Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Wurzel

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D "I'd be down there every day I think." You've just outlined my retirement plan Dave, just don't mention it in front of my wife :wink: :D

August 2023

Is it though? You couldn't tell from the weather :?
08 Aug 23.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Martin Down 02-06-2023

On the way to the half way point I saw more of the same with the addition of a couple of Small Blues and among the throng of butterflies flying around the terraced section of the Dyke near the Burnt-tips there were a few Adonis Blues, shining out and glittering in the sun. I then started towards the half-way point proper noting a few Small Blues and another Marshie right at the shallowest point where the Dyke is split by the track coming into and then across the reserve from Pentridge.
02-06-2023 18.JPG
02-06-2023 19.JPG
02-06-2023 20.JPG
02-06-2023 21.JPG
02-06-2023 22.JPG
As I followed the little track through the wall of vegetation lining the path a Holly Blue fluttered across the break and the tussock of tall grass on the corner held 3 Small Blues and a Brown Argus. I worked down the track where there were another couple of Small Blues but I couldn’t find any Greenstreaks. To be fair it had been a while since my previous visit and the one holding the territory at the end of the path had been looking a little worse for wear. As I wandered back up the track I started counting again and this time came up with a total of 7 Small Blues and a Grizzlie. I went to check out the other end of the path where it abuts onto the neighbouring field but again I couldn’t find any Greenstreaks but instead a few Adonis Blues. As I retraced my footsteps back to the large tussock I started noticing the Small Blue more readily as I’d gotten my eye in and then a dark small butterfly jinked it’s way across from Hawthorn to another. It was a Greenstreak – brilliant. I tried for a few shots and then got some shaky and blurred video on my phone in the vague hope that I’d be able to capture a single frame when the butterfly had its wing open – something to work on during the winter months.
02-06-2023 23.JPG
02-06-2023 24.JPG
02-06-2023 25.JPG
02-06-2023 26.JPG
Back at the Dyke I reacquainted myself with the Marshie and the Adonis. After a dizzying run one of the Adonis finally settled and so kneeling down I started clicking away. After a few shots my camera stopped working – I’d filled the memory card. As I reached into my bag and changed the card the butterfly carried on feeding and sitting in the sun. Then, with new card in, I looked down the viewfinder and got a little shock. In the time it had taken me to bring my eye to the viewfinder the fresh, electrifying Adonis had been replaced/usurped by a torn and faded Common Blue.
02-06-2023 27.JPG
02-06-2023 28.JPG
02-06-2023 29.JPG
02-06-2023 30.JPG
02-06-2023 31.JPG
02-06-2023 32.JPG
Time was ticking by and so I started back toward the car. The trip back took me along the same route with the same species but when I reached Big Butt I crossed the short-turfed field and walked back along the main drag. I did my best to just keep walking but I was occasionally distracted; one time as a Cuckoo passed over, the next it was a Corn Bunting that was only 3 feet away (I didn’t get any shots as it clocked me too quickly) and then there was another Greenstreak. Just up from this I spotted a tussock of tall grasses a bit like the one at the half-way point and sure enough there were Small Blues flitting about. Well four of the them were, two were other wise engaged. After a few shots I left them in peace to continue to make sure there were some Small Blues next year but only a couple of steps further along the path were a pair of Common Blues in cop. There must have been something in the air so just in case I sped up and got back to the car in record time. So ended a lovely, ‘lets see what we can see’ kinda trip.
02-06-2023 33.JPG
02-06-2023 34.JPG
02-06-2023 35.JPG
02-06-2023 36.JPG
Lazy sunshine day
Chilling out at Martin Down
See what’s on offer

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Several pairs there making hay while the Sun shone!
Great report from not long ago, which now seems an age away.
The highlight of today was a magnificent rainbow just before dusk.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D The less poor seasonal weather brought to us by the Jet Stream is helping me catch up onmy reports but I'd rather be Hedge Watching - that wonderfully rewarding late summer pastime :wink: :lol:

Compton Down 04-06-2023

With the half-term dwindling to nothing I felt the urge to get out before being trapped back at work once more. Having hit Dyrham the day before I didn’t want to go too far but at the same time I wanted to ensure plenty of bang for my buck as it were. Local sites would be good mileage wise but were still quiet so in the end I found my ideal compromise in Compton Down and I was off motoring on my way to Dorset.

