling! :) When I was growing up in North London in the Sixties, Michaelmas daisies at this time of year were always covered in butterflies - not a common sight now, unfortunately.

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Dave. Unfortunately quite a lot of Verbena was removed last Winter
to make way for varieties of Michaelmas daisy. They don't have quite the
same attraction for butterflies in general, but Small Coppers like them.
trevor

Post by trevor »

A large patch of blue sky in the west this morning prompted another trip to Herstmonceux.
Unfortunately the blue sky never came further east, and drifted north, so it was milky
sunshine at best for the rest of the day.
An early sighting was of a lovely, fairly fresh, female 3rd brood Wall Brown. Unusually
no males could be found, though one was reported last week.
The rest of the day produced several fresh Red Admirals, Small Coppers, a female Common Blue,
and many Large and Small Whites.
A young Canadian girl student came up to me and asked what I was photographing. I was able to
point out a Small Copper for her. Apparently at home she was very familiar with the Monarch,
but was unfamiliar with the Mourning Cloak. I suggested the internet.
Attachments
P1410195.JPG
P1410191.JPG
P1410227.JPG
P1410228.JPG
P1410204.JPG
P1410208.JPG
P1410209.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant shots Trevor :D the Small Copper shots in particular and especially the face on one - awesome :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”