Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Neil Freeman

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Neil - she is a beaut 8) and such extensive orange markings :shock: they just seem to go on and on 8) You're right as well; when it comes to Brown Hairstreaks the more eyes the better 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments Pauline, Paul, Dave, Trevor and Wurzel.
It was one of my best sessions with Brown Hairstreaks to date :D

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Friday 25th August.

Not much to report this week. After a cloudy and windy couple of days to start the week, the past few days have been quite pleasant here with some good sunny periods mixed in with some cloudy spells.
A couple of walks down to my local spot by Wagon Lane, one on Wednesday afternoon and again this afternoon both just produced a few worn and faded Meadow Browns, a couple of worn male Common Blues, a couple of Speckled Wood and a few travelling whites in the distance but nothing worth pointing my camera at.
This is pretty much the normal state of things at this time of year here as with no late season specialities things usually begin to wind down around now. Of course, Speckled Wood will be around for a while yet and there should be some autumn Commas and maybe Red admirals still to come. Also depending on the weather we have over the next couple of weeks we may see another brood of Small Coppers here to add to the good year that they seem to be having around here.

Back in June when we went to Norfolk for a few days we stayed in a B&B that was part of a working farm. There were a few tracks around the farm where I would sometimes have a wander later in the day and where one afternoon I found a Garden Tiger Moth caterpillar wandering across the track.
I have sometimes seen these in recent years when we have been away but it is a long time since I have seen either a ‘Woolly Bear’ or the adult moth back home in the midlands where they have become a scarce species these days. I have read that the young overwintering larvae suffer in the mild wet winters that we often get now.
Anyway, I couldn’t resist the temptation to take this one back home and rear him through, something that I would often do when I was a nipper and I would find them every year.
Back home it grew rapidly on a diet of dock leaves and eventually pupated in a loose cocoon amongst the leaves and then emerged a couple of weeks back.
Garden Tiger Moth caterpillar, the good old Woolly Bear.
Garden Tiger Moth caterpillar, the good old Woolly Bear.
Garden Tiger Moth - Coverdale 08.08.2023
Garden Tiger Moth - Coverdale 08.08.2023
I released it later that evening. Hopefully it will find a mate as although I have not seen one locally for ages, there have been a few records from just a couple of miles away in recent years.

Another impressive moth that I don’t see that often here, although I did have one come to my garden trap a couple of years ago, is the Red Underwing. Apparently these come more readily to sugaring or wine ropes, two techniques that I have yet to try, than they do to light.
Last week I was sorting some stuff out in my garage when I spotted one high up on the wall. I stood on a chair to pot it and then take some photos before releasing it later in the evening.
Red Underwing - Coverdale 16.08.2023
Red Underwing - Coverdale 16.08.2023
I have run the garden trap a few times this month and had some good numbers, albeit most of them were the usual common stuff for this time of year. For example, out of a total of 275 moths a couple of nights ago (23rd Aug.) 146 of them were Large Yellow underwings.

A new species for me here is Tree-lichen Beauty, a species that has recently been expanding across Warwickshire. Historically this species was a scarce migrant but is another one that has become established as a resident in recent years. I remember catching one of these a couple of years ago in the garden of our B&B in Bosham when we were down visiting our daughter and commenting that they were now turning up in the south of Warwickshire but hadn’t yet reached me. Well, I had my fist one on the night of July 26th and then three of them on August 10th. There have also been quite a few turning up in garden traps around Solihull, Birmingham and Coventry showing that they are most likely established around here now.
Tree-lichen Beauty - Coverdale 10.08.2023
Tree-lichen Beauty - Coverdale 10.08.2023
Another new species for me here was a nice example of The Tissue on the night of 23rd. This is a widespread but local species here in the midlands and a good record for my garden. It is also a bit larger than I expected, around Speckled Wood size, which makes it an attractive moth.
The Tissue - Coverdale 23.08.2023
The Tissue - Coverdale 23.08.2023
We are off down south again on Sunday for a few days to visit our daughter and her family so hopefully I will get a chance to go out and look for some butterflies. The forecast looks ‘mixed’ at the moment but as always it keeps changing every time I look.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You may miss out on the Butterflies at times Neil, but you find some fantastic Moths, hope your lucky in the South :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Of all the Moff names Neil the Tissue is the hardest to fathom - I could see that as an apt name if it were square cut and white all over or pink with little striations across it but not that - still it is a nice looking moth :D
Hope your trip down this way pays/is paying off 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Impressive moths again, Neil, but those Brown Hairstreaks....what a day you had! :mrgreen:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Goldie, with my moth trap I think it a case of the moths find me :)

