Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Corfu Day 2 5th April

Wednesday weather was set to fair…at least eventually. The morning was cool and more cloudy than sunny but as the day wore on the cloud regressed and the sun shone more and more. So much so in fact that as soon as we returned from breakfast/brunch I popped up to the Terrace for a quick look and found an EOT on the side of the road. I grabbed a few shots and I set about checking the Terrace more thoroughly. Walls, an EOT and a couple of Large Whites flew along the wall of the next terrace back whilst on the clump of purple flowers a Geranium Bronze and a Mallow Skipper hung about doing their best to remain unobtrusive. Looking up I convinced myself that the sunny weather was definitely due to stay and so I quickly made my way back. If the sun was going to last and I let everyone know where I was I’d be able to have a bit of a longer foray.
05-04-2023 1.JPG
05-04-2023 2.JPG
05-04-2023 3.JPG
05-04-2023 4.JPG
05-04-2023 5.JPG
05-04-2023 6.JPG
Having popped in and then popped back out again I once again climbed down into the Terrace which again held the ‘usual’ species; Wall, Large Whites and Small Whites and after a quick chat with one of the locals (a good old boy who had travelled the seas and even stopped in Portsmouth) I carried on up to the Cutting. As I stepped up onto the slope of the Cutting a smattering of Whites fussed about including 4 EOTs and at least 2 Cleopatras. A Cloudy got itself officially on the Visit List and then out of nowhere a Festoon dropped in. I must confess that after its arrival I ended up giving all the other species short shrift and I spent most of the remaining time clicking away at this species as if mooched about, first in the Cutting, then along the top of the bank before adopting some nice poses on the opposite corner from the Cutting. It was a stunning looking butterfly with an unusual flight, a bit like a Swallowtail. It was also an attention seeker as each time it disappeared from view and I’d start to look at something else it would reappear almost with a cry of “look at me, look at me!” I had to of course and I relished the sighting, sometimes being so bedazzled by the myriad of markings that I forgot to actually press down on the shutter.
05-04-2023 7.JPG
05-04-2023 8.JPG
05-04-2023 9.JPG
05-04-2023 10.JPG
05-04-2023 11.JPG
05-04-2023 12.JPG
05-04-2023 13.JPG
05-04-2023 14.JPG
I finally tore myself away and walked back down the hill to the Terrace for a last look. This time there were at least 2 Walls, 3 Large Whites and 4 Cleopatras including what I presumed was a female and not just a Brimstone. As I started to climb back up a Cloudy flashed by and bombed past me and further down the hill/mountain side. Extremely chuffed I made my way back to the villa for lunch and more importantly so that I could ogle the Festoon all over again from the back of my camera.
05-04-2023 15.JPG
05-04-2023 16.JPG
05-04-2023 17.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love the Butterfly shots Wurzel especially the Festoon, I must admit to not ever seeing one, my adventures were never over there :roll: Goldie :D
millerd

Post by millerd »

The Festoon is a real standout butterfly, Wurzel - great shots. :mrgreen: I also rather like the yellow Orange Tips, so you can have a :mrgreen: for them as well. :) And the Cleopatras - you can actually see in those shots that their wing shape is not the same as a Brimstone's.

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Love the ' Jazz ' pattern of the Spanish Festoon, one of your shots of it in particular
is stunning, well captured. One aspect of the Cleopatra that is difficult to portray
is how much larger they are compared to the Brimstone.
Another :mrgreen: for ' their ' version of the Orange Tip!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I've since heard that this could be the highest recorded on Corfu :shock: so I'm trying to contact Norris McWhirter :lol:
Cheers Dave :D I was dead chuffed with the Festoon :D but I've had to revise my'star of the trip' to the Eastern Orange-tips as purely by chance we chose a villa in the only part of the island where they fly :shock: Obviously I've had to edit my posts/website now to protect them from collectors :?
Cheers Trevor :D You're spot on about the size difference between Cleopatras and Brimstones - it's obvious even from distance and they also look more yellow, almost canary yellow rather than lemon 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alners Gorse 24-06-2023