When I got there the car park was full but as I set off down the track I didn’t see a single soul. At the start of the track a large and fresh Specklie held its territory and a few Brimstones were still fluttering about. Something slightly orange and very flappy caught my attention. It turned out to be my first Meadow Brown of the year. As I tried for a few shots it made me wonder about the topsy-turvy nature of this season. Large Skippers and Meadow Browns out, Dukes and Pearls still hanging on in there and no sign of the Small Pearls…Speaking of Large Skippers they were the next species to add to the tally, a tiny, veering orange bullet ricocheting off the vegetation along the bank.
04-06-2023 1.JPG
04-06-2023 2.JPG
04-06-2023 3.JPG
Once I’d gotten past the break in the hedge for the stile I started scanning ahead more attentively. Adonis and Common Blues, some of the former showing signs of war and taking on a Cobalt blue rather than the electric from when fresh, tried their best to distract me as they drifted down the steep bank or erupted from the stony track. I maintained my focus on the path and it promptly paid off with a Glannie taking off and gliding along before settling again. While I was with this Glannie a Large Skipper passed by and a few Small Blues were also flitting in and out of the long grasses. A Red Admiral took off from a pile of dog muck and buzzed me so I took this as my cue to move on slightly and the next stretch of the path, near the scallops into the bank held more blues, another Large Skipper and a second Glannie.
04-06-2023 4.JPG
04-06-2023 5.JPG
04-06-2023 6.JPG
04-06-2023 7.JPG
04-06-2023 8.JPG
04-06-2023 9.JPG
04-06-2023 10.JPG
I pressed on down to the very end of the track…well to where the track dives down into the woodland and once there I stared at the bank, A Specklie took off from the treeline and went for a passing Small Blue whilst three Holly Blues tore chunks out of each other higher up in the canopy. On the bank itself plenty of Blues cascaded down or struggled up nd on the walk uphill to the scallops I saw Small, Common and Adonis Blues as well as Large, Dingy and Grizzled Skippers. As I looked up from photographing one of the Grizzlies I watched the dark form of the Red Admiral making its way towards me. As it progressed first one, then another and finally a third, smaller, orange coloured butterfly took off to intercept. Three Glannies in a ball of fury all whizzing around the Aristocrat, it was all very revolutionary! Once they’d seen the Aristo packing they detached and moved back to their respective territories; the two that I’d previously seen moved off to the track and the third went up onto the bank. I doubled back and focused on the first one before tracking down the other two which were much fresher; bright ginger and with shining white fringes. Whilst I was hanging around the Glannies a Small Copper dropped in looking dazzling as it caught the light but looking much less so when wandering around the vegetation.
04-06-2023 11.JPG
04-06-2023 12.JPG
04-06-2023 13.JPG
04-06-2023 14.JPG
04-06-2023 15.JPG
04-06-2023 16.JPG
04-06-2023 17.JPG
04-06-2023 18.JPG
After this I made my way over the stile and started to investigate the don, stumbling over a Marshie as I broke through from the shade back into the sun. As I walked along the tracks at the bottom of the hill where they hugged the hedge I noticed a few more Small Heath in amongst the Blues as well as the odd Dingy and Grizzlie and a further two Glannies. The latter were much trickier here as they weren’t hemmed in by hedges on either side of the track and bank and they could work their way up the whole expanse of the hill before either drifting back down or letting the breeze whip them away. The Brown Argus seemed to have waned quickly here but the Adonis were everywhere and as I picked my way along the narrow tracks they’d fly up from either side. I’d worked my way almost all the way along the bottom of the down and was wondering where the Marshies were when I spotted one. It was a little battered and a few chips and chunks out of the wings but it was still a welcome sight.
04-06-2023 19.JPG
04-06-2023 20.JPG
04-06-2023 21.JPG
04-06-2023 22.JPG
04-06-2023 23.JPG
Feeling pleased with my sightings I thought it best to head home early and accrue some Brownie points prior to the emergence of the Priddy Small Pearls. As I was retracing my steps a Wood tiger flew by ad unusually allowed me to approach it. Usually the Auto Focus sets them off but this one was as good as gold and I left it where it was and went on my way. On the way out the Meadow Brown was still quartering the hedge line, a couple of Holly Blues were having a go at each other and Specklie was in the same place so, rather nicely for the narrative, I finished as I started!
Compton Down again
For more Glannies in the sun
And an old Marshie

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Some more nice Glanvilles, Wurzel - the underside markings are amazing, and those are particularly well-posed shots. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D The Glannies seem to like sitting on the rocks so you can get them without the 'clutter' in the background...bit tough on the knees though :shock: :roll:

Priddy Mineries…take 2! 10-06-2023
From reading through Face-the-book it seemed that Philzoid and I had been a little previous when it came to our Priddy visit. Now there were reports of 100+ Small Pearls in the Mendip Hills and a couple of other butterfliers that I’d met in the field before now also saw them at Priddy itself so when I set off on the Saturday morning, nice and early, the only concern was the weather. The App had been dithering and changing it’s mind throughout the previous week but if it was to be trusted then things looked set to reasonable; a little breezy, maybe a little too hot later (hence the early run) but definitely no thunder or rain. I cranked Maiden up and put pedal to the metal.

