Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Pauline

Post by Wurzel »

" 'snapshots' or record shots - taken in a hurry at a great distance so massively cropped" still great to see Pauline. :D I often find that the first shots of a species for the season often get consigned to the bin or 'record shot' folder as I'm always excited to see the first for the year :D After that initial one you relax a little and if one bu££ers off before you get a shot it's no biggy :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Intrigued about your remark re the skipper.
Thanks for posting the longhorn beetles by co- incidence I got the FSC fold out guide last week.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline
I think you fly might be Common awl robberfly Neoitamus cyanurus
Kind Regards
Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
millerd

Post by millerd »

That's a Large Skipper, isn't it, Pauline! You can tell by the pointed tips to the antennae (I'm fairly sure Small and Essex have rounded tips?) That's a great (but very sneaky) shot, with nothing of the wings to provide further clues. :)

Lovely female SSB photos too, plus the Ringlet and SWF which I'm yet to see this year. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Spot on Dave tho' it had me fooled for a few seconds. I was excited as I approached with the camera as I had never seen an 'Essex' Skipper in that area. As it happens, I still haven't!!! :lol:

Thanks Mark - that sounds about right as it was trying to break into my conservatory by repeatedly banging against the glass which is what drew my attention to it.

Glad you liked the Longhorns Katrina. I imagine those field study guides are quite handy for taking out and about.

Cheers Wurzel - my problem is time. With only approx 45 mins every shot really does have to count. I'm sure Dave and others will confirm that there are times when I barely even have time to say Hello! :roll: :lol:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

The butterflies remained challenging yesterday with low numbers and the majority of those taking shade high in the trees. I initially focused on other critters and there was a lot of those around including male and female Beautiful Demoiselle:
P1110673ad.jpg
P1110673bd.jpg
P1110723ad.jpg
P1110723bd.jpg
P1110657ad.jpg
Lots of Peacocks around, similar to those I am watching in my garden:
P1110601ad.jpg
At last I managed to catch up with a few butterflies:
P1110710abd.jpg
P1110707ad.jpg
P1110717ad.jpg
P1110693ad.jpg
P1110609ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Pleased to see my first Gatekeeper today :D
P1110815a.jpg
P1110822ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Yesterday I decided I would try to squeeze in another visit to look for WLH. I have been visiting this site for years and as mentioned in an earlier post I always see Essex Skippers here, but probably only about a dozen. I have never, ever seen them in such numbers as I counted yesterday. Not anywhere. Not ever. They were everywhere! Easily into 3 figures :shock: Sometimes as many as 5 on each flower head and on every bit of dead grass. There was mating, much egg-laying and just loads of activity. It was easy to count over 20 from any particular spot and each careful step sent clouds of them flying into the air. I never did get around to looking for the WLH :roll: I hope the following shots convey some idea of what it was like. I could easily have watched them all day.
P1110748ad.jpg
P1110750ad.jpg
P1110755ad.jpg
P1110776ad.jpg
This poor creature looked like it had just emerged but clearly had some problems:
P1110799ad.jpg
P1110763ad.jpg
P1110782ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I decided to put the moth trap out last night - the first time for over a year. It was a mild night with little breeze so I was looking forward to the results whilst hoping I wouldn't get a dozen hornets like last time. I was not disappointed. There were loads of moths, mostly small ones, and probably less species than I expected (and no hornets), but I was very pleased to see a Poplar Hawk-moth:
P1110848ad.jpg
One of my all time favourites, the Buff Tip was also there and in remarkable condition:
P1110827ad.jpg
Silver-y was one I hadn't had in the trap before but it was off before I could get a shot. Likewise a Buff Ermine that seemed to have taken up residence in the duck shed. A couple of moths which I found quite attractive but haven't identified yet:
P1110842ad.jpg
P1110834ad.jpg
....and just one more of that impressive Hawk-moth:
P1110856ad.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Good to see your moth trap out again Pauline. It has picked up a bit here now after a very slow start this year.

Nice Poplar Hawk, I haven't seen one yet this year...fingers crossed.

Your moth on the leaf is a Flame https://www.ukmoths.org.uk/species/axylia-putris/. If you look closely there is a small 'gas flame' on its wing. I still think it should be called the Stick :lol:

The second one is Anania coronata https://ukmoths.org.uk/species/anania-coronata/, officially classed as a micro although this is an arbitrary distinction.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Pauline 8) but I can't keep up with this season :shock: Early spring was anything but and we were all twiddling thumbs and waiting for some proper butterflying and now everything has exploded - Purple Emperors, Gatekeepers, Grayling - kinda great 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for the ID's Neil - appreciated. Saves me having to endure more public humiliation when I get them wrong :wink: :lol: I note from the links you sent that they are described as 'easy' species to identify!

Cheers Wurzel - yes, it's great that more species have emerged but imo numbers of all butterflies so far this year have been well down on the norm with the exception of Meadow Brown, Essex Skipper and WLH. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season pans out.