This trip was one made with no expectations. True I thought about which species I’d like to see but to be honest if I saw them I’d be happy and anything thing shot wise would just be a bonus. The weather forecast suggested that it would be cloudy in the morning with increasing sunny intervals until after lunch when the sun would be out fully and blazing away. As I was after Purple Hairstreaks and maybe some White-letters I thought it best to head out early but I could have left even earlier as the sunny intervals started from about 7:30 and there were no signs of clouding over so as to match the forecast. When I arrived with the final echoes of Killers fading in the background the car park was full and there was only one space left on the verge. Car safely abandoned I set off down the hill. This has got to be one of the best entrances to a reserve ever; a broad sweeping ride with no need to check the hedge on the right-hand side as it’s always in shade in the morning, a downhill walk and some excellent hedge that whets your appetite for when arrive at the tip of the diamond that is the reserve proper. On the walk down there was a Comma and several Meadow Browns as well as the odd Large Skipper and then I was ‘onsite’ and working my way along the line of the hedge on the left.
24-06-2023 1.JPG
24-06-2023 2.JPG
More Meadow Browns and the odd White flew along the hedge but there was still a slight feeling that things were only just getting going. As I moved on form under the low hanging Oak branches I saw a small group gathered up ahead near the old gate. They were all straining their necks upwards and staring into the trees and as I drew near I caught the odd murmur of ‘there’s a White-letter’ and sure enough staring up in the same direction there were a few little dark grey butterflies zipping out from the tips of the branches for a quick skirmish and then nipping back to their perch. I counted 5-6 at one time but there were easily double that as they were so hard to keep an eye on. In between counts of up high a White Admiral flashed past at a lower level and that’s when I spotted a Whitter down slightly lower than the others. By standing on tip-toes, holding my camera out full stretch and trusting in the autofocus I was able to get a few record shots. Then another came down lower still and I was able to get some even closer shots as this one ended up at just about head height. True there was an annoying shadow over the back of the wings but I didn’t care as I clicked happily away.
24-06-2023 3.JPG
24-06-2023 4.JPG
24-06-2023 5.JPG
24-06-2023 6.JPG
24-06-2023 7.JPG
24-06-2023 9.JPG
24-06-2023 10.JPG
24-06-2023 11.JPG
I stayed for a bit longer and waited for another low-level encounter but as the day had started to heat up the butterflies remained up higher. A Silver-washed shot past adding itself to the Year Tally and wishing those Whitter fans that remained well I carried on round. I went through the little gate and checked out the stands of Creeping Thistles but this little spot was still deep in shade so I carried on along the next side of the diamond. Another White Admiral teased me as it looked ready to settle but didn’t and there were a few Marbled Whites and Smessex Skippers fluttering about by my ankles. As I turned another corner and made my way to the Hut I spotted another cluster of enthusiasts. They were all enjoying a pristine Purple Hairstreak that had only just emerged. It had dropped onto someone hand and now he had placed it on a leaf so that it could finish drying its wings completely. I waited in line and once all those that had been there before me had partaken I knelt down and got some shots for myself. It was glorious to see how the sunlight caught the scales making them shine with a slightly silver-gold lustre. It made me question why Purple Hairstreak when the topside is less commonly seen whereas the underside would most definitely classify it as Silver a Hairstreak?
24-06-2023 12.JPG
24-06-2023 13.JPG
Pleased to have seen both ‘target species’ and smashed my limited expectations out of the park I set off to check out the Banks, that wonderful line of hedge beyond the confines of the reserve. As I set off I met another enthusiast who was going the same way. She went to try the first tree line where I’d seen a possible Emperor the year before and I continued on my way through the shady avenue and then rounding the corner into the field in full sun. The Bramble was alive with butterflies and for a while I just stood agog at the activity. It was amazing and dazzling and bemusing all at the same time. The most obvious butterflies were the male Silver-washed, their vivid orange making them stand out more than slightly larger but duller females. A White Admiral did a fly past while I was counting the Silver-washed and so I ended up with: “ 13, 14, 15…White Admiral….where was I?” In amongst the Ginger Beasties were other delights – a H.Comma, my first Hedgie, plenty of Meadow Browns, Large Skipper, Smessex Skippers, Marbled Whites and also my first Ringlet of the year. The Bramble was literally heaving with butterflies. I tore myself away and walked a little way along the hedge which held even more Silver-washed although the other species seemed to prefer the open, sunlit grasses rather than the shady understory of the Oak Trees that dominated the hedge here. There were a couple of Silver-washed in cop but before long I found myself back at the initial Bramble patch ogling in awe.
24-06-2023 14.JPG
24-06-2023 15.JPG
24-06-2023 16.JPG
24-06-2023 17.JPG
24-06-2023 18.JPG
24-06-2023 19.JPG
24-06-2023 20.JPG
The walk back to the reserve by not just quiet but more silent in comparison to the Banks but one I was over the stile a White Admiral was there to greet me and enticed me to follow it into the clearing by the Hut. A brace of White Admirals were hanging around one particular Bramble bush and away int eh distance I could make out a couple more. As I walked towards them a caught a glint of silver out of the corner of my eye and there was another mint condish, albeit distant, Purp. A little further on one of the 5 White Admirals finally paused to refuel so I made a swift approach, clicked away and then backed off before it realised I was there. Then I strolled back the way I’d come, a few spots of flattened grass were the only evidence of the fresh Purp from earlier and before I knew it I was back and staring up at Whitters. They were now all hanging around near the top of the tree so I bid them farewell and made my way back up the hill. “This really is a fabulous reserve” I thought to myself but now I had another one to visit as the day was still young!
24-06-2023 21.JPG
24-06-2023 22.JPG
24-06-2023 23.JPG
24-06-2023 24.JPG
With Whitters and Purps
Alners Gorse keeps me on track
For five Hairstreak year…