Cheers Wurzel. According to my copy of 'Emperors, Admirals and Chimney Sweepers' which delves into the origins of many butterfly and moth names, in the eighteenth century when the name was first used, 'tissue' referred to a woven gauze often worn as a veil. I suppose the pattern was thought to be reminiscent of this.

Thanks David, it was indeed a great day.

Sunday August 27th – Heading South.

On the morning of Sunday 27th August we set out for another few days visiting our daughter in Emsworth, once again staying in the B&B in Bosham that we have used previously.
After travelling down the M40 and A34 we were approaching the junction with the M3 with plenty of time in hand so we decided to head across country towards Old Winchester hill. I must admit that being the Sunday of a Bank Holiday weekend, I was wondering how busy the car park at OWH would be but we arrived to find a few empty spaces. Jane gave me an hour to look around while she read her kindle in the car so I set off down the hill.
At first it was nice and sunny albeit with a stiff breeze blowing at the top of the hill so I headed straight down to the more sheltered lower slopes. On the way down I saw loads of Meadow Browns, some of which were looking quite fresh, along with good numbers of Small Heath and some surprisingly fresh looking Gatekeepers (surprising for me as back home they are just about finished).

I was especially on the lookout for Silver-spotted Skippers and was pleased to find a few, some looking worn and faded but with some looking not too bad.
Silver-spotted Skipper male - Old Winchester Hill 27.08.2023
Silver-spotted Skipper male - Old Winchester Hill 27.08.2023
Silver-spotted Skipper female - Old Winchester Hill 27.08.2023
Silver-spotted Skipper female - Old Winchester Hill 27.08.2023
I was also chuffed to find a mating pair.
Silver-spotted Skipper pair - Old Winchester Hill 27.08.2023
I was even more pleased to find a second pair as I zig-zagged back up the hill a bit later. At first I wondered if it was the same pair that I had seen earlier but they were on a different part of the hill and a close look at the photos afterward show some slight differences in markings.
Both Chalk Hill Blues and Adonis Blues were very much in evidence with both species flying in good numbers although most of those I saw were looking worn and faded, especially the Chalk Hill Blue males.
Chalk Hill Blue male - Old Winchester Hill 27.08.2023
Chalk Hill Blue male - Old Winchester Hill 27.08.2023
Chalk Hill Blue female - Old Winchester Hill 27.08.2023
Chalk Hill Blue female - Old Winchester Hill 27.08.2023
Chalk Hill Blue pair - Old Winchester Hill 27.08.2023
Chalk Hill Blue pair - Old Winchester Hill 27.08.2023
A few Common Blues were also seen but again these were looking past their best.

At the lower part of the hill the breeze was less in evidence but the law of sod meant that a big dark cloud rolled over and most of the butterflies went down into the grass. Even so, by the time I made my way back up the hill I had used up nearly all of my hour and I got back to Jane with ‘brownie points’ to spare.
All being well I was hoping to return and spend more time here later in the week.

We then carried on to Sarah’s before heading on to our B&B.

To be continued...

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wednesday 29th August – Back to Old Winchester Hill

Jane and Sarah had decided between them that they were going to have a shopping day on Wednesday and Sarah’s husband Dan had agreed to look after the kids. This meant that I was off the leash and with some bright periods forecast for the morning I headed back to Old Winchester Hill.
I arrived just before 10.00am with an early overcast breaking up to leave the sun shining through a layer of thin high level cloud resulting in that pleasant milky light. There was still a fair breeze at the top of the hill (there nearly always is here) but this was much reduced further down the slope.

