millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: millerd

Post by Wurzel »

Crickey Dave those Greenstreaks are only just deserving of their name - they've only just got a streak between them :shock: :lol: And then the female Orange-tip makes up for it by having three times the size of discal spot (slight exaggeration for effect there :wink: ) :shock: 8) The Marshies were out at Battlesbury last Wednesday and there has been a flurry of sightings over the weekend...

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - and thanks for the tip about What's On In Warminster (or nearby anyway... :) ).

On Thursday 4th May, I counted 100 butterflies on my local patch for the first time in 2023. Ten species sent representatives:

Holly Blue 29
Orange Tip 21
Peacock 20
Small White 13
Brimstone 6
Comma 3
Speckled Wood 3
Red Admiral 2
GVW 2
Small Tortoiseshell 1

A selection of the above.
ST1 040523.JPG
RA1 040523.JPG
PK1 040523.JPG
Comma1 040523.JPG
OT1 040523.JPG
HB1 040523.JPG
HB5 040523.JPG
HB4 040523.JPG
HB3 040523.JPG
I managed a quick walk down to Staines Moor, where the Small Copper seen on 30th April was supervising the same patch of ground. Both buttercups and dandelion clocks are irresistible to this species at this time of year.
SC1 040523.JPG
SC2 040523.JPG
A rather worn Small Tortoiseshell made an appearance down here too.
ST1 049523.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

Friday 5th May was warmer and sunnier than the 4th, but curiously I didn't see as many butterflies, nor as much variety. Holly Blues continued to hog all the attention - not much need for subtle whispering when they flaunt themselves so readily.
HB7 050523.JPG
HB5 050523.JPG
HB2 05-523.JPG
HB6 050523.JPG
HB4 050523.JPG
Increasing numbers of females were appearing amongst the Orange Tips, and like every year I relearn their way of flying to (reasonably accurately) distinguish them from other whites at a distance. And every year their ten month absence means I'll forget again... :)
OT2 050523.JPG
OT3 050523.JPG
OT4 050523.JPG
There were still plenty of males flying too.
OT5 050523.JPG
OT1 050523.JPG
One or two other species seen...
SpW1 060623.JPG
SW1 050523.JPG
PK1 050523.JPG
...but notable were seven Red Admirals, including some beautifully new ones - locally emerged?
RA4 050523.JPG
RA3 050523.JPG
The Staines Moor Small Copper was around again today, still on its own with no competition for the buttercups..
SC1 050523.JPG
SC2 050523.JPG
Dave
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Dave. Or should that be Mr. Holly Blue!

Hope you’re making the most of those Orange Tips. They won’t be around much longer...
millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes Mark, I've been indulging in plenty of Orange Tip photos this year - they seem to have been very amenable for some reason. No complaints there! :) After a slow start, the Holly Blues are also doing very well and playing ball nicely. I really can't remember a bad year for them here. :)

6th May didn't produce any suitable weather, but Sunday 7th May (my youngest's 18th birthday - this date has always been blessed with sunshine over the years) was much better. A shorter walk locally did indeed include Orange Tips...
OT1 070523.JPG
OT2 070523.JPG
OT3 070523.JPG
OT5 070523.JPG
OT6 070523.JPG
...plus some nicely posed butterflies displaying their undersides just for a change.
SpW1 070523.JPG
PK1 070523.JPG
RA1 070523.JPG
No Holly Blues? The lack of photos was rectified later on at the end of a visit to a friend at the Packet Boat Marina near Uxbridge, where a slightly wonky female was spotted considering laying - any flower buds will do at this time of year!
HB1 070523.JPG
HB2 070523.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