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lulworth 17-07-2023

As I drove along some of the narrowest roads I’ve ever encountered in between straining my eyes to see round blind bends on the road and gunning the engine on the straights I recalled the weather report. Becoming increasingly sunny as the day wore on after a cloudy start…Seems like they had it in reverse as when I reached the top of one of the hills I could see a thick blanket of cloud looming in the distance and heading my way. In fact once past Wool and on the final ascent before the drop down into the village from the Army Camp the sun all but disappeared as I drove into a wall of mist, it looked like the verges were on fire as the vapour curled and spiraled round like smoke pulled by the slipstream of the car in front. I pressed on regardless as it was still bright and warm despite the blanket over the sun so I hoped that the butterflies would still be flying even though there wasn’t a scrap of blue sky to be seen.

Once I’d abandoned the car I walked down past the local shop, crossed the road and went through the gate onto Bindon Hill. Once I’d gotten to the top of the steps rather than following the path parallel to the boundary hedge I veered left to check out this part of the hill first. My hopes appeared to be met as plenty of butterflies seemed to still be flying regardless of gloom. In amongst the many Meadow Browns and Marbled Whites I was able to pick out an obvious Common Blue and one of two smaller Large Skippers. I picked my way along narrow tracks and so zigged and zagged my way the hill, the taller tussock grasses, wafted by the slightest breeze. It was then that I spotted a much smaller butterfly. I tried to follow it but I’d gotten used to observing the large Silver-washed and watching the jinky flight of Hairstreaks and so initially I wasn’t successful with following the flight of the miniscule and seemingly jet-propelled Skippers. There were a few ever so slightly larger Skippers about which were better behaved and their bright ‘proper’ orange colour gave them away as Small so I got my ‘eye in’ on them and this paid off for the next few sets that I saw I was able to watch, follow and get shots of – all were Lulworths. Some had taken on the appearance of battle camo, the yellow or golden scales worn away in places revealing the dark brown ground colour but others were magnificent, the females in particular with their large crescent moons positively glowing the dull.
24-06-2023a 1.JPG
24-06-2023a 2.JPG
24-06-2023a 3.JPG
24-06-2023a 4.JPG
24-06-2023a 5.JPG
a Small for comparison
a Small for comparison
I then set off to cover the hill proper following the main path that runs parallel to the boundary hedge and the road a field or so below. As I walked along I saw more and more butterflies, particularly in the longer vegetation between the hedge and the path. The Meadow Browns would erupt from the grass in my wake whilst the Marbled Whites flew powerfully from one flower head to another. Skippers would fly ahead of me and then suddenly veer off and I’d lose them from sight. As I drew near to the scar in the hill at the entrance from the old path a Red Admiral flashed past and I was left wondering whether it was homegrown or an immigrant? An Adonis Blue looked fantastically out of place with the electric blue against the straw coloured background making for an incongruous sight. And still there were more and more Skippers, there seemed to be an endless sea of them washing over the grasses and flowers. A Hedgie popped up on some Gorse not realizing that the one at Alners had already claimed the First for the Year tag and then I spent some time watching the Marbled Whites which grouped together on the same flower.
24-06-2023a 8.JPG
24-06-2023a 9.JPG
24-06-2023a 10.JPG
24-06-2023a 11.JPG
24-06-2023a 12.JPG
24-06-2023a 13.JPG
The path continued along the top of the cliff and normally at this point in my narration I’d make some reference to the scenery whether waxing lyrical about turquoise waters or the awe inspiring creative geological processes that left the rocks twisted and tangled. However trying to look across the bay to the seaward entrance of the Cove was pointless. Instead of a stunning panoramic vista it looked more like I was standing atop Mt Everest and surveying the clouds from above. Only here the mist and grey sky fused into one and it was wall to wall, ceiling to floor grey. The butterflies didn’t seem to mind though and there were a lot more Lulworths along the path. In fact there seemed to be a new set pretty much every couple of steps and nearing the end of the path a large orange butterfly bombed past. I saw just enough of it initially to know that it was a DGF, my first of the year, before it shot through the fence and down the top of the cliff before vanishing into the mist.