Once on site I crossed the road behind a group that were setting out on their DofE. Only being weighed down by my flask and my camera I soon overtook them and started scanning across the undulating grasses. I spotted a few Small Heath which I took to be a good sign as on my first visit they were also the first butterflies. Sure enough a few steps further along the track and I spotted a Small Pearl. It kept perching with fronds of Bracken or various leaves overhanging it but I pleased to have gotten off the mark with at least something on the memory card. As I was enjoying reacquainting myself with the butterfly the same I was overtaking by the DofE lads who were probably wondering why I was staring fixatedly into a bush. Once I reached the small Hillock where the paths split up; one towards the Pools, another on through the wood and the final one up the side of the hill following the drystone wall, I started looking even more intently. As I wove up the hill I found another Small Pearl flying around the large Bramble patch. Slightly further on along the track was a Large Skipper and adjacent to it was a Greenstreak looking surprisingly fresh. I worked my way back down to the main path and in the scrape at the bottom there were a couple more Small Pearls having a three way battle with a Large Skipper.
10-06-2023a 2.JPG
10-06-2023a 4.JPG
10-06-2023a 5.JPG
10-06-2023a 6.JPG
10-06-2023a 7.JPG
With my target species secured and a few shots in the bag I felt like I’d be able to have a little wander around the rest of the site. I followed the path along side the Pond where at least two different species of Dragonflies were quartering the surface and on through the very narrow path hemmed in on either side by the phragmites. At the end the path rose up to the top of a steep bank and the rest of the site opened up before me. There were steep banks and hollows, bowls quarried out and areas of thin turf with the blackened slag showing through. Along the stream tower block grass tussocks rose up and threatened to overshadow me and the all the undulations of this alien looking place were bordered by thin strands trees lining the boundary and its path. In terms of butterflies it seemed that almost everything barring a few Small Heaths and the odd Large Skipper were still tucked up in their beds. Once I go back on the border path on my way to the hillock I soon spotted a Small Pearl, as it flew past me and over the decaying drystone wall into the neighbouring field.
10-06-2023a 8.JPG
I set off around the hillock a few times, taking in all the likely looking spots from last year but most of the Small Pearls were flying around the top, down on the south eastern side and in the scrape at the bottom of the hill so I did a couple of tours around these spots. I’d watch a Small Pearl as it appeared as if from out of nowhere, then follow it around all the while trying not to twist and ankle or snap a shin in a hidden pothole and then one of three things would happen. Most often it would suddenly accelerate or catch the breeze and it would disappear from view. The next most likely outcome would be that it would land only to be seen off by a Large Skipper or take off to hassle another Small Pearl that had appeared on the scene. The rarest, and sweetest of outcomes was that it would finally take a breather and I’d be able to get in for a few shots. Most of my time was spent with ‘the following and cursing of the wee scunner’ but when they finally did settle they were worth all the hassle, all the twisted ankles and wrecked shins and I even felt a little apologetic about the cussing.
10-06-2023a 9.JPG
10-06-2023a 10.JPG
10-06-2023a 11.JPG
As I was watching I tried to count how many there were but they were so mobile this proved really tricky. Occasionally I’d see two together at one time and the maximum I had in one view at any time was three. I was also starting to notice that there were certain characters that would crop up in similar places. One seemed much lighter in colour than the others and was more delicately marked, another was quite swarthy and one seemed much smaller than the other, tiny by comparison but much more feisty. There were also a couple of females which didn’t fly as far, paused more often and also seemed to seek cover or shade more readily than the males. I reckoned that on the main hillock there were probably 7-8 Small Pearls flying as well as a few Large Skippers, 2 meadow Browns and an aged Dingy Skipper.
10-06-2023a 12.JPG
10-06-2023a 13.JPG
10-06-2023a 14.JPG
10-06-2023a 15.JPG
10-06-2023a 16.JPG
10-06-2023a 17.JPG
I took a small break on the little wooden bridge and used the shade of the tree there to examine my shots from the morning. As I looked away from the screen to my left was a Specklie. I was just about to swing my lens around and try for a few shots when it was dive bombed by a Small Pearl. This was enough to rouse from my chillin in the shade and I set to following the Small Pearl. It didn’t go to far and it was soon joined by a couple more Small Pearls all flying around a tiny little patch of grasses hemmed in at the back by the large growth of Bramble, on the right this bramble thinned out but there was also a steep bank down to the little stream spanned by the bridge I’d been sitting on and on the final side the drystone wall. This didn’t act as much of a barrier as they kept nipping over this and zooming away across the fields before returning a few minutes later. It looked like there were two males here whose tracks kept overlapping and also a female that somehow managed to keep out of the way.
10-06-2023a 18.JPG
10-06-2023a 19.JPG
Chuffed with this little flourish of activity I decided that this would make a fitting end to the visit and so I followed the little paths down and back to the main track. As I reached the bottom of the hill a male Common Blue drifted past me almost wishing me farewell…However the butterflies weren’t done with me quite yet and only a shirt stroll on and I’d seen another Common Blue, a few Small Heaths a UFW and 2 more Small Pearls. “Surely that’ll be it” I thought but as I drew near to the spot which previously had held a Greenstreak I saw a couple more Small Pearls, then a few more slightly further up the bank and even more towards the top of the bank – 8 in one view. There seemed to be a few more still fluttering about along the top of the bank so I picked out a thin path and followed it up the bank. At the top was a shallow hollow and it was a hive of activity. A few Small Heath and a female Common Blue were merely the supporting cast in a company of Small Pearls. It was almost impossible to count them as they would fly tis way and that, they’d hassle one another or leave a perfectly perfect pose to bother another butterfly. I tried to count but the most the most I could get to was 11 in one view before I’d realize that there were more waiting in the wings as it were beyond my peripheral vision. I gave up counting pretty quickly after that as I didn’t fancy a migraine and instead just enjoyed seeing so many butterflies of a species that is now sadly extinct in my neck of the woods. They certainly made the journey worthwhile.
10-06-2023a 20.JPG
10-06-2023a 21.JPG
10-06-2023a 22.JPG
10-06-2023a 23.JPG
10-06-2023a 24.JPG
When I got back to the car I still had the afternoon stretching out before me and Collard Hill was only 12-13 miles away...
Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