A couple more 'firsts' for me seen yesterday. I still yearn for that perfect closed wing shot of the DGF but with only 2 butterflies and time limits it just didn't happen for me. Still time tho' :)
P1110892ad.jpg
P1110873ad.jpg
P1110894ad.jpg
P1110881ad.jpg
P1110896ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I decided to have another attempt at getting that perfect DGF shot but I reckon they must be one of the most difficult butterflies to photograph, landing only briefly and mostly behind tall grass stems. Needless to say I shall have to keep trying but that will be no hardship. It is a wonderfully peaceful site with hundreds of Marbled White together with a large number of other species, including Grizzled Skippers which were seen today. All this to the backgound of birds singing, in particular the purring of the Turtle Doves. Can't wait to visit again.
P1110932ad.jpg
P1110931ad.jpg
P1110941ad.jpg
P1110943ad.jpg
P1110940ad.jpg
P1110969ad.jpg
P1110961ad.jpg
P1110973ad.jpg
P1110933ad.jpg
P1110976ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

DGFs are a right pain, almost as bad as Walls :roll: The few times I've had them play ball have been early in the morning or late in the evening, basically when they're having breakfast or supper :wink: Even better is if you can find a freshly emerged individual as then they can sit still for hours :D That first shot is a cracker - love how the white spots have caught the light and given an almost silver sheen 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - pleased you like it but still not the shot I am after. Trust me, I am trying at all times of the day and there are now 3 DGF there so my chances have just increased by 50% :wink: :lol:

The best bits from a couple of brief visits to Alice Holt were bumping into Mike G, Mike J, Mark T and others - good to see you again guys :) Seems like I was the only one there who didn't manage a few shots of the PE being repeatedly told 'you've just missed it by a minute!'. Nevertheless, lots of lovely SWF which I took advantage of and a 'black' admiral (which I haven't seen yet but have been seen there a few years running now I believe). Many of the butterflies were on the ground seeking moisture and minerals (including WA and a couple of lovely fresh Commas) whilst others were seeking shade in the trees. Another very hot weekend forecast!
P1110900ad.jpg
P1110920ad.jpg
P1110902ad.jpg
P1110917ad.jpg
P1110905ad.jpg
P1110924ad.jpg
P1110915ad.jpg
If I hadn't stopped to watch the Comma lay this egg I would have seen the PE!!!! It was incredibly difficult to photograph as it was camouflaged so well and embedded into the nettle. I have mentally marked where it is and shall try to check out the larva idc:
P1110984ad.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

You may not be happy with your DGF images, Pauline (unfairly, in all honesty) but you've done a superb job with those Small Heath which, in my opinion, are far harder!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you David - I am rarely satisfied with my images as you might already know but I was definitely satisfied with this one. Isn't it great when a plan comes together :D :
P1120149ad.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I have been making short but frequent visits to local sites whenever possible, mostly to catch some glimpses of the Purple Emperor. It would make for very dull reading to continually repeat lists of the numerous butterflies seen so I'll just focus on what were the highlights of those visits for me. The first was finding my first, quite lovely, female SWF, but unfortunately she tended to stay at the back of a large bramble patch. Climbing onto a wood pile for a better view turned out to be quite precarious and of course I ended up on my back in a ditch underneath the brambles! Needless to say whilst this was occurring folk were getting nice shots of a PE further along the track! In the circumstances I feel it would be a waste of all that effort if I didn't post at least a few of the shots from that bramble patch, both male and female SWF:
P1120095ad.jpg
P1120074ad.jpg
P1120071ad.jpg
P1120123ad.jpg
P1120110ad.jpg
P1120113ad.jpg
P1120120ad.jpg
P1120135ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely looking Silver-washed Pauline but the twofer is the stand out fave 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm also becoming increasingly envious of your Essex Skippers as after examining several million (well slight exaggeration there :wink: ) Smessex I've still not found an Essex :? :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - I have taken shots of 2 PE together a couple of times now but this is the first time I have captured the PE with another species so I was pleased with that image. Re Essex - the reason you can't find any is because they have all congregated at one particular site in Hampshire! :wink: :lol:

Over the course of a few days I started to get closer to the PE - but only just. Sightings of them gliding around the canopies became gradually more frequent but the ones I saw flying close to the ground were very skittish, touching down only briefly and at a distance - this situation was not helped by a trio of bikers passing at speed and spooking one which was grounded. I have heard folk complain about dog walkers but most of the ones I meet are polite, considerate and patient, frequently putting the dog on a leash and waiting until the shot was taken, or giving me a wide berth. However, I have NEVER, ever, encountered a biker who has slowed down or dismounted and walked round me! More of that later.
P1120067ad.jpg
P1120060ad.jpg
P1120140ad.jpg
I was not the only one who noticed a few extremely large White Admirals around doing quite a respectable impersonation of a PE:
P1120076ad.jpg
Watching a Longhorn Beetle and a Red Admiral lay this egg resulted in me missing ANOTHER grounded PE by a few minutes:
P1120015ad.jpg
P1120083ad.jpg
My first Painted Lady of the season but ....... it clearly wasn't in the mood to pose for a photo and took off immediately:
P1120207ad.jpg
So, the hunt for PE continued ......

Return to “Personal Diaries”