24-06-2023a 14.JPG
24-06-2023a 15.JPG
I spotted a second slightly further on and luckily this one was going up the hill rather than down so I managed to locate it a few times and get within range. Despite being very fresh in appearance, the orange ground colour blazing out in the gloom, it had a chunk missing from one of its hind wings suggesting that it must have had a run in with a predator already, possibly just after its wings had dried. After the third time of Successful stalking I let it be and found my way back to the end of path. I had two choices to make now. Either keep on, down the very steep, narrow path and into the Cove itself or walk back the way that I’d come? The trip down would be good but the walk across the uneven cobbles and stones and then up through the village itself wouldn’t produce many butterflies so I opted for the latter. So I turned myself around and started back.
24-06-2023a 16.JPG
24-06-2023a 17.JPG
24-06-2023a 18.JPG
My progress was slower on the return as I’d stop every few steps to watch or photograph another set of Lulworths. They were all over the place which was a fantastic contrast to 2022 when I saw a singleton on Portland. Along the way there were all the same species flying that I’d seen on the way out including another Adonis and Common Blue. Near the old path entrance the butterflies were still clustered around the taller flowers including one which held three different species of Skipper (1 Large, 3 Small and 8 Lulworths), a Small heath and a couple of Burnet Moths on it. How it wasn’t collapsing under the combined mass I don’t know but I clicked away at various members of the collective. One stood out in particular; a really fresh Lulworth which was a cracking mustard yellow in colour.
24-06-2023a 19.JPG
24-06-2023a 20.JPG
24-06-2023a 21.JPG
24-06-2023a 22.JPG
24-06-2023a 23.JPG
24-06-2023a 24.JPG
From here I ventured up to the track that was higher up the hill and where the grasses didn’t grow as tall. There were fewer butterflies here but another DGF did a fly-by and the Lulworths hung out around the taller flowers that were dotted about across the top of the hill. As the hill rounded I strolled down and into the little spot where it had begun and hour or so before. I could have made for home straight away but I wandered back and forth along the little trackways again seeking out even more Lulworths because I wanted to make sure that I had enough of them. Though to be honest I doubt whether I could ever get enough! Somehow my wanderings had brought me back to the top of the steps and so I took that as my sign to head for home. Another cracking day, Dorset delivered with an ‘endemic’ species and an additional 6 species added to the Year List.
24-06-2023a 25.JPG
24-06-2023a 26.JPG
With hanging sea mist
No talk of a Turquoise sea
But still got Lulworths

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Wow - quite a selection of butterflies across those posts, Wurzel. Alner's Gorse sounds amazing - but annoying convoluted to get to for me! And I know how good Lulworth is! :) Some terrific shots there... :mrgreen: :)

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots Wurzel, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I may have seen the Heath , but I've missed out on the SWF and the PHS this year,
your shots are great :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I've found a way there that is reasonably straight forward now but there is one little bit that is exceedingly narrow :shock: I could drive you if you fancy a trip - how are you on roller coasters :wink:
Cheers Goldie :D Alners does hold a great array of species - with the trip to Lulworth I picked up 7 first for the year that day! :shock: The second trip was even better - so look out for that one :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

For me Alners Gorse has become legendary this year, never been,
but from what i have seen on farcebook it all seems to happen there.
Your report and images reinforce just that! :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D There's more to come from Alners Gorse :wink:

The Devenish 27-06-2023

There are threats to change the timings of the school day and so whilst the current status quo remains I decided to take advantage of it and make a couple of stop-offs on the way home. I could have gone to Sidbury but I felt like I’d given The Devenish less attention than it was deserving of and so instead of driving towards Tidworth I found myself taking the back route round Amesbury.