A few mrgreens are necessary for those Small Pearls :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
And the sort of shots I would have liked to obtained this year. But I'm sure the local
colony is extinct. No one I know saw any this year. PBF were seen there however.
I think the heatwave and subsequent drought last year may have been responsible.
millerd

Post by millerd »

You did much better with the Small Pearls at Priddy, Wurzel, than I did just two days later: they were endlessly moving on the 12th! :) Some great shots there including some terrific undersides. :mrgreen: It's a fascinating site all round, like nowhere else I've been to. I wonder why the Small Pearls thrive there as they do?

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D When I went with Philzoid he suggested that it was a bit like their Northern/moor habitats? :?

Collard Hill 10-06-2023

The drive over was reasonable despite a road closure sending me a less scenic route and Satnav having a wobble at the last minute and taking me to a different Youth Hostel. The very narrow gate posts were a new addition as well but with these safely negotiated I was away I was soon marveling at the multitude of Orchids on the walk over. Then it was a case of crossing the road and I was in and on site. During the drive over I’d been racing the haze but now it took over. I was actually quite pleased by this as there was still enough warmth to keep any Large Blues that I found active and enough light to photograph by whilst they’d hopefully open up to reveal their glorious topsides. The old tracks that I used a few years before through the woodland on the corner were wildly overgrown so I worked my way down the first grassed slope instead. Meadow Browns puffed up from the long grass which surprised me as always; they’re invisible amongst the straw coloured grasses and then as soon as they reach about half way the stems they stick out like a sore thumb, contrasting so strongly with their background colour. My first Marbled White also popped up but was whipped away by the breeze that was running unchecked down the hill.
10-06-2023b 1.JPG
10-06-2023b 2.JPG
At the bottom I worked around the break of Gorse and up the other side. In the little space between the clumps of furze I’d seen Large Blues before and so it was today with a slate grey butterfly flying down the hill towards me. It led me on a merry dance for quite a while, back down and along the edge of the Gorse along the route I’d already walked and then disappearing out in the sea of grass before reappearing once more and leading me back the hill. Eventually it flew up and over the corner of the Gorse crop and it was gone from view. I’d definitely seen one, they blue black colour and the flight type was unmistakable so now to try and get a shot.
To that end I walked over to the far Eastern end of the reserve. On the way there were a plenty of Meadow Browns as well as a few Marbled Whites and Large Skippers. I found a couple of Small Heath and a Brown Argus and female Common Blue, easily distinguishable as the female was bedecked in a gamult of blue scales. I reckoned that I’d done the right thing as there were a few other enthusiasts wandering about the hillside so this seemed to be a good spot. I worked my way down the lower tracks along the side of the hill and after quite a short time I’d found a Large Blue. She was a bit tired, worn around the edges with some scales worn away and her fringes in tatters but to be honest she could have had a single wing as far as I was concerned because she pottered about oblivious to me getting some shots.
10-06-2023b 3.JPG
10-06-2023b 4.JPG
10-06-2023b 5.JPG
Once I’d successfully added the species to the yearly tally, as is often the way, the next Large Blue turned up quite promptly and this was in a much better state of repair although it wasn’t half as approachable as the first. No matter as it seemed that the bright yet overcast conditions were working out well. In between some chatting, a couple of other butterfliers and myself took to wandering along the narrow tracks that traverse the side of the hill. The bottom section looked good but a Brown Argus was seeing off all comers. It had a go at a Large Skipper, a Common Blue and also a couple each of Small Heath, Meadow Brown and Marbled White. I found his ‘small dog’ antics quite amusing right up to the pint when he chased of a Large Blue –I thought this was very unsporting but luckily I managed to keep my eyes trained on it and it landed slightly further up the hill. I grabbed a couple of shots as it investigated some Thyme but it moved on before settling and opening up. I called out and the other were able to get some shots.
10-06-2023b 6.JPG
10-06-2023b 7.JPG
10-06-2023b 8.JPG
10-06-2023b 9.JPG
10-06-2023b 10.JPG
It moved on again, but again only a matter of metres away and slightly lower down the hill. It seemed to be looking for something a little more substantial to perch on and once it had found a suitable perch site it settled down and once again it opened up. I’m not sure how much sun it was catching as the hazy cloud had blanketed the sky by this point and it was also heading towards the mid-twenties in terms of temperature. After a couple more minutes it once again took off and once again landed slightly lower down the slope but this time its wings remained firmly closed. I didn’t mind this; having already clocked the topside it was nice to get some underside shots of a nice fresh specimen. It sat there for 10 minutes or more while we intertwined our chat with taking it in turns to photograph it but when it flew for a fourth time I let it go and left it in peace.
10-06-2023b 12.JPG
10-06-2023b 13.JPG
Time was ticking away and so I carefully descended to the lowest of the tracks and started for home. I passed the Brown Argus Territory and a Marbled White took its life into its hands and landed slap bang in the middle of the Thunderdome. Luckily for the Marbled White, which wanted somewhere to have a bit of a breather and also luckily for me who wanted to get some shots, the Brown Argus was otherwise engaged with a couple of other intruders and so I got a few shots in before the Brown Argus turned its violent intentions towards the much bigger Marbled White.
10-06-2023b 14.JPG
10-06-2023b 15.JPG
I set off once more but once again I was delayed by a Large Blue (don’t you just hate it when they d that? ;-)). This looked to be another individual again, quite fresh, very heavily marked and with a slice out of its right hand forewing. It too landed and promptly opened up, at one point almost to 180 degrees. I can’t recall a trip like this, when the closed wing shots were at a premium and almost every Large Blue would land and flop its wings out :shock: :oops: :lol: . As I clicked away I felt a few drops of the wet stuff on my arms and so I took this as my cue to finally take my leave. What a cracking day out!
10-06-2023b 16.JPG
10-06-2023b 17.JPG
10-06-2023b 18.JPG
Large Blues and Small Pearls
Day out to the twin county
Superb Somerset

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your shots of the Large Blue Wurzel :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Fantastic :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D They were a fitting finale to a brilliant trip 8)

Epsom 17-06-2023

Epsom was recorded before a live lepidopteran audience and was brought to you today by UKB productions. A massive thank you goes to Trevor for behavourial intelligence, Bugboy for site information and navigational operations and Dave for reconnaissance, guiding and most importantly caffeine logistics.

