Greenwings: Montes Universales, 30 July to 5 August 2023

David M

Greenwings: Montes Universales, 30 July to 5 August 2023

Post by David M »

Just back from a delightful week in the sunny, warm and butterfy-filled landscape around Albarracin in Teruel province in Spain.

Just short of 100 species were recorded, although due to issues with my camera I was not able to take as many images as I would normally do.

As ever, the damp, green canyons and gorges played host to large numbers of a variety of butterflies:
0.Gorge(1).jpg
John Vergo

Re: Greenwings: Montes Universales, 30 July to 5 August 2023

Post by John Vergo »

Looking forward to the rest David, yes it was a splendid tour :D
David M

Post by David M »

Sure was, John. It's probably my favourite tour, given the range of endemics/rarities (not to mention reliable weather and cheap beer!)
David M

Post by David M »

Unlike many of my other trips this year, this one saw all the main targets being recorded...except one - Southern Hermit escaped us for the second year running.

Last year, I put its absence down to the advanced season, but that was not the case this year. The presence of Spanish Gatekeepers, Twin-Spot Fritillaries & Southern White Admirals gave an indication that things were fairly 'normal' this time round, and given there was no lack of other closely related species (Graylings, Hermit, etc) I am starting to worry about prieuri.

In 2019 we saw around two dozen, but the last three years have returned one, zero and zero!

Thankfully, the other iconic species round here has not been similarly affected. Zapater's Ringlet was seen on each of the final three days of the trip - I personally saw over a dozen individuals:
1.ZapRg(1).jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

A thoroughly enjoyable trip - plenty of butterflies, many unusual, an excellent setting and friendly, knowledgeable guides - warmly recommended!
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Chris. This area is indeed super-rich in unusual species.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Zapater's Ringlet on a zapata.
P1050283.jpg
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

David M wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:50 am Unlike many of my other trips this year, this one saw all the main targets being recorded...except one - Southern Hermit escaped us for the second year running.

Last year, I put its absence down to the advanced season, but that was not the case this year. The presence of Spanish Gatekeepers, Twin-Spot Fritillaries & Southern White Admirals gave an indication that things were fairly 'normal' this time round, and given there was no lack of other closely related species (Graylings, Hermit, etc) I am starting to worry about prieuri.

In 2019 we saw around two dozen, but the last three years have returned one, zero and zero!
Glad the trip went (mostly) well David. So do you think that Southern Hermit has gone extinct at the known site? It would certainly appear so from my reading of your report.
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:50 pmZapater's Ringlet on a zapata
:D Who was the lucky recipient?
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Satyrids

Aside from Southern Hermit, all the other Graylings were recorded, with Rock Grayling being the commonest, followed by Great Banded Grayling:
1.GBG(1).jpg
There were fewer than normal numbers of False, Tree and Striped Graylings, but each were still seen fairly regularly:
1.StrGry(1).jpg
Hermits numbered around a dozen or so, whilst semele was around in decent numbers at the right sites.
David M

Post by David M »

selbypaul wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:53 am...do you think that Southern Hermit has gone extinct at the known site? It would certainly appear so from my reading of your report.
No, I don't. I think it's still there because all its close relatives are still there. The most plausible explanation is that prieuri's emergence time is a little in advance of those related species, meaning that when we go searching for it, the butterfly is approaching the latter stage of its flight period.

Of course, in an advanced year (such as last year) that means they may have gone over in the way Twin Spot, Lesser Marbled & Niobe Fritillaries often have (we didn't see any of those either last year).

Strange thing is that this year seemed to be only marginally forward of what we have come to take as a normal late summer. This has happened before without impacting on the butterfly. What's different this year is that in 2022 (when the season was abnormally advanced) the butterfly will have laid eggs much earlier than normal, and the record-breaking warm spring in Spain will have (presumably) seen the larvae feed up much quicker. The subsequent wet June may not have retarded this early development and the adults may well have emerged early again.

The way to test this theory is to visit a week earlier, but if we do that we would lose Zapater's Ringlet, so we are stuck with the situation.

I may possibly go out there a few days prior to the tour next year, although if we had a late season then that could be a waste of time!!
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

David M wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:58 pm
selbypaul wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:53 am...do you think that Southern Hermit has gone extinct at the known site? It would certainly appear so from my reading of your report.
No, I don't. I think it's still there because all its close relatives are still there. The most plausible explanation is that prieuri's emergence time is a little in advance of those related species, meaning that when we go searching for it, the butterfly is approaching the latter stage of its flight period.

Of course, in an advanced year (such as last year) that means they may have gone over in the way Twin Spot, Lesser Marbled & Niobe Fritillaries often have (we didn't see any of those either last year).