When I arrived and pulled into the car park I was the only one there and so I had the choice of parking spots – a rare luxury! I pulled my boots on, grabbed my camera and set off to what there was to see. I didn’t have to with long as the little track up to the Paddocks seemed to be lined with Green-veined Whites and Meadow Browns. With both gates successfully negotiated I strode around following the tracks trodden down by the resident sheep. Marbled Whites flew, some starting to look a little less clean cut and a little smudged where the black scales rub into the white areas with age. There were many Smessex Skippers (all that I was able to differentiate remained Smalls) nipping in between the grass stems and the other larger butterflies; mainly Meadow Browns but with the occasional Ringlet as well. As I approached the end of the Paddocks a Large White tore past and then plopped down on a cluster of thistle tops.
27-06-2023 1.JPG
27-06-2023 2.JPG
27-06-2023 3.JPG
27-06-2023 4.JPG
27-06-2023 5.JPG
I retraced my footsteps back to the gates, flopped over one but then hoisted myself over the third instead and made down the tunnel track and into Orchid Meadow which was alive with butterflies. The species list was the same but it was a case of same quality much greater quantity. The most numerous species that I was seeing were the Smessex Skipper. The sea of browns and gingers were broken by a Small White and a Holly Blue at about the half way point. I continued walking with more and more butterflies appearing and I just drank it all in. At the far end the little field held 4 whites and a Comma and I started spying out more and more, smaller brown and orange butterflies – the Hedgies had arrived proper! I set too trying to capture as much as possible onto the memory card and paid special attention to the Smessex in case there were a few Essex in amongst the Smalls. There was still no luck on that front though.
27-06-2023 6.JPG
27-06-2023 7.JPG
27-06-2023 8.JPG
27-06-2023 9.JPG
27-06-2023 10.JPG
27-06-2023 10a.JPG
27-06-2023 11.JPG
27-06-2023 12.JPG
From here I climbed up the steep trackway until it broke out onto the Down. I stayed near the bottom and scanned across the edge of the Down. Near at hand were Smessex Skippers (which remained so or became only Smalls) and Meadow Browns whilst Ringlets and Marbled Whites quartered the middle ground and Whites flew in the far distance but rapidly got closer and closer. I couldn’t make out any DGFs or larger butterflies and time was ticking away so I gingerly made my way back down and through the Orchid Meadow stopping on the way for a faded Common Blue – something different to finish with but not what I was hoping for really (an a sneaky Marbled White actually made it to the final shot from the Devenish). The Smessex had stubbornly refused to become Essex and despite searching and checking as many as possible the only thing I’d gotten was a bad back from stooping and trying to peer up from underneath.
27-06-2023 13.JPG
27-06-2023 14.JPG
27-06-2023 15.JPG
27-06-2023 16.JPG
On the drive back I realised that I could access the back corner of Five Rivers so I pulled over and made my way down the footpath and onto the site. On the way up the rise it seemed quiet and it wasn’t until I got to the top of the hill that I located a few butterflies – a few Marbled Whites in amongst some of the taller grasses and the occasional Ringlet. As I walked round to the other side of the wood and the Banks the sun disappeared behind the clouds. A Comma went up from the path but there were only a few more Ringlets and Meadow Browns about. Having completed a circuit I ended up back at the top of the hill and as I set off back down I happened to glance at a Marbled White. Something about it looked different but at the time I couldn’t fathom what. Looking back at it later I could see that outer band wasn’t as pronounced as usual giving it the appearance of being whiter. The final butterflies of the day were a Small White and a Red Admiral at the very edge of the reserve but neither stopped alas which made me feel like the trip had gone out with more of a whimper than a bang.
27-06-2023 17.JPG
27-06-2023 18.JPG
27-06-2023 19.JPG
27-06-2023 20.JPG
Smessex everywhere
Out come the Browns of Summer
But still no Essex?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Garston Wood 01-07-2023