As on Sunday, there were loads of butterflies with Meadow Browns, Small Heath, Chalk Hill Blues and Adonis Blues all fluttering over the slopes. As it warmed up through the morning I was surrounded by the kind of numbers that I simply don’t see back home and which really brings home to me how butterfly poor my local patch really is, especially at this time of year.
Adonis and Chalk Hill Blues - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
Adonis and Chalk Hill Blues - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
With more time in hand today I could look for better condition examples of the blues and it wasn’t long before I found some, particularly of the Adonis Blues which would not have been flying as long as the Chalk Hills.
Adonis Blue - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
There were some nice fresh female Adonis Blues around too.
Adonis Blue female - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
As expected for this time of year, most of the male Chalk Hills were worn to some degree but I did find one nice fresh looking example amongst them.
Chalk Hill Blue - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
As usual, some of the females were still quite presentable,
Chalk Hill Blue female - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
Chalk Hill Blue female - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
I also found a few more Silver-spotted Skippers, not great numbers with maybe 12-15 seen allowing for double counting as I worked my back and forth across the slopes. Some of these were really tatty but one or two were in decent condition.
Silver-spotted Skipper male - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
Silver-spotted Skipper female - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
Silver-spotted Skipper female - Old Winchester Hill 29.08.2023
Most of these were seen about halfway down the hill where the sward is shorter, with only a couple seen on the lower slopes where I noticed the vegetation was much lusher than in my visits in previous years, no doubt due to more rainfall this year. From various reports that I have seen it appears that they are not having a particularly good season anywhere this year.

Apart from the species already mentioned, I also saw a few Gatekeepers as well as faded Common Blues and a couple of worn Brown Argus. A couple each of Large and Small Whites plus a single Brimstone were patrolling the hedge lines at the bottom of the slopes.
A couple of Red Admirals (or maybe the same one) flew past me on the slopes and singles of Speckled Wood and Holly Blue were seen up by the car park making a total of 14 species for the morning.

Around midday the clouds started thickening up along with a freshening breeze and so having spent a good couple of hours here I started to zig-zag my way back up the hill towards the car park.

One more report to come to finish off with some random stuff.

To be continued…

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"woven gauze often worn as a veil."...and there was me thinking along the lines of 'a collection of cells working together' which is why I couldn't see it as a tissue :roll: :lol:
Lovely looking Blues and Silver-spots Neil, two pairs in cop is really good going, some might even say a little bit greedy :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:27 pm Lovely looking Blues and Silver-spots Neil, two pairs in cop is really good going, some might even say a little bit greedy :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ...
Cheers Wurzel. I was especially pleased given the limited time I had and the increasing cloud cover.

Sunday 27th to Thursday 30th August.

On Bank Holiday Monday we decided to visit RSPB Pagham Harbour as we had been before on one of our previous trips down here and we knew that there are good paths that Jane could easily manage. One of the unfortunate side effects of her stroke some years ago is that she gets tired quickly, apparently quite a common and long lasting side effect of strokes. All things considered she does very well to manage some of the walks that she does and particularly enjoys the more accessible RSPB reserves.
We arrived just around 09.45am and wandered down to the hide overlooking the Ferry Pool, noticing quite a few Small and Green-veined Whites plus a few Large Whites along the way. From the hide we could see a number of Black-tailed Godwits, Greenshanks and Shelducks plus other wader type birds that were too far away for me to ID.

