Gatekeeper Variant.

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Peter Woodruff

Gatekeeper Variant.

Post by Peter Woodruff »

Is this my first variant male Gatekeeper please?
Attachments
DSC00425.JPG
Peter Woodruff

Re: Gatekeeper Variant.

Post by Peter Woodruff »

OK, so I learn there are aberrations with Gatekeepers, but it would have been good for one of the 35 viewers of this post to have told me so. But thanks anyway!
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

They look pretty normal to me?
David M

Post by David M »

Me too...that's why I didn't say anything.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Likewise.

Gatekeepers display a lot of variation, so if you go out and photograph a random series of a dozen males you will find that probably you have no two that match. They fade a bit with age and wear too, giving further variability. Like many species, there are some extreme variations - with multiple extra spots for example. Some of these (especially recurring ones) the somewhat obsessive Victorian collectors decided to call "aberrations", but most (including the two above) are probably within normal variation.

Dave
Peter Woodruff

Post by Peter Woodruff »

Thanks for your responses, they are appreciated. It's the first time I've seen two male Gatekeepers together, and the variation in colour has never registered with me otherwise when seen in singles. Thanks in particular to 'millerd', the clarity in your response was helpful.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

millerd wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:10 pm Likewise.

Gatekeepers display a lot of variation, so if you go out and photograph a random series of a dozen males you will find that probably you have no two that match. They fade a bit with age and wear too, giving further variability. Like many species, there are some extreme variations - with multiple extra spots for example. Some of these (especially recurring ones) the somewhat obsessive Victorian collectors decided to call "aberrations", but most (including the two above) are probably within normal variation.

Dave
Not just the Victorians, going by some of the posts I see on various Facebook groups, there are still some who get obsessive over every slight difference, most of which fall well within normal variation.

Cheers,

Neil.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Neil Freeman wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:50 am
Not just the Victorians, going by some of the posts I see on various Facebook groups, there are still some who get obsessive over every slight difference, most of which fall well within normal variation.

Cheers,

Neil.
Ah, well - I don't use Facebook so haven't encountered this! :) From what I'm told it would likely annoy me, so I shall continue to avoid the platform. It seems you have to wade through a lot of nonsense to uncover anything useful.

Cheers,

Dave
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

millerd wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:27 pm ...it seems you have to wade through a lot of nonsense to uncover anything useful.
Yes indeed. I am a member of a couple of closed local groups (you have to apply and be accepted by a group moderator.) which are good, but the larger open groups can be full of some real nonsense. While I try and limit my time on these open groups, sometimes I cannot help myself in looking to see what the latest claptrap is.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Identification”