After another "blank" day off for lousy weather, Tuesday 9th May was marginally better. Only Orange Tips...
OT1 090523.JPG
OT2 090523.JPG
...and Holly Blues appeared in any numbers, but the latter species provided a mating pair - a rarely seen activity round here, though it clearly must happen a lot! :) They were only found because of the interest taken by other males, which led me to them.
HB pair 090523.JPG
A rather nice female GVW rounded things off.
GVW1 090523.JPG
Dave
Last edited by millerd on Thu May 18, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic set of Orange-tips Dave but my favourite from your last set of posts has to be the Small Copper on the Dandelion clock - I would really like one of those in my 'collection' 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"and thanks for the tip about What's On In Warminster"...lots of Marshies seen today - I'm hoping to head over there on Saturday so may see you there :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Blimey Dave! You're getting about a bit, aren't you?????(sightings). No wonder you don't have time to update your diary :) Love that female Adonis and great seeing the Lulworth :mrgreen: .
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - strangely I had a run of butterflies posing on dandelion clocks. I still can't work out the attraction. :)

Thank you, Pauline - I had a short break visiting friends in Somerset and then Devon, so tried to make the most of where I was, and particularly the trips down and back. :)

Wednesday 10th May's forecast was for another fine morning, but clouding over by midday. I decided to pay what has become an annual visit to both sections of Bedfont Lakes Country Park, which is my nearest Green Hairstreak site. As usual I started with the part south of the railway, which is wilder and less-frequented. It was also very soggy in places! However, just inside the inner gate, I immediately found my target species.
GH habitat.JPG
There were two or three darting around this small piece of ground on which they have appeared in several successive seasons.
GH3 100523.JPG
GH2 100523.JPG
One was down on the ground and kept flying low between my feet and crawling in the vegetation where there are trefoil plants. My guess is that it was a female.
GH7 100523.JPG
During a walk around the rest of the park, I spotted a couple of others, including one quite high up of which I surprisingly managed a reasonable shot with the zoom.
GH5 100523.JPG
Other species seen included Peacocks, Brimstones, Specklies, Orange Tips and Holly Blues, but no Small Coppers (which I have seen before here).
OT1 100523.JPG
PK1 100523.JPG
SpW1 100523.JPG
SpW3 100523.JPG
BR1 100523.JPG
I then moved on to the north side of the park (a ten minute drive as the two sections are not connected). There was far less to see here, and no Hairstreaks this year that I could discover. The highlight was a selection of egg-laying Holly Blues, flitting between vetches and dogwood with no clear preference for their offspring.
HB5 100523.JPG
HB4 100523.JPG
HB3 100523.JPG
HB2 100523.JPG
HB1 100523.JPG
I returned home as it clouded over as promised, but late brightness enticed me out locally for the regular evening Red Admirals.
RA1 100523.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

The promised weather for Thursday 11th May looked pretty reasonable, so I headed down to Denbies (partly hopeful that there might possibly be an early Adonis flying). That was not to be, and in retrospect was a bit optimistic.

Overall, the day initially belonged to the Dingy Skippers, with good numbers of fresh examples about. They posed well too, with lots of perching behaviour.
DS2 110523.JPG
DS4 110523.JPG
DS5 110523.JPG
DS6 110523.JPG
DS7 110523.JPG
DS3 110523.JPG
There were also two year firsts for me today - Small Heath...
SH1 110523.JPG
SH2 110523.JPG
...and Brown Argus.
BA1 110523.JPG
BA2 110522.JPG
BA3 110523.JPG
Also seen were a few Green Hairstreaks, including this egg-laying female...
GH1 110523.JPG
...a rather fine Speckled Wood...
SpW1 110523.JPG
...and a Large White.
LW1 110523.JPG
There were Brimstones and Peacocks, plus a rather worn Small Copper that nevertheless was too active to be photographed. Aside from one or two Hollies, there were no other blues yet.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant Greenstreaks Dave 8) :mrgreen: And more cracking photos of the OTs - they're having a pretty good year it seems :D Looking forward to your Western reports :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

Cheers, Wurzel - it's good to find my nearly local Greenstreaks are persisting nicely year after year, even though they are never numerous. Orange Tips, despite being a bit late arriving, are also doing pretty well round here. I imagine they were all safely tucked up in their chrysalids when the heat struck last year, and they are able to wait until things are suitable in the spring before they emerge.