Having dropped my daughter K off at Heathrow so she could jet off to Camp America, dried my eyes and made the drive down to Epsom I pulled into the entrance of the car park a little before 5am. Luckily I’d not imbibed any caffeine and so crawling into the passenger seat I managed a couple more hours sleep. I was woken at just before 7 by the Steward as he unlocked the gate and then I was able to drive in and get set up for the day. With ablutions completed, ‘eyes in’ and breakfast eaten I went for a quick stroll around to properly wake up. An unearthly squawking alerted me to a Rose-ringed Parakeet and the two tone call of Nuthatch were the highlights amongst the other passerines but it was still a little early for butterflies. Dave arrived shortly after this with a truly magnificent cup of coffee and we started chatting and walking. Frist across the field and then down through the wood and through a gate into a scrubby looking little field. There were a few mature trees scattered about and also lots of strips, clumps, ‘hedges’ and thickets of Blackthorn. A Red Admiral flashed past an and settled which was the first sign that things were starting to wake up. The odd Meadow Brown took off and then just when we were discussing where to head a call went up from nearby and so we headed over and there sitting under a leaf was a Blackstreak – my second ever helping as it were.
17-06-2023 1.JPG
17-06-2023 2.JPG
17-06-2023 3.JPG
17-06-2023 4.JPG
As we made the formal introductions (nice to meet you Dan) the sun started to peer our and the butterfly ventured forth from the shade onto the top of the plant where it sat seemingly oblivious to the three of us taking it in turns to take its photo. After a while it decided that it had basked enough and it set off to flutter around the tops of the Blackthorn and so we set off to have a bit of a wander around and see if we could find any more.

The spot where we’d found the first was a little scallop in a roughly triangularly shaped thicket which stretched from it’s base, the main path running along the boundary, up to a point about half way into the field. There were a few breaks across the narrower parts which saved us having to walk all the way round and after delicately picking our way through one Dave found another Blackstreak just sitting along the edge of the path. It was on a leaf at about chest height on the left-hand side hedge which had formed a narrow corridor between the triangular thicket and another which was dominated by a large Oak. It didn’t go anywhere as the sun had nipped in behind the clouds. This one looked quite aged but I imagine that what with fluttering around Blackthorn and nectaring on Bramble its state of disrepair actually belied how young it was, probably a matter of days.
17-06-2023 5.JPG
17-06-2023 6.JPG
Slightly further on the narrow corridor opened up and the track ended in a T junction with the boundary fence. Dan found a nice looking Hairstreak in a much better state of repair it’s blonder look suggesting that it was a female. Once it had departed we discussed about how sometimes the butterflies just appear as if out of nowhere and by magic when I conjured up a female myself. She was stunning and I fired off a few shaky shots as I was so pleased to be seeing the kind of views that I’d hoped for. When she flew off into the higher reaches of the thicket we took this as our cue to move on as well. It had clouded over slightly so we mooched around a bit chatting away and clocking likely looking spots that would be worth examining later. Back to roughly where we’d seen out first Dave found our 5th Hairstreak of the day and possibly our 6th.
17-06-2023 7.JPG
17-06-2023 8.JPG
