Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel. I did have some luck, in fact two lots of luck !

Today I made the long distance trip to Shipton Bellinger, arriving about 09.00.
Obviously this was far too early for Brown Hairstreaks, but not for Wall Browns.
My attention was drawn to a disturbance down in the grass, it turned out to be a
mating pair of Walls with a second male attempting to try his luck. This disturbed
the love fest and the female took flight with her partner in tow. Fortunately she only
flew a short distance and to a better position for a few shots. After a while I was able
to witness the male break off after concluding his duties, and quickly disappear.
This was the first time I have seen the whole act from start to finish.

All three butterflies were very fresh.
Attachments
A second male trying his luck.
A second male trying his luck.
To a new location.
To a new location.
Duty done he's off.
Duty done he's off.
The female left abandoned.
The female left abandoned.
The luckless second male.
The luckless second male.
The female after mating.
The female after mating.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Those Walls :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely fresh Walls, Trevor, especially that female. :mrgreen: One of the few times they might actually sit still for a moment or two. :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks both. Those Walls provided a perfect start to the day.

After photographing the mating Wall Browns there was still plenty of time before
normal Brown Hairstreak activity hour. So I went for a long wander around the site
and to some of the other areas where BH have been seen in previous years, and sure
enough there were signs of trampling, particularly where bramble and thistles were growing.
When I returned to the hedge I could see a small group with cameras crouching down, and
sure enough the first male BH had been found. I spent a long time photographing that specimen,
then carried on to see if any more were down on the Wild Parsnip. I eventually found two more males,
and tipped off the other people who had been kind enough to share their find. Wild Parsnip was
the BH tipple of choice, only the fifth and last one of the day was high up on a blackberry.
Amazingly the four BH seen on Wild Parsnip spent ages nectaring, allowing very relaxed photography,
and at long last I managed shots of an open wing male which has eluded me for so long.

It was a pleasure to meet Sheila and Denise, along with her patient husband. A very sociable day.
Attachments
P1400331.JPG
P1400177.JPG
P1400219.JPG
P1400280.JPG
P1400142.JPG
P1400136.JPG
P1400337.JPG
P1400133.JPG
P1400340.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

Some lovely male Hairstreaks, Trevor - well done in getting one with its wings open as well, as they seem very reluctant to to this for some reason. :) The very first shot is my favourite of the bunch, though: open-winged, but from underneath. :) :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks Dave. It was the amount of time I was able to spend with each specimen
that was amazing, up to an hour at least. I should have mentioned the weather.
It was largely cloudy/bright and 19/20 c, the hedge provided protection from the breeze.
No females have been seen at Shipton B yet, apparently.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

:D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Well 10/10 Trevor . Perfect photos, I especially love the third one.
Absolutely beautiful.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks Katrina ! I'm pleased you enjoyed the BH's.
Do make the effort to visit if you can, it's a brilliant site ( maybe put off the plumber on Weds )
as the weather forecast for Weds looks good. Soon be time for Herstmonceux too.

PS. I've reposted that PM.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Some great Wall Brown photos and then those Brown Hairstreaks, lovely stuff :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D

Cheers,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Neil. It was one of the better sessions of the year so far at Shipton B.
The mating Wall's were an unexpected Bonus, lots to see there.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Trevor
Turns out my inbox was full which is why I didn’t originally get the message. Took me a while to work out what was happening.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Glad that's sorted Katrina :D

This afternoon, once the wind had died down, I paid a visit to Herstmonceux Castle.
My main target was the Small Tortoiseshell, a species notable by it's absence around here.
Fortunately I eventually found two, both fresh and very placid during cloudy spells.
Another challenge was trying to ' freeze ' a constantly darting Humming Bird Hawkmoth,
Quite an old one by the looks of it.
Attachments
P1400350.JPG
P1400346.JPG
P1400363.JPG
P1400359.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Wall and Brown Hairstreak shots Trevor - glad you got your open wing male 8) :D Sorry I missed the day as I was locked into doing jobs to accrue some more Brownie points :( . I was chuffed everything worked out well as the forecast on the morning wasn't that good and I'd been the day before so was feeling a little guilty having seen between 10-12 males (three of which opened up) :D
Looking forward to later this week,hopefully the Girlstreaks will be out 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel. Five male BH seen on Friday, and I'm pleased to say I found two of them.
If the BH were the main course, then the Walls were an aperitif !
A female from there was posted today, so they've started, though the holy grail for me is the male.
David M

Post by David M »

Great work with the Wall Browns & male Brown Hairstreaks, Trevor. Nice to see you found a couple of Small Tortoiseshells too.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks David.

Shipton Bellinger 2nd visit 9/10th August.
Arrangements had bee made to meet Wurzel at Shipton B on Wednesday morning.
Indeed it was something of a synchronized arrival as Wurzel turned up as I was getting out of the car.
Sunscreen and wellies were required for the wet grass and the strong sun forecast for later on.
Once we had sorted ourselves out, we had a wander along the famous hedge, and later the
Brown Hairstreak rule book was thrown out when a male came down at 10.15, disturbed no doubt
by the ever warming sun. When Dave Miller arrived we went for a wander, Dave and Wurzel went
to explore another hedge bordering the Tidworth road, which looked good. I went on to a clearing
with lots of wild flowers and quickly spotted a Brown Hairstreak nectaring with a worn Brown Argus
for company. This was fine until the BH opened her wings, and things became rather crowded.
Wurzel and Dave were out of sight so I shouted their names out, fortunately they heard me and came over.
Our main target of the visit was in full view, a fresh, female BH, but not for long as she flew off before
Dave could get near her. Wurzel managed three shots.
We had many good sightings for the rest of the day, including another female with badly damaged wings
on one side, I managed a shot of her good side. Males continued to come down on the Wild Parsley, one
individual gave us a challenge by flying up into a bush, almost out of sight and I spent a very uncomfortable
few minutes pressed against a Hawthorn to get some shots ( I still have the scars! ).

A great day in good company, and meeting faces old and new, including Brian Seaman, Daniel Moles.

My photo's won't up load I'll post them separately.
Trevor.
trevor

Post by trevor »

The shots from Wednesday 9th August.
Attachments
P1400372.JPG
The female as first found.
The female as first found.
P1400397.JPG
P1400406.JPG
Things are a little crowded.
Things are a little crowded.
P1400408.JPG
Seconds before she departed!
Seconds before she departed!
The damaged female. very battered on far side.
The damaged female. very battered on far side.
P1400497.JPG
P1400457.JPG
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Beautiful :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
millerd

Post by millerd »

It's really not like a male Brown Argus to tolerate any other butterfly so close - except obviously one with as much charisma as a fresh female Brown Hairstreak! :) :mrgreen: Terrific shots from a great day - very good to catch up, Trevor, after doing the unthinkable and missing you completely at Chiddingfold at Emperor Time. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic shots from a fantastic day Trevor 8) :D Looking at the final female shot I'm sure the scars were worth it :wink: As promised :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for the 'twofer' :shock:
Same time next year? :wink: :D

Havea goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”