It was an overcast day but in the end I needed to visit my Dad at Sixpenny Handley and so I grabbed my camera and made my over via the back route so I could call in at Garston Wood on route. The cloud cover was quite thick but it was still surprisingly bright and the forecast had mentioned some sunny breaks – so I set off up the main track with fingers crossed that things would pan out. There had been rumours of Emperors here but after several tricky years I’d lowered my expectations for this species to the extent that I would be grateful for just a glimpse and I certainly wouldn’t go out of my way for them anymore. As I made my way upwards a few butterflies started appearing in the gloom. First came a Large Skipper and then a few Meadow Browns. Next up venturing into the grey came Marbled Whites, Ringlets, Hedgies and finally a Small Skipper.
01-07-2023 1.JPG
01-07-2023 2.JPG
01-07-2023 3.JPG
01-07-2023 4.JPG
01-07-2023 5.JPG
01-07-2023 6.JPG
Chuffed I carried on up with Browns nicely covered I turned my attentions to the other butterflies that might be about and so I started looking up high for little silver flashes and down low for ginger beasties. About halfway up this scanning paid off, with not exactly a ginger beastie but more of a peach…In one of the little scallops cleared from the verge I spotted a Large Skipper. Then I realised that there was another just behind it as well as a Hedgie on the same leaf. To the left was a Marbled White and as I let my gaze shift to the right a Painted Lady appeared from behind a leaf. It was absolutely stunning to see and shone out like a beacon in the gloom. As I watched it a Silver-washed flashed past too late to fit in with the narrative.
01-07-2023 7.JPG
01-07-2023 8.JPG
01-07-2023 9.JPG
01-07-2023 10.JPG
Happy with this haul I could have headed home there and then but realising that I’d only scratched the surface of the reserve and only been present for 15 minutes or so I carried on deeper into the wood. At the staggered cross tracks I found an H. Comma sitting on a leaf low to the ground and trying its best to look like a dead leaf. Whilst its camo was superb the fact that it was sitting on a deep green lush Bramble leaf meant that it wasn’t achieving its aim. I continued on alternating between scanning the vegetation and the heavens for any signs of cracks in the cloud. On my way to the Butterfly Enclosure I was kept company by a few Browns and a female Silver-washed but the cloud was acting as a deterrent to the butterflies flying. When I ventured through the archway of the Enclosure things changed. The sun ripped through the clouds evaporating the dew and bathing everything in a soft yellow light. The butterflies suddenly burst forth from wherever they’d been sheltering. Another Painted Lady passed by and there were a gaggle of Whites – three unknowns and a Green-veined. The sun kept trying to break through the cloud and was having more and more success with the spells becoming longer and so on the return leg I found a Large and Small White along with 3-4 Silver-washed Frits and a White Admiral got on the list as it.
01-07-2023 11.JPG
01-07-2023 12.JPG
01-07-2023 13.JPG
01-07-2023 14.JPG
01-07-2023 15.JPG
Once back at the staggered cross tracks I crossed over and tried my luck over in the other enclosure – what used to be the ‘Exotic Plantation’ many year ago. As I followed the curving path round various Browns took off like little plumes of smoke and when I reached the main cleared area I looked about much more intently. I was rewarded with a large blue-grey butterfly that was sticking to the shadows along the margins of the clearing. Its unusual flight at first confused me as I was sure that I’d seen a Valesina but the Frits usually have a powerful flight. I risked getting a little closer and then I could see why is was acting oddly – it was looking for somewhere to lay its eggs. Once it had found a likely looking spot it rammed the rear of its abdomen into a crack or fissure in the bark. It was tricky to get anything photo wise as it was shady and I didn’t want to get too close so as not to disturb it. Job done it pottered off in the same hesitant manner deeper into the trees where I couldn’t follow it. As I made to start my amblings again a bat-like butterfly flew overhead. The markings were similar to a White Admiral but the shape was different – much squarer and, well, bat-like. It was an Emperor and I watched it fly over the clearing and into the wood beyond. Pleased that it was ‘ticked off’ I carried on finding a lovely fresh Red Admiral and H.Comma and another egg laying Silver-washed.
01-07-2023 16.JPG
01-07-2023 17.JPG
01-07-2023 18.JPG
Once back onto the main track and the Painted Lady seemed to be in a similar spot as before, the little cleared parts of the verge. This time rather than being just a collection of Browns it had turned into something of a Vanessid fest with 2 H.Commas and a Red Admiral hanging out in the same spot. A Silver-washed flashes by as does a WA which kept bombing in and out of the Oak that stands proud on the very edge of the path.
01-07-2023 19.JPG
01-07-2023 20.JPG
On my way down the hill back to the car I bumped into a chap from Emperor searching last year. He told me that he’d had an Emperor crawling all over the car next to his while he’d eaten his lunch and so I thanked him and carried internally debating about whether to hang around or not? When I reached the car I decided to have my lunch and a coffee and just keep an eye out in case I was visited. A couple of Large Whites, several Meadow Browns and a Silver-washed Fritillary all flew either across the car park or along the margins, each time distracting me from my coffee or Lime pickle sandwich. As I was finishing my repast and with the last dregs of coffee gone and the final sting from the chutney fading an Emperor appeared. It flew along the one side of the car park and climbed steeply up before flipping over and diving back down and then at the perigee of its manoeuvre it shot horizontally across the car park and disappeared between mine and my neighbours’ cars. I waited for as long as I could and then as stealthily as possible I snuck across the hard ground before sliding across my bonnet and leaning over. There on the drivers-side wheel was the Emperor, yellow proboscis out and slurping away at whatever was on the wheel (maybe they’d driven through something icky or maybe it was just the salts?). Unfortunately in the light grey very little, if any purple showed up and also I was so chuffed to have an audience that the camera was a little shaky however my expectations for this species for the year were vastly exceeded!
01-07-2023 21.JPG
01-07-2023 22.JPG
01-07-2023 23.JPG
I hung around a little longer after it had finished and it made a few more passes as did a White Admiral but I was so buzzed I didn’t think that ‘d have gotten anything should He have graced me with his presence once more and so I made my way on to Sixpenny Handley to visit my dad. After this perhaps I’ll give His Nibbs one more chance?
No expectations
Seems to be the way to go
Graced by His Nibbs

