Albino Clouded Yellow?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
False Apollo

Albino Clouded Yellow?

Post by False Apollo »

I have just been sent a couple of photographs from Andy Martin of a stunning Clouded Yellow Colias croceus aberration at Warren Edge, Southbourne, Bournemouth. This Clouded Yellow was recorded on the 15th September 2022 in the car park area. I believe the original photos were sent to the Dorset website gallery but I cannot trace the finder/photographer. Initially it was thought to be ab.schirberi but I think after discussion it was concluded that it was a one off, something incredibly rare, possibly an albino. I cannot find anything else like this on the internet and checking the UK Butterflies Aberrations page ab.schirberi is the nearest fit, but is altogether different. I cannot find anything like it in books I have looked at. I was told by Andy the observers thought it reminded them of a Yellow/Orange Camberwell Beauty in flight and the photos are somewhat reminiscent of a Cleopatra. Just to reiterate these are not my photos and I do not know who the photographer is. I have to admit I was pretty gutted to miss this on my home patch but am pleased to receive this incredible record.

Mike Gibbons
Attachments
Clouded Yellow aberration (Underside), Southbourne, Bournemouth 15.9.22
Clouded Yellow aberration (Underside), Southbourne, Bournemouth 15.9.22
Clouded Yellow aberration, Southbourne, Bournemouth 15.9.22
Clouded Yellow aberration, Southbourne, Bournemouth 15.9.22
bugboy

Re: Albino Clouded Yellow?

Post by bugboy »

What an incredible looking insect! According to the gumph ab.schirberi is the name given to an albino, so essentially one in the same thing so I think that ab. fits this butterfly.
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Identification”