We then carried on along the path alongside the salt marsh where we saw loads more Small and Green-veined Whites which were now joined by good numbers of Holly Blues. These were all quite active on what was a pleasantly warm albeit increasingly cloudy morning but I did spot one Holly Blue settle on a bramble leaf in front of us when one particularly dark grey patch of cloud came over. Jane carried on to a nearby bench whilst I kept my eye on the clouds waiting for a brighter patch to come over and after about 10 minutes was rewarded with the Holly Blue opening up to show itself to be a nice fresh looking male.
Holly Blue - Pagham Harbour 28.08.2023
After spending the morning at Pagham Harbour, we headed back to our B&B where Jane said she would have a rest if I wanted to pop out somewhere else. I decided to drive round to Thorny Island on the off chance that I might find a Clouded Yellow there, this being one of the more reliable locations for these.
Well, I had been seeing signs up along the roads for the Bank Holiday Emsworth Show but hadn’t thought anything about it and realised my mistake when I turned into Thorny Road and hit a tailback of cars waiting to go into a car park for the show further down the road. I eventually made my way past this and managed to squeeze into the last remaining space in the small car park opposite the public footpath that leads out to the west side of Thorny Island. I then walked down to the gate in the fence for the barracks to find a sign saying that the buzzer was not working and a phone number for the gatehouse for access. I tried calling this number but the line was dead so I had no choice but to retrace my steps to my car.
On the way back I pondered what to do and where to go and in the end decided that, as I was already here and I didn’t want to get snarled up in the traffic again, I may as well check out the path down the east side of the island where I had never been before.
I walked down to the gate on the east side to find a similar sign saying the buzzer was out of order and the phone number for the gatehouse. This time I had more luck as the phone was answered and I was buzzed through with no problems. I then continued down to the southern end of the island where I lurked around for 30 minutes or so before heading back. Unfortunately I did not find any Clouded Yellows although there were once again plenty of Small and Green-veined Whites along with a smaller number of Large Whites.
There were also loads of Holly Blues along the hedgerows by the path although most of these stayed well out of reach.
Holly Blue - Thorny Island 28.08.2023
Holly Blue - Thorny Island 28.08.2023
Other butterflies seen were loads of Small Heath by the southern end along with Meadow Browns and half a dozen faded Common Blues and a nice Small Copper.
Small Copper - Thorny Island 28.08.2023
Small Copper - Thorny Island 28.08.2023
An interesting sight that I watched for a while as I walked down was a Spitfire flying around above Thorny Channel. At one point it was joined by a light commercial aircraft that flew alongside in close formation for a while. I guessed that there may have been passengers in the light aircraft that were taking photos of the Spitfire and later a bit of googling turned up that this was indeed the case.
Spitfire and chase plane - Thorny Island 28.08.2023
Spitfire and chase plane - Thorny Island 28.08.2023
Tuesday was Jane and Sarah’s shopping day when I went to Old Winchester Hill as described in the previous report.

On the Wednesday Jane wanted to pop into Emsworth and then we went to Bosham Quay for a little wander. Walking past the church in Bosham Quay, I checked out a large buddleia by the path which has nearly always turned up a Red Admiral or two and sure enough there were a couple on it.
I did notice that most of the flowers on the buddleias down this way are now over but some, like this one, had a few flowers spikes left.
Red Admiral - Bosham Quay 30.08.2023
Red Admiral - Bosham Quay 30.08.2023
Red Admirals appeared in Small numbers on most days we were here although it seemed that the large numbers of earlier in the year had now mostly gone. It remains to be seen whether there will be a large emergence of their descendants later in the year.

I also put my portable moth trap out in the garden of our B&B a couple of times although it must be said that clear chilly nights and that big ‘blue’ moon didn’t help. I didn’t get anything special although I did have a few that I have yet to see in my garden back home such as Burnished Brass, Scorched Carpet and White-point.
Burnished Brass - Bosham 29.08.2023
Burnished Brass - Bosham 29.08.2023
Scorched Carpet - Bosham 29.08.2023
Scorched Carpet - Bosham 29.08.2023
White-point - Bosham 29.08.2023
White-point - Bosham 29.08.2023
There is no real reason why I shouldn’t get these at home, even the White-point, a previously scarce migrant is now turning up in Warwickshire in increasing numbers.

In the end we had a good few days and despite our misgivings with the weather forecasts we had some decent weather. The only rain we saw was on Tuesday evening into the night and then again when we left for home on Thursday morning. From a butterfly perspective, I saw my main targets of Silver-spotted Skipper, Chalk Hill Blue and second brood Adonis Blue although in the end I didn’t find a Clouded Yellow…maybe next time.

Bye for now,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry you didn't get the Cloudy Neil I know how you feel as they've started arriving now that I've gone back to work :roll: :( Still lovely looking Holly Blues do go some way in making up for it. :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

An enjoyable read Neil, with images to match. Right up there with your usual standard!

Never been to old Winchester Hill, I must get there next year!
David M

Post by David M »

That was a pretty productive trip to the south, Neil. Some excellent images there, especially that female Adonis.

I think seeing a Spitfire (and hearing it) would round off any day perfectly. What a treat! :mrgreen:
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Wurzel. Yes I have seen some Cloudies reported since we came home although not from anywhere I visited. It still doesn't seem to be a particularly good year for then although I suppose there is still time.