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That old adage again, Wurzel - with butterflies, always expect the unexpected... :) They constantly surprise me, almost every time I go out! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D I think that is one of the techniques to use for His Nibbs...either that or go out with the express purpose of NOT seeing one and then due to the contrary nature of this species you'd end up tripping over them! :roll: :lol:

September 2023

Here's hoping for one or two of these over the next day or so :wink:
09 Sep 23.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Slop Bog 02-07-2023

I set out first thing hoping that the weather forecast would prove correct which it didn’t. So instead of wandering along the boardwalk in blazing sun it looked like being a slow start to the morning as the cloud hung low in the sky blocking out the sun. On the plus side if I did find some Silver-studs first thing they’d be more likely to be settled and less flighty as they awaited the sun to shine through. In fact I didn’t have to wait long as after a Common Lizard the very next thing I saw as I scanned across the Purple Moor and Cotton Grass to my right was a little white flag. I knelt down on the Boardwalk and leant out across the ‘Bog’ and got my first Silver-stud of the year. There were a couple more slightly further out on the Bog so it looked like I’d timed my arrival perfectly as they were just waking up.
02-07-2023 1.JPG
02-07-2023 2.JPG
Having reached the end of the Boardwalk I then stepped down onto thin dark soil of the min track before scanning across the ‘Silver Studded Heath’, the only section name that I can recall, where there were a few blue blobs in amid the dark tendrils and violet bells of the heather. As I snaked my way along the tiny tracks between the mature clumps of Cross-leaved Heath I started seeing more and more Silver-studs as they awoke and stretched out to warm up before nipping off for breakfast. A few females also turned up showing a great range in variation of the orange markings on the upper sides of the wings. It was odd but the females seemed to be grouped together, a little Hen party almost, and after a few strides on from the ladies I was back with exclusively male Silver-studs? While I was wondering about this and thinking about walking back to check my observation the sun broke though the cloud and the behaviour of the butterflies changed. From being laid back and almost chilled to endless flapping their way across the tops of the heather from one mature clump to another.
02-07-2023 3.JPG
02-07-2023 4.JPG
02-07-2023 5.JPG
02-07-2023 6.JPG
02-07-2023 7.JPG
Often when I visit this site I see 2 maybe three different species of butterfly and on some visits it’s been solely the Silver-studs. However the biodiversity almost doubled. As I’d made my way across the heather I’d spotted a Meadow Brown and a couple of Large Skippers but now as I broached the path and left the Silver Studded Heath behind and entered another of the named sections I spotted a Ringlet – something I’d not seen here before and also a small group of Small Skippers. Whether this is a good thing or not I’m not entirely sure, could it suggest that the wood is starting to encroach on the heath? I shook off this worrying thought and got back to the over abundant Silver Studs, one of which was very freshly emerged and was still being attended too by the host species of ant.
02-07-2023 8.JPG
02-07-2023 9.JPG
02-07-2023 10.JPG
02-07-2023 11.JPG
02-07-2023 12.JPG
02-07-2023 13.JPG
02-07-2023 14.JPG
02-07-2023 15.JPG
02-07-2023 16.JPG
02-07-2023 17.JPG
02-07-2023 18.JPG
As I strolled along the tiny animal tracks across this section of heath it got drier and drier and the bog loving Cross-leaved Heath gave way to Ling. Across another one of the tracks I walked through a ribbon of Pine trees into a patch of heath-cum-woodland. There was the occasional clump of heather which looked out of place with Bramble, Juniper and Birch trees. A quick stroll around here allowed me to add Holly Blue, a few more Ringlets and Meadow Browns, and a Hedgies to the days Tally. It also gave me a chance to complete a quick Tick Check. This took quite a while and I lost count at 53, however I’m pleased to say that not a single one add managed to find a spot to latch on but it took a good 5 minutes to flick them all off from my trousers.
02-07-2023 19.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Some great images of the female Silver-studs in particular, Wurzel. :) Like the Large Blues you really don't want lots of blazing sunshine to see this species at its best - bright overcast is far better, as lots of radiation comes through the clouds to make them active, but they still need to rest and open their wings a bit.