The sun started to reappear and so we saw one or two other species, Meadow Browns a Small Heath and just on the other side of the little break through the thicket my first Small Skipper of the year. We finished up our travels almost to the start of the narrow path way where Dave had found the second Hairstreak. As the sun had returned we started seeing more Hairstreaks but rather than sitting nicely on leaves and sunbathing they were acting in typical Hairstreak fashion; jinking about up high and setting other, hidden individuals off in rapid chases. It proving difficult to watch one individual butterfly and so instead I’d stand back and do quick scans across the tops of the scrub. For a while 4 was the highest number at one time but this rose to 6 eventually, possibly more but a couple of Large Skippers at ground level distracted me momentarily. Dave and I set out on another exploration and had a look further afield but the mosaic of scrub became a blanket of ferns with the odd tree puncturing the verdant blanket. Sitting in the gloom was an aged Blackstreak – at least I though it was as it was so tatty I couldn’t really be sure. It took umbrage at me calling it tatty and so flew off up into one of the nearby Oaks.
17-06-2023 9.JPG
17-06-2023 10.JPG
17-06-2023 11.JPG
17-06-2023 12.JPG
17-06-2023 13.JPG
17-06-2023 14.JPG
17-06-2023 15.JPG
Back at the back, down the narrow path and in the miniature clearing by the boundary we joined a couple more enthusiasts. There were three Blackstreaks all flying up high just over the boundary line and as we were willing them to come closer and lower a White Admiral flashed past, another first for the year. There were a few more sightings of what I’m guessing was the same Admiral as we waited patiently (and in the end futilely) for the Blackstreaks to come to us. There was some excitement behind us but alas it turned out to be the smallest Meadow Brown that I’ve ever seen that was acting like a Blackstreak, jinking flight, fluttering about up high, sitting on a Bramble leaf and trying its best to remain obscured behind various leaves.
17-06-2023 16.JPG
17-06-2023 17.JPG
17-06-2023 18.JPG
The group had now grown to 6 and so with more pairs of eyes it was inevitable that more Hairstreaks were spotted. However they seemed to be coming down less frequently now and so getting shots involved distant views that would need to be cropped to within an inch of their life’s or standing on tip toes and holding the camera above your head whilst peering through the viewfinder an relying on autofocus to do its thang. Time was passing and with the caffeine starting to wane I was feeling less and less alert and so Dave and I started on our way back. We paused by the spot where the day had begun for a Marbled White and a White-legged Damselfly. While Dave and another enthusiast watched the Marbled White I found my final hairstreak of the day. It was walking along in the grass so at first I thought that it was the extraordinarily small Meadow Brown but when it hopped up onto a leaf I could see the markings.
17-06-2023 19.JPG
17-06-2023 20.JPG
This final Hairstreak in roughly the same place as the first would have made for the perfect ending of the trip but as I’ve noted before butterflies don’t have a good sense of the narrative and so while we were making our way out of the scrubby section the/a White Admiral alighted on a clump of Bramble and started feeding. I couldn’t really complain at this usurper for my tale and while we watched it a few Meadow Browns fluttered around as did another Small Skipper. When we made it into the shadow of the Wood a Specklie flew amid the shafts of light filtering through the leaves and a Toadlet did its best to get flattened as it crossed the track at a snail’s place. We reached the car park just in time as I’d now gone beyond flagging and was in desperate need of a stimulant. So weary was I that when I wish Dave well on his further travels I tried to climb into the passenger side to drive away!
17-06-2023 21.JPG
17-06-2023 22.JPG
17-06-2023 23.JPG
Very early start
And Blackstreaks revisited
Make a great morning