There have been quite a few days this spring when sunshine first thing didn't persist beyond lunchtime, but butterflies were able to utilise the sunny morning. On Friday 12th May, it looked as if it was going to be one of those days. However, one scant hour of sun is all there was and the 14 degrees early on was the high point of the day. Like me, the local Holly Blues near home had clearly thought the sun would last longer, and had all crept out from where they hide at night and were sitting hopefully waiting for an improvement. Consequently I managed to count 15 little silver triangles - but saw hardly any other butterflies at all. When I returned from my walk, the cool cloudiness had caused them to disappear again in disgust. Here are a few of them...
HB1 120523.JPG
HB2 120523.JPG
HB3 120523.JPG
HB4 120523.JPG
HB5 120523.JPG
HB6 120523.JPG
One of the other butterflies seen was a female Orange Tip, caught reacting to a brief burst of sunshine.
OT2 120523.JPG
The only other point of interest was a Brimstone egg on the single easily accessible bit of buckthorn along my walk.
BR egg 120523.JPG
Dave
millerd

Post by millerd »

With a day of (rather windy) sunshine forecast, on Saturday 13th May I headed for Rewell Wood in Sussex. I parked at Fairmile Bottom and traversed a large part of the slope up to the gate at the bottom of the steep climb to the wood. It was very windy and despite the sun I saw no butterflies down here.

Once in the wood and among the various familiar rides, deciding where to look for the target Pearl-bordered Fritillaries was the conundrum. The coppicing cycle here means that each year makes the place look different from the last, and the trick is in judging which compartment is "just right" for fritillary activity.

During a long period of fruitless searching (along with one or two others similarly disappointed) I came across a small colony of Small Coppers.
SC2 130523.JPG
SC1 130523.JPG
A Painted Lady caused momentary excitement too.
PL1 130523.JPG
However, branching out on my own along one of the rides, I disturbed another orange butterfly and found myself following a PBF at fast walking pace. Thank goodness for the wind and the relatively low air temperature, as the butterfly periodically stopped to rest and warm up, allowing me to catch it up and manage a few shots.
PBF1 130523.JPG
PBF2 130523.JPG
PBF3 130523.JPG
PBF4 130523.JPG
PBF5 130523.JPG
With this modicum of success under my belt, I decided a gentle stroll back was in order, taking in a few sallies into some of the other compartments along the way. During this, I came across Bugboy just arriving, and after a bit of chat I set off searching once more (good to catch up, Paul :) ). I did then find another four or five PBF, none of which stopped for a moment, and (predictably, really :) ) nearly trod on a puddling male Holly Blue.
HB1 130523.JPG
My crossing of Fairmile Bottom (into the wind this time) was no more productive, with just a few Brimstones flying and nothing else.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Long May days do mean that stopping somewhere on the way home is entirely feasible, and one of the "prettier" ways back to Heathrow is via Chiddingfold. Wood Whites beckoned!

Despite walking from the Botany Bay entrance right over to Oaken Wood and back, though, I found just the one - and that was within a few metres of the car.
WW1 130523.JPG
WW2 130523.JPG
However, the walk was worthwhile as I bumped into Bob and Lisa and was shown the extraordinary shots of the female SWF they had just seen. Nearly three months adrift of its normal season, I feel sure this had to be a release as no other scenario makes any sense. Good to see you both and catch up too. :)

Other butterflies seen included quite a few Brimstones, a Red Admiral, a Speckled Wood and a nice female GVW.
GVW1 130623.JPG
There was also a female Holly Blue that teased me briefly before making for the trees.

The other noteworthy part of the visit was coming across an adder basking on the path near Oaken Wood. It saw me just after I'd spotted it and set off beautifully sinuously (though not all that quickly) into the grass on the verge. This gave me just long enough to wield the camera from a bit of a distance and capture its departure for posterity.
adder1 130523.JPG
adder2 130523.JPG
A very worthwhile day showing that numbers aren't everything (though they are of course worrying looking at a broader perspective... :( ).