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

What fantastic shots Wurzel, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I think I'll have to start travelling more :D I can't think of words to say :D your shots are so great so I'll just put two more :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Yep either that or a mixture of sunny spells and light cloud, like what's good for Orange-tips :D
Cheers Goldie :D That's very kind of you to say (or not as the case may be :wink: ) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Slop Bog 02-07-2023 Part 2

After this all important break (and feeling several grams lighter) I set off once more into the heather and worked my way along the path by the pines and out onto the main area of heath. I stopped here and there along the way for the odd Silver-stud but they were quite active by now and I tended to wait for them to drop in front of me or reveal themselves rather than actively seeking them out. There were a few nice females about some with outstanding ‘studs’ which just begged to have their picture taken. My wanderings eventually brought me to the far side of the reserve where the heath succumbed to grassland/pasture. Several sets of Bramble demarcated the change in habitats and these held several Ringlets, Meadow Browns and there were two more additions to the Site Tally, a few Marbled Whites had ventured forth from the paddocks and were wittering away at my feet in the spaces between the clumps and a Silver-washed nipped past dashing from one section of wood to the other.
02-07-2023 20.JPG
02-07-2023 21.JPG
02-07-2023 22.JPG
02-07-2023 23.JPG
I walked back onto the Heath proper and wandered slowly across the various sections of heath keeping to the little winding tracks again stopping whenever a Silver Stud presented itself. By now things had really warmed up and the butterflies had gotten going so the butterflies seldom stopped. The butterfly photography was made all the more difficult as they showed an unerring propensity to choose the densest patches of foliage to land in. When they did perch atop the heather the slight breeze would pick up and send them swinging backwards and forwards as if they were sitting on top of a spring. Occasionally I would take a break from wandering and stopping for the odd butterfly shot to have a look around me. It was quite a sight with the delicate pinkish purple dotted across the dark green brown of the heather. You could fathom the wet areas as the instead of the violet bell shaped flowers there would be cotton buds and towers of vibrant yellow. Then as my gaze swept away and towards the paths and the woodland the violet became deeper (Bell Heather) before fading into white (Ling). As I surveyed all that was good before me something caught my eye. A cylindrical green blob bobbing its way towards a trunk of a tree. When I got closer I could see that it was a bee carrying a cut and rolled leaf.
02-07-2023 24.JPG
02-07-2023 25.JPG
On either side of seeing this I continued in a similar vain as before, wandering, spotting something and the stooping to try for a few shots. I was astounded at how many butterflies there were and as I’d look ahead to plot out my next step of the journey I would see blue-white males or brown-cream females drifting across the heather tops like cotton tufts caught on the breeze. There seemed to be some order in the distribution of the butterflies with the areas of ‘degenerate’ heather forming little clearings which many males would muster at; like leks in miniature. With this in mind I sought out several of these little patches and sure enough they proved the ideal spots to photograph the normally active butterflies. Occasionally a female or another male would fly across the ‘clearing’ and the passive butterflies would suddenly become aggressive and take to the air. What had been microscopic ‘woodland glade’ now became a battle arena. I kept on, following the little trails from one area of degenerate heather to the next and on the way found several interesting things; beautifully marked and studded females, two pairs in cop, a ‘pathological’ male with a white hind wing and fresh vibrant males one of which was with fringes shining out like beacons. My travels across the heath had brought me back to roughly where I’d started from and so after a final catch-up with one or two individual on the Silver Stud Heath I made my way back across the Boardwalk and headed homewards.
02-07-2023 26.JPG
02-07-2023 27.JPG
02-07-2023 28.JPG
02-07-2023 29.JPG
02-07-2023 30.JPG
02-07-2023 31.JPG
02-07-2023 32.JPG
02-07-2023 33.JPG
02-07-2023 34.JPG
02-07-2023 35.JPG
02-07-2023 36.JPG
02-07-2023 37.JPG