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

First of all, Wurzel, a series of :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for the Large Blues. You really struck lucky with their favourite type of weather, and when it goes like that they are an absolute joy. :)

That was a very enjoyable morning at Epsom as well, some great company along with a selection of generally well-behaved Black Hairstreaks. :) All that's right with this pursuit of ours... :)

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I'm glad they behaved themselves for you, some great shots :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

A :mrgreen: for your open wing Large Blue. I was teased when I went to see them,
but they never quite obliged, however two mating pairs were seen.

Good to see you at Shipton B, always a great meet up. I left at 12.30 and I expect
they came down in droves once I had left! It was also good to put faces to names
on the first day. See you in about 51 weeks time!. :D

Trevor.
PS. While waiting near the college in Salisbury a Clouded Yellow flew over the road.
A positive sighting, it was the wrong shade of yellow for a Brimstone.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D It was a brilliant trip...even though I was wired from a caffeine overdose by the end of it :lol:
Cheers Bugboy :D They made up for messing about the first time I saw them that's for sure 8)
Cheers Trevor :D You only missed out on a tatty old male and two females - one was right back in a bush and the other played nicely but sat right in the middle of the nettle bed and didn't open up :roll: Gutted about the Cloudy - I could do with that to get to 50 :shock: fingers crossed :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Botany Bay 17-06-2023

