Post by David M »

Riodinidae

Several Dukes were seen during the first leg of the tour:

70. Duke of Burgundy
David M

Re: Greenwings: French Alps, 24 June to 1 July 2023

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Erebia

A far narrower range seen this year, with several favourites missing due to the season, such as False Mnestra, Sooty, Blind and Piedmont Ringlet.

Only Almond-Eyed was common:
1.AERAdonis(1).jpg
A small number of Dewy Ringlets were recorded near Col Agnel:
1.DewyR(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Erebia

71. Almond-Eyed Ringlet
72. Mountain Ringlet
73. Common Brassy Ringlet
74. Large Ringlet
75. De Prunner's Ringlet
76. Dewy Ringlet
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You certainly did have a good trip to France :lol: fantastic Butterflies :mrgreen: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Was still highly enjoyable, Goldie, only with far fewer butterflies than we see there normally.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

View from the top of the Col Agnel on 13 June, looking back into France. The Italian side was shrouded in mist. Hardly a place for butterflies!
P1030537.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for posting that, Chris. I recall you saying something about it recently but as they say, a picture paints a thousand words, and that one speaks volumes in relation to how things are so late in that part of the Alps this year.
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Fritillaries

It spoke volumes that one of the commonest of this group was Marsh Fritillary, which we often do not see in an early or 'normal' season on this trip:
1.MarshFrit(1).jpg
Both Heath and False Heath were about, albeit in smaller numbers than usual:
1.HthFseHthAERing(1).jpg
Provençal Fritillaries were still looking fresh and we did manage to pick up a handful of Titania's Frits, although photo opportunities were hard to come by.

Once again, the headline was more what we didn't see, which was the bulk of the montane members of the group, such as Cynthia's, Grison's, Shepherd's and Mountain Fritillary. Given Matsukaze's image earlier, you can see why!
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

David M wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:17 pm Nymphalidae - Fritillaries

It spoke volumes that one of the commonest of this group was Marsh Fritillary, which we often do not see in an early or 'normal' season on this trip:

Once again, the headline was more what we didn't see, which was the bulk of the montane members of the group, such as Cynthia's, Grison's, Shepherd's and Mountain Fritillary. Given Matsukaze's image earlier, you can see why!
It sounds like a truly crazy season out there this year David - I am heading to the northern part of the French Alps in a week (Haute Savoie/Isere) and have absolutely no idea what to expect! Watch this space...
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

Montes is going to be interesting in a couple of weeks David. I would almost prefer it to be a little late so that everything is fresh. But it may mean sacrificing Zapater’s
David M

Post by David M »

petesmith wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:32 pmIt sounds like a truly crazy season out there this year David - I am heading to the northern part of the French Alps in a week (Haute Savoie/Isere) and have absolutely no idea what to expect! Watch this space...
Craziest I've known, Pete. That said, given the hot spell lately, I think you'll be alright up there...unless it all breaks down into storms and floods again!! :shock:

I look forward to seeing how you get on. Good luck!
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Fritillaries

77. Silver Washed Fritillary
78. High Brown Fritillary
79. Dark Green Fritillary
80. Niobe Fritillary
81. Weaver's Fritillary
82. Pearl-Bordered Fritillary
83. Titania's Fritillary
84. Marbled Fritillary
85. Lesser Marbled Fritillary
86. Marsh Fritillary
87. Scarce Fritillary
88. Queen of Spain Fritillary
89. Heath Fritillary
90. False Heath Fritillary
91. Glanville Fritillary
92. Spotted Fritillary
93. Provençal Fritillary
94. Meadow Fritillary
95. Knapweed Fritillary
David M

Post by David M »

Andy02 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:49 pmMontes is going to be interesting in a couple of weeks David. I would almost prefer it to be a little late so that everything is fresh. But it may mean sacrificing Zapater’s
Sure will, Andy. I've kept my eye on the weather there this last couple of weeks and it has been around 34c and sunny almost constantly, so one presumes that it is unlikely to be too far behind.

Sacrificing zapateri is simply not on the agenda!!
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Aristocrats

Fairly quiet on this front. Small Tortoiseshells were regulars at altitude, whilst a small number of Large Tortoiseshells were also seen.

Both Red Admirals and Painted Ladies were thin on the ground, whilst Southern White Admiral was only recorded at lower elevation on the penultimate day.

We did manage to get Peacock on the list by virtue of one seen in the lay-by where we parked for alexanor in Italy:

96. Small Tortoiseshell
97. Large Tortoiseshell
98. Comma
99. Southern White Admiral
100. Red Admiral
101. Painted Lady
102. Peacock
Last edited by David M on Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Satyrids

A decent selection amongst this group, with Darwin's Heath being seen at one site close to Col de la Cayolle:
1.Darwinii(1).jpg
Pearly Heath was very common, but amazingly we didn't pick up a single Chestnut Heath, which is normally quite abundant above 1,300m.

Both Great Banded and Woodland Grayling were massively down on normal numbers, although we did find Rock Grayling at a site near Lac de Serre Ponçon as well as Grayling (semele) at the fort above our first hotel.

The weather during the second half of the trip meant that we didn't get much chance to see Alpine Heath, whilst Great Sooty Satyrs numbered no more than a dozen!
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Satyrids

103. Grayling
104. Woodland Grayling
105. Rock Grayling
106. Great Banded Grayling
107. Pearly Heath
108. Darwin's Heath
109. Small Heath
110. Large Wall Brown
111. Wall Brown
112. Meadow Brown
113. Marbled White
114. Speckled Wood
115. Great Sooty Satyr
David M

Post by David M »

So, in summary, whilst this was an enjoyable trip, the extreme season had a significant impact on both butterfly numbers and variety.

In a 'normal' year, I would expect 125-130 species on this tour, so 115 (118 if we add those seen by others but not by me) falls quite a bit short.

The impact was felt most severely at higher altitude where many species had yet to emerge, although it hadn't affected the local marmots, who were about in good numbers:
0.Marmot(1).jpg
Since I returned on 2nd July, southern Europe has entered into a heatwave of intense nature, so this too will have to be factored in when assessing what might happen in 2024.

Nothing feels predictable anymore - in just 12 months we have gone from an absurdly early season to a profoundly late one. I'd pay a king's ransom for us to have a few 'on target' seasons in the coming years.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Your observations about the wildly varying seasons is spot on.

Having been in the Italian Alps the week before you this year, the very late spring really constrained what we were able to see at altitude.

Goodness knows how the latest extreme heat will play into the equation, nor how how it will impact different species, at different altitudes in different ways. Looking forward to returning to both the French and Italian Alps in June 2024, to answer those questions!
David M

Post by David M »

There's precious little we can do about it, Paul. We're stuck with it, and I suspect it will only get worse over the next few years.

I rest in hope that amongst these extremes there may yet be a few springs and summers that are relatively normal.

Return to “Trip Reports”