Black Veined Whites?

Discussion forum for sightings.
James M

Re: Black Veined Whites?

Post by James M »

One of the Facebook butterfly groups I’m on has a post showing a BVW in Cheshire! Don’t know if genuine as he hasn’t specified where in Cheshire. If so, yet another release?
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

I am not sufficiently educated on butterflies yet to be able to offer any meaningful comment on the debate about the appearances of the Black Veined White but I am enjoying the conversation about it. The discussion about the possibility of an unauthorised release is educational for me.

Knowing that I like butterflies, someone said to me that they had heard 'a rare butterfly is flying close to me and I should go and see it' - so it is news amongst non butterfly people.
MrSp0ck

Post by MrSp0ck »

There's a photo on Twitter posted by Phillip Lowe on the 26th May of one that was near Portsmouth around that time.
Thanks that seems about it 2 migrants from this year, and our last year one.

doesnt look like a dumper at work again.

Numbers reported on the French and Dutch coast too, ready for the channel crossing, like the swallowtails coming in at present.
Medard

Post by Medard »

Mention of Black veined White on UKB has brought back happy memories.of a visit to la Brenne, Indre, an early morning visit to a paddock neighbouring our campsite I chanced upon a colony of Black veined Whites at roost with the early morning dew on their wings. a favorite species
APR_5398 Black-veined White (Aporia crataegi).jpg

A ground level video of a group of Black veined Whites taking salts, a most uncomfortable position to shoot video!!!
ht
APR_5467 Black-veined White (Aporia crataegi).jpg
tps://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p990780062#hb1f9f0d0
Medard

Post by Medard »

Having touble with my computer this morning !!!

Video of Black veined White https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p79 ... #h616a96df
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

Hi Medard,

You may have been uncomfortable, but you have taken a wonderful video. Thank you for sharing it. Stunning butterflies.

Sarah.
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Very nice video, Jim.

The photos and videos where you need be flat on the ground become more interesting when you realise that the local ants object to your presence and have a very good way of letting you know.

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

Top quality footage, Jim. Take a bow. :mrgreen:
Medard

Post by Medard »

Your comments on the short video of the Black veined White compensated for the discomfort, many thanks.Jim.
More videos on the link below, my favorite video is of the magnificent Apollo, surely the most beautiful Butterfly of the Mountains.

Close Macro video.
The Apollo
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/p10 ... #h6af5cfd6

Return to “Sightings”