Thanks David. The first two (very fresh looking) Adonis female photos are of two different individuals, both as attractive as each other.

Thanks Mark. It is a cracking site and only 20 minutes from our daughter's house so easy for me to visit whn we are down there.

Friday 8th September.

Back to the reality of my local patch this week. A couple of morning walks down to Wagon Lane have produced a few Speckled Wood, various wandering whites and a couple of Red Admirals, none of which settled for longer than for a brief second. It has been too hot to go walking in the afternoons.

We popped round to see my Mom this morning and I had a short wander down to her local park around 10.00am. Some early cloud was in the
process of burning off and the sun was beginning to be felt as it rose higher in the sky but it was already beginning to feel warm and sticky.

Three Speckled Wood were seen, one of which posed for a bit, as did a Small White. thesee two providing the only photos I have taken this week.
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 08.09.2023
Speckled Wood - Langley Hall 08.09.2023
Small White - Langley Hall 08.09.2023
Small White - Langley Hall 08.09.2023
Bye for now,

Neil.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Neil ,
Just out of interest Neil ,are you getting any Box tree moth in your trap ? A couple of nights back i had close on a hundred overnight including a few Dark morph individuals ............my poor old neighbours Box hedge has been completely stripped as has another neighbours just up the road .
things are looking pretty bleak for stately home knot gardens and border box hedging !
Regards Allan.W.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely looking Small White Neil :D
"Cloudies reported since we came home"...this is often what I find as well, I come home and then the species that I went to see and didn't is all over the Evil-book-of Face :roll: :lol: They seem to be arriving now - I think there might have been a problem with air traffic control? :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Allan. I had my first Box-tree Moth back in 2020 and have been getting a few each year since. Some trappers a bit further south and east in warwickshire are now getting large numbers and I guess it is only a matter of time before numbers increase here.
Having said that, I am not aware of any Box plants around my immediate neighbours.
Last year I ran my portable trap in my daughters garden in Emsworth (near Portsmorth) and had a dozen or so there. I have not noticed any Box in her neighbour's gardens either.

Cheers Wurzel. It is always the way, if it is not 'you should have been here yesterday/an hour ago', then it is seeing stuff turn up the day after going somewhere :roll:

Cheers,

Neil.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wednesday 13th September.

It is really beginning to feel like Autumn is here now, especially in the mornings which have been quite chilly here over the past few days with overnight drops in temperature leading to a heavy dew first thing.
Yesterday (Tuesday) it rained all day before the skies cleared in the evening to give us another chilly night.

Today was much better and after a nippy start we had some nice warm sun to give us a pleasant morning. By 10.00am it had warmed up enough to tempt me down to my local spot by Wagon Lane for a look around. My usual circuit produced just 14 butterflies, these being Red Admiral (5), Comma (1), Speckled Wood (2) and Small White (6).
With the sun lower in the sky at this time of year and now producing long shadows along the hedgerows, all apart from the Small Whites were basking quite high up to maximise their exposure and thus requiring that I hold my camera at arms lengh above my head to try for some shots.
Small White - Wagon Lane 13.09.2023
Comma -  Wagon Lane 13.09.2023
Comma - Wagon Lane 13.09.2023
Red Admiral -  Wagon Lane 13.09.2023
Red Admiral - Wagon Lane 13.09.2023
Speckled Wood -  Wagon Lane 13.09.2023
Speckled Wood - Wagon Lane 13.09.2023
To be honest this was a bit better than I expected as this spot is usually just about finished for the year around now.

Bye for now,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Autumn is certainly here, Neil - since that heatwave broke it's been fairly dismal round my way.

That said, Small Whites are around in ridiculous numbers with increasing appearances from both Painted Ladies & Clouded Yellows.

I reckon we have at least 3 more weeks of high activity, before all we're left with are Red Admirals and the odd close relative (plus Speckled Woods, Small Coppers and a few lingering Whites).

It's been an interesting September thus far.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

You did well with the higher shots Neil, I've ended up using this technique plenty of times and so long as the auto-focus does its thing then the shots usually come out okay. I reckon though that I might invest in an ultra-lightweight step ladder, one with a rucsac attachment :wink: :lol: Lovely looking Small Whites, they do pose much more readily at this time of year 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”