Not Lepidoptera (Birds)

Discussion forum for sightings.
eccles

Re: Not Lepidoptera (Birds)

Post by eccles »

I have yet to visit Gigrin but will do so some day. The kites must be a superb sight. The farm has its own website where you can pick up lots of news and facts about the farm (http://www.gigrin.co.uk)

@Shirley, I'm not particularly obsessed with great tits, just that apart from a robin, this was the first bird that I have yet to photograph with the new lens. The robin didn't turn out too well because I was too close to it and I hadn't learned how to use the new lens properly yet - the narrow depth of field of the lens coupled with my closeness to the robin meant that its head was tack sharp and everything else was a blur. BTW, how do you know the GT is a male? Is it because the black breast stripe is thicker than on females?
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I am sure most of you know about other Red Kite hot spots (resulting from introductions). But just in case........

M40 cutting through the Chilterns at Aston Rowant but they spread widely nowadays and can usually be seen at eg Watlington, Benson and as far as Bernwood Forest. You cannot miss them if you travel along that stretch of the M40. Often a dozen or more at a time.

Rockingham Forest Northants between Oundle and Corby including the Purple Emperor site at Fermyn Wood where some Red Kites entertained the butterfly enthusiasts last July. Glapthorn (Black Hairstreaks) usually has Red Kite fly-overs. The birds can often be seen as well from the A14.

There are several other localities, eg Gateshead, parts of Scotland. And of course mid Wales where the colony centred around Gigrin Farm is the only survivor from earlier hard times. But today, there is complete inter-mixing of the colonies so doubtless, no pure bred British individuals remain even at Gigrin.

Jack
twitcher

Post by twitcher »

HI ALL,
WOULD RECCOMEND THIS PLACE http://www.nantyrarian.com/ EXCELLENT BACK DROPS FOR PHOTOGRAPHS AND FREE :D
AND A NICE CAFE WITH VIEWS.
SHAUN
Attachments
1822.jpg
1822.jpg (71.91 KiB) Viewed 973 times
red kite in flight2.jpg
red kite in flight2.jpg (76.82 KiB) Viewed 973 times
2412.jpg
2412.jpg (91.25 KiB) Viewed 972 times
xmilehigh

Post by xmilehigh »

Hi all,

Couple of shots from today.

Black Bird

Blue Tit

Some excellent shots in this thread keep em coming folks.

Cheers
_____
Jerry
JH's Photo's
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Jerry,
The Blue Tit is fab! It that Eccles's famous post near 'the spot'?
Denise
xmilehigh

Post by xmilehigh »

Hi Denise,

Thanks. Yes that's the one. :D
_____
Jerry
JH's Photo's
Shirley Roulston

Post by Shirley Roulston »

Hi Jerry,

You have some very nice photos yourself and we may get some photos at the weekend, the artic weather is 'coming'. Lucky you seeing a butterfly end of November, there's been no sighting of any butterflies here in North Wales.
Regards Shirley
eccles

Post by eccles »

Cracking BT shot, Jerry. :)
twitcher

Post by twitcher »

How many L T Tits can you get on a fat ball ?,Took this today .
Shaun.
Attachments
081lt tit#2.jpg
081lt tit#2.jpg (155.58 KiB) Viewed 892 times
Shirley Roulston

Never seen anything like that before. Fantastic :D
Regards Shirley
eccles

Post by eccles »

Me neither. What an incredible sight, and a great shot.
twitcher

Post by twitcher »

Thanks for the comments,
I was watching the feeders on Cannock Chase,when a party of about 12 turned up, as you probably know goldcrests, treecreepers and tits travel round in groups at this time of year so sometimes it can be very quiet the next its manic.A large group of assorted tits :oops: arrived.The L T Tits all made a b line for this one fat ball, by the time i had swung round with the camera I got 3 shots the one above being the best and this one the last.Although I have got video of 14 on one feeder in my garden.
Thanks again Shaun.
Attachments
0922.jpg
0922.jpg (72.71 KiB) Viewed 807 times
KeynvorLogosenn

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

Hey Everybody
I can imagine we have some stunning bird images here! But I have a couple of not so stunning pictures of ducks at the local lake that need IDing! These also sounded different and I only heard these two dudes and none like them.

Dude number 1 - tried to steal my sandwich - remind me NEVER to take lunch to the lake ever again :lol:
Image031.jpg
Image031.jpg (31.26 KiB) Viewed 767 times
Dude number 2, I have a thought that this one may be the duckling of the pervious. This one was also very interested in my lunch.
Image025.jpg
Image025.jpg (63.88 KiB) Viewed 767 times
These were taken with my phone, so not the best things in the world, and it was raining and I was cold and wet. I didn't see the sky to know it was about to rain. So it came as a shock. I thought we had blue sky! :lol: That's what the weather guy on the local radio said before I left to catch the train! So next time they say it's sunny. I will take my coat! :lol:
Thanks
Em
Shirley Roulston

This must be the daftest photo I've ever taken, kitten in the garden, took her photo it was almost dark but I turned the flash off incase it should frighten her, cunning plan, the cat is black :lol:
Picture 008.jpg
Picture 008.jpg (71.43 KiB) Viewed 750 times
eccles

Post by eccles »

"Time to believe, Mulder...."
Denise

Post by Denise »

'The truth is out there' I want to belive!
I'm not the only X Files fan :lol:

Denise
eccles

Post by eccles »

I haven't been out since Tuesday as I'm stuck indoors with a cold, but I caught a juvenile swan taking off last month at Herriot's Pool, Chew Valley Lake:

Getting started..

Almost there..

Undercarriage up, and we have lift off!

Sony A700 + 70-210 F4 'beercan' - EXIF has details.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

great pics everyone, love the long tailed tits. twitcher. I also like the tits (oh err... :oops: ) xmilehigh and eccles

Shirley, now we know we're not alone in the cosmos, hehe. I got a pic a while ago at night and noticed similar eyes in it, but found it was sheep nearby I must have got in the shot.

I like the swan pics, it reminds me of something I saw once. I did not have a camera then, but I saw a two swans (a pair I belive) at Strangford Lough near here, and one was feeding and it went upside down and got stuck, then its partner came over and grabbed it with its bill and pulled it ride side up and they swam around eachother.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Here is something I'd never watched happening before this summer. One great crested grebe was swimming around carrying two youngsters on her (his?) back while the other went off fishing for them. The pictures are taken with a compact - not as good for birds as it is for butterflies. But I thought what was going on was interesting anyway.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

One great crested grebe was swimming around carrying two youngsters
I can't recall seeing that myself but it is apparently well documented behaviour. Rather sweet isn't it?

Jack

Return to “Sightings”