Strange thing is that this year seemed to be only marginally forward of what we have come to take as a normal late summer. This has happened before without impacting on the butterfly. What's different this year is that in 2022 (when the season was abnormally advanced) the butterfly will have laid eggs much earlier than normal, and the record-breaking warm spring in Spain will have (presumably) seen the larvae feed up much quicker. The subsequent wet June may not have retarded this early development and the adults may well have emerged early again.

The way to test this theory is to visit a week earlier, but if we do that we would lose Zapater's Ringlet, so we are stuck with the situation.

I may possibly go out there a few days prior to the tour next year, although if we had a late season then that could be a waste of time!!
Interesting explanation. Hope your theory proves correct!
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Special Agent Semele was on fine form, proving excellently camouflaged against the banks of streams and amongst drifts of pine cones in addition to the usual stones and tree trunks. It was noticeable, though, that they didn't have that characteristic behaviour of British graylings, appearing to take a brief look around with the 'eye' on the upperside hindwing after they land, before hiding that wing altogether.
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Satyrids

Iberian Marbled White was probably the commonest butterfly during the tour with several thousand seen:
1.IbMbWh(1).jpg
As ever, this meant the other member of this group was hard to spot, although we did find a small number of Esper's Marbled Whites at Moscardon:
1.EspMbWh(1).jpg
The local iphioides form of Chestnut Heath was less common than on many of the other trips we've done here, although they could still be counted in the low dozens:
1.SpChHth(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Satyrids

1. Speckled Wood
2. Wall Brown
3. Large Wall Brown
4. Pearly Heath
5. Chestnut Heath
6. Dusky Heath
7. Small Heath
8. Gatekeeper
9. Southern Gatekeeper
10. Spanish Gatekeeper
11. Meadow Brown
12. Dusky Meadow Brown
13. Oriental Meadow Brown
14. Zapater's Ringlet
15. Esper's Marbled White
16. Iberian Marbled White
17. Black Satyr
18. Rock Grayling
19. Grayling
20. Tree Grayling
21. Striped Grayling
22. False Grayling
23. Great Banded Grayling
24. Hermit
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

David M wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:58 pm

Interesting theory David, and like Paul, I sincerely hope you are correct. It would indeed be tragic if prieuri was lost from that site. I don't recall whether 2019 was a particularly early or late season, I think it was probably "average", but during my one and only Montes Universales trip that year, I only found 1 Southern Hermit on 7th August. A repeat visit on 10th August resulted in 10 being seen which suggests that in that year at least numbers were building during early August rather than falling. It certainly didn't appear to be reaching the latter stage of its flight period that year as all examples were very fresh :D .

It's close relative, briseis, has apparently disappeared from one of my sites in the Dordogne after I found it there in 2002 and again in 2009. Both species can be difficult to work, as you know, and have great camouflage, and seem quite fussy as to how often they fly in differing weather conditions. We can only keep our fingers crossed!

Best of luck for next year in re-finding this beauty!
David M

Post by David M »

It's a real puzzler, Pete. We've been there in early(ish) years before and seen them no problem, so the theory that their phenology has been brought forward is merely the most plausible option; it's not as if I actually think it is the case.

We've seen plenty of Hermits these last three years, so I really don't know what the problem is. It's not as if their habitat has changed - that site probably looks the same now as it did 50 years ago!!
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Fritillaries

A far greater range than last year was seen, with both Twin-Spot and Lesser Marbled still on the wing, albeit quite worn:
1.TwinSpot(1).jpg
1.LMrbFr(1).jpg
We also found a Niobe Fritillary, which was the first for about four years, I think.

High Brown was, as ever, the commonest, whilst Dark Green, Silver Washed and Spotted Fritillaries were also frequently encountered.

The most sought after within this group is Cardinal, and we recorded about 20 or so this time:
1.Cardinal(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Fritillaries

25. Cardinal
26. Silver Washed Fritillary
27. Dark Green Fritillary
28. High Brown Fritillary
29. Niobe Fritillary
30. Queen of Spain Fritillary
31. Lesser Marbled Fritillary
32. Twin Spot Fritillary
33. Knapweed Fritillary
34. Spotted Fritillary
35. Provençal Fritillary
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Aristocrats

The biggest surprise in this group was that there were more Southern White Admirals than all the rest put together! Usually, we only see low single figures of reducta but this year there must have been 30+.

Red Admirals and Painted Ladies were very scarce with only tiny numbers of each seen.

36. Red Admiral
37. Painted Lady
38. Peacock
39. Small Tortoiseshell
40. Comma
41. Southern White Admiral

Return to “Trip Reports”