Dave
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

An enjoyable narrative (did quite a bit of catching up over a few pages) and wonderful photos Dave. Lots of Holly Blues ! I was particularly taken with the 'Staines Moor Small Copper'. There is something rather charming and heart warming about encountering an old stalwart in situ. One can go about one's life and return days later to still find a Comma, a Peacock or a Small Copper still there looking after its territory.

You remind me with the adder photo. Is this the year when I see a snake? I think that 55 years (my whole cowin' life) is long enough to wait. I have never seen a snake, apart from those zoo characters.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

You're just one post ahead of me at the moment, that days event will be my next post. I suspect we found the same colony of Small Coppers :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Otep wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:35 pm An enjoyable narrative (did quite a bit of catching up over a few pages) and wonderful photos Dave. Lots of Holly Blues ! I was particularly taken with the 'Staines Moor Small Copper'. There is something rather charming and heart warming about encountering an old stalwart in situ. One can go about one's life and return days later to still find a Comma, a Peacock or a Small Copper still there looking after its territory.

You remind me with the adder photo. Is this the year when I see a snake? I think that 55 years (my whole cowin' life) is long enough to wait. I have never seen a snake, apart from those zoo characters.
Thank you, Otep - good to see you back again, and I'm glad you've been enjoying what I've been posting. You are absolutely right - it is entirely possible to get quite attached to individual butterflies, especially to Small Coppers. On two occasions I've followed an identifiable individual for around six weeks as it very gradually became more and more worn from brilliant shining deep orange with prominent blue spots to near transparency. I had no idea they had such a long life! With a continuous photographic record of both butterflies, there could be no doubt as to their longevity. At the end it was genuinely sad to go out to the territory one day (just a handful of square metres) and find it unoccupied.

Yes, lots of Holly Blues! There will be more to come too, as they are such a feature of my local patch and are fascinating to watch - as well as making for attractive photographs.
bugboy wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:42 pm You're just one post ahead of me at the moment, that days event will be my next post. I suspect we found the same colony of Small Coppers :)
That's pretty likely, Paul - there wasn't much else flying that day... :)

Sunday 14th May was much warmer (up to 22 degrees locally) and there was some decent sunshine too. After a morning outing (more on that later), I stayed local today and found around 80 butterflies of ten species, including a new one for the year here: a bright fresh Small Copper.
SC3 140523.JPG
SC4 140523.JPG
SC5 140523.JPG
Today, the female Hollies were out and about laying...
HB4 140523.JPG
HB7 140523.JPG
HB6 140523.JPG
HB5 140523.JPG
...while the males were playing in the puddles.
HB3 140523.JPG
Orange Tips were also laying - this is one of the less usual plants on which I've found eggs.
OT egg 140523.JPG
OT egg cu 140523.JPG
Both sexes posed well today.
OT1 140523.JPG
OT4 140523.JPG
I also spotted my first Commas for ten days - there really haven't been many emerging from hibernation this year...
Comma1 140523.JPG
Comma2 140523.JPG
...in contrast to the Peacocks, which have done pretty well and continue to appear looking surprisingly good for their age.
PK2 140523.JPG
To finish with, a Red Admiral looking down on it all in typical fashion. This one is clearly displaying its forelegs (useless for walking) which give Nymphalid butterflies one of their nicknames - "brush-footed".
RA1 140523.JPG
Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

Lovely vivid Small Copper, about as fresh as they get!
Also Holly Blues are showing well around here, along the Cuckoo Trail,
and at home. I just wish they were as tame as yours.

Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That first egg laying Holly Blue looks like it's on Common Vetch which I don't think I've seen listed as s foodplant anywhere!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant set of Wood White shots Dave :mrgreen: They're on the 'hit list' this year but whether I can get them may take some careful negotiation :wink: Those Small Copper are great - each one differently marked :D
It was great catching up today - we'll have to do it again soon 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Chris L

Post by Chris L »

trevor wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:09 am Lovely vivid Small Copper, about as fresh as they get!
Indeed, a wonderful vivid colour and great photos.

I have noticed this about our Wolves kit wearing friends. They are either bright orange for me or quite a comparatively dull orange. Do they fade quickly, or are they born different shades? Or are there sub species?

Return to “Personal Diaries”