Having tried to drive away from Epsom on the passenger side of the car :shock: I thought it best to go the back way to Chiddingfold and avoid busy and fast roads in case I fell asleep. The constant bends, slowing down for speed restrictions or cyclists and the can of Coke consumed on the way meant that I arrived in a much more alert state that I’d departed plus all my gear was ready to grab so within seconds of parking I was away down the track. It had clouded over during the drive but actually this was quite pleasant as it was still bright enough for the butterflies to fly without having to avoid bleaching out the whites. What wasn’t as pleasant was the sticky, muggy air but a White Admiral shortly along the track made up the humidity. It went up from the track and landed at about head height in the tree so I was able to get a few shots. This seemed to be a popular stretch for them as a further two passed by. Unfortunately these didn’t stop and one of them was a totally black White Admiral. As I watched it scything its way through the air a much smaller butterfly jinked across the path from one tree top to another. It’s flight and diminutive size suggested Purple Hairstreak to me although it seemed a bit early for them?
17-06-2023a 1.JPG
17-06-2023a 2.JPG
After this initial flurry of activity things quietened down as I walked deeper into the wood. Meadow Browns and Large Skippers played along the verges on either side of the track and at the second sharp bend three Specklies laid into each other. The browns and skippers were all very nice but I was hoping for a Wood White and I’d drawn near to where I’ve seen them before I started scanning a little more intently. I followed the track down and over the river Lox and then back up when I spotted something. Ahead in the distance on the right-hand side of the track a small white blob fluttered weakly this way and that. As I drew near it started flying in a more direct fashion, albeit still looking like it was barely keeping itself airborne. What it lacked in speed it made up for in stamina and I walked slowly along behind it about half way along the track, all the way back to the bridge and then all the way back to pretty much where it had started. At no point in its flight had it stopped, just occasionally it flapped around this flower or that but it was ceaseless. I tried for a few in flight shots but it’s flappy flight made it surprisingly difficult to capture as I couldn’t predict where it would be next. I thought that I’d be frustrated about this but actually I quite enjoyed watching it bumble along and I was reminded of The Wizard; “Never talking, Just keeps walking, Spreading his magic” (although to be technical it would be flying not walking ).
Eventually it spotted a second Wood White and following them became much easier as she would flutter around a particular plant or land momentarily to rebuff his advances. He for all his faults was nothing by persistent and each time she stopped he would swoop in, antennae bobbing. He finally wore her out and so she settled on a leaf in a circle of Bramble and he alighted next to her. He stroked her antennae with his and then occasionally would flash his wings open and she would reciprocate. At least it seemed like she was digging him but then she took off this time landing down on the stony track floor. This was great for me and lying flat on the ground I was able to get in really close and get my shots as he again did his best to woo her. I left them in peace and carried on down the track. My state of chuffed-ness marred only slightly as too late I spotted a Clegg on my left hand!
17-06-2023a 3.JPG
17-06-2023a 4.JPG
17-06-2023a 5.JPG
17-06-2023a 6.JPG
17-06-2023a 7.JPG
17-06-2023a 8.JPG
17-06-2023a 9.JPG
Smarting at her sneakiness I carried on up the track with Large Skippers and Meadow Browns flapping about and up at the Y in the track I headed left and spotted my third Wood White. This one was also very flighty and as I wandered back and forth following it and awaiting it to alight a White Admiral shot past showing the Wood White “how this flying malarkey” should be done. Another Wood White was doing was further along the track and as I approached the little gap in the trees which led to the triangular clearing a saw Red Admiral sitting on top of dog poo a little way in the distance. In a couple of weeks I would have possibly have muttered “it’s just an Admiral’ but not so today. The butterfly didn’t play ball anyway so cursing it for a different reason I made my way through the little gap into the clearing beyond.
17-06-2023a 10.JPG
I spotted a Wood White almost immediately and after watching it for a bit I found another within a few strides. This one was flying round and round certain flowers and examining various petals or florets so was quite easy to follow and get close too. The reason for this behavior became clear when she alighted, curved her abdomen around and laid an egg. Then she was off to repeat the process and so do her bit to complete her biological imperative.
17-06-2023a 11.JPG
17-06-2023a 12.JPG
17-06-2023a 14.JPG
17-06-2023a 15.JPG
By now the sun had come out and all the butterflies, even the Wood Whites were starting to fly more strongly and for longer periods of time so after picking up another Wood White at the top of the triangle I made my way out of the clearing and back along the track. As I walked the Large Skippers and Meadow Browns continued to play and I managed to relocate the/a Wood White both by the Y in the track and also down near the bridge. On the final stretch I was again treated to a White Admiral fly-by and a Red Admiral was down on the track. Back at the car I’d checked and flicked off Ticks and was had just finished changing out of my boots when the heavens opened. Somehow despite all of the weather forecasts I managed to miss all of the potential downpours and I drove home with the warm glow of a day well spent only for the sudden realization of why I’d gone I the first place to hit me when I reached the outskirts of Salisbury and a few tears were shed.
17-06-2023a 16.JPG
“Sun is shining, clouds have gone by,
All the people give a happy sigh,
He has passed by, giving his sign,
Left all the people feeling so fine.”

(The Wizard – Black Sabbath)
Have a goodun

Wurzel
p.s. I took those tears back when a day or so later I got some What’s App photos of Swallowtails and their version of a White Admiral sent through from K!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Excellent account and shots of the Wood Whites. :mrgreen:
It's your stamina that amazes me, what with Heathrow and Epsom earlier!
Two rare species in one day was worth the effort!

Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great Wood White shots but just think, it was only a week later that those same paths were littered with HIM!(Sorry, you probably didn't need reminding of that :wink: )
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Sounds like you had Chiddingfold to yourself, Wurzel, as I did just a week later. :wink: :) I only saw the one Wood White, though to be fair I wasn't looking very hard for them... It's a great place just for a leisurely amble at any time.

Some great behavioural shots there, and you reinforced one of my mottos - never go straight home if there's a way via another butterfly! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Trevor :D If was pure caffeine and I remembered my 'training' from the Band days :wink: :lol:
Cheers Bugboy :D As a teacher I'm used to people giving with one hand and taking with the other :roll: :wink: :lol:
Cheers Dave :D "never go straight home if there's a way via another butterfly!" this is a mantra that I intend to follow to the letter 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”