Greenwings: Central & Northern Spain, 22-29 April 2023

David M

Re: Greenwings: Central & Northern Spain, 22-29 April 2023

Post by David M »

essexbuzzard wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:43 pmThat’s a glorious image of the Camberwell Beauty! What a well behaved adult.
Thanks, Mark. I've never known one so co-operative.
David M

Post by David M »

Riodinidae

Dukes turned up at one site in both Montes and the Pyrenees:
3.DoB(1).jpg
12. Duke of Burgundy
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:41 pmThat baeticus is on its hostplant, Marrubium vulgare, which I think you get on parts of Gower.
We get the plant, but sadly not the butterfly, Chris.
David M

Post by David M »

Lycaenidae - Coppers and Hairstreaks

Not too many from these groups given the time of year. Green Hairstreaks & Small Coppers were regular companions at many sites, whilst one of the guests, Paul S, saw Sooty Copper (as opposed to bleusi) in the Pyrenees on the last full day, although I didn't find any so will not include it on the list.

13. Small Copper
14. Iberian Sooty Copper
15. Green Hairstreak
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Great stuff so far, David! Amazingly, I'm still yet to see panoptes. I searched near Málaga in early April and only found abencerragus, and in my Spanish Pyrenees hotspots (in the Val d'Aran) it is all baton. I'll keep looking! I love your sooty orange tip - another species I'm yet to see.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else the heatwave brought out for you - and which species' seasons it led to an early close.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Guy. I think abencerragus must emerge before panoptes, as the only ones we saw during the second leg of the trip in Andalusia were fairly worn.

That second week also produced several surprises due to the advanced season.
David M

Post by David M »

Lycaenidae - Blues

Amongst this group, the most welcome find was Chequered Blue:
3.orion(1).jpg
Black-Eyed Blue turned up occasionally:
3.BeB(1).jpg
In the Pyrenees, Baton Blue was around in reasonable numbers - here are a couple in the company of a Small Blue:
3.baton(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Lycaenidae - Blues

16. Long-Tailed Blue
17. Small Blue
18. Green-Underside Blue
19. Black-Eyed Blue
20. Holly Blue
21. Baton Blue
22. Panoptes Blue
23. Chequered Blue
24. Southern Brown Argus
25. Brown Argus
26. Chapman's Blue
27. Common Blue
28. Turquoise Blue
29. Adonis Blue
David M

Post by David M »

Pieridae

Given the time of year, this group was unsurprisingly well represented. Apart from Spanish Greenish Black Tip, all those expected were seen and often in good numbers.

The only disappointment was the scanty numbers of Western Dappled White, only one of which was seen in the Montes leg, and very few in the Pyrenees:
3.WdW(1).jpg
Cleopatras were only seen sparingly too:
3.Cleopatra(1).jpg
30. Wood White
31. Large White
32. Small White
33. Green Veined White
34. Western Dappled White
35. Orange Tip
36. Provence Orange Tip
37. Sooty Orange Tip
38. Bath White
39. Clouded Yellow
40. Berger's Clouded Yellow
41. Brimstone
42. Cleopatra
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Satyrids

The biggest surprise was finding early emerging De Prunner's Ringlets at one site in Montes, although no Spanish Gatekeepers were recorded in spite of the advanced season:
3.DPR(1).jpg
43. Speckled Wood
44. Wall Brown
45. Large Wall Brown
46. Small Heath
47. Western Marbled White
48. Spring Ringlet
49. De Prunner's Ringlet
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Fritillaries

Sadly, we didn't see Spanish Fritillary at the site we found it at last year. We only had one cloudy afternoon and that coincided with our visit to this place.

Spotted Fritillary was found at Los Monegros which is very early, but surprisingly only one Pearl Bordered Fritillary was seen in the Pyrenees - I fancied there'd be quite a few around.

50. Queen of Spain Fritillary
51. Pearl Bordered Fritillary
52. Weaver's Fritillary
53. Knapweed Fritillary
54. Provençal Fritillary
55. Glanville Fritillary
56. Spotted Fritillary
David M

Post by David M »

Nymphalidae - Aristocrats

A decent range seen, but I was a little disappointed not to pick up late Nettle Tree or early Southern White Admiral.

57. Red Admiral
58. Painted Lady
59. Peacock
60. Small Tortoiseshell
61. Comma
62. Large Tortoiseshell
63. Camberwell Beauty
David M

Post by David M »

Summary

63 species in late April was an excellent return (the group total was 64 including the Sooty Copper). The early season gave rise to a few surprises and apart from Spanish Greenish Black Tip and Spanish Fritillary, none of the main targets failed to be recorded.

The contrast between the area around Albarracin and the foothills of the Pyrenees was notable, with the drier areas in Montes Universales giving way to verdant green fields further north. It's no wonder that the demarcation point of so many butterfly species is somewhere in between.

The hotel in Berdun was beautiful and it helped that the owner has a moth-trapping licence. On the final morning one of these traps had attracted Europe's largest moth, the Giant Peacock, which was absolutely colossal, although there were other interesting species besides this caught overnight:
3.GPM(1).jpg
3.moths(1).jpg
Having now explored these areas in both the warmest and coolest late Aprils, I look forward to possibly doing likewise next year in more normal conditions.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

A great report as ever David. I thoroughly enjoyed sharing the experience with the group of other enthusiasts on the trip, and of course yourself and Jon Dunn, our guides.

Highlight of the week for me was the Sooty Orange Tip, in particular the chase around the field!
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Paul. Was a bit of a marathon for you and I with us doing both tours but yes, that Sooty Orange Tip turning up and having us all running around a farmer's field will prove to be an enduring memory. :D
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

DSC03230.jpeg
By the 5th May , David , this was the only Spring Ringlet I saw. However , it was more than compensated for by the 30+ De Prunner’s Ringlet around the water troughs at Moscardon
David M

Post by David M »

Andy02 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:04 amBy the 5th May , David , this was the only Spring Ringlet I saw. However , it was more than compensated for by the 30+ De Prunner’s Ringlet around the water troughs at Moscardon
I'd say you were extremely fortunate to even see that one, Andy. They were on their last legs when we last saw them on 24th April, so for one to still be about on 5th May is remarkable!
BarrieS

Post by BarrieS »

A great report David, on what must have been an excellent trip, which shows the work you put in last year in preparation certainly paid dividends for your group.I was wondering whether bazae might be present in Los Monegros in more 'normal' years, or is the trip timed slightly too late for them? I'm hoping to join one of these trips with you next year and the decision as to which will no doubt be very difficult.
Having birded the two more northern areas you explored I would imagine that some interesting and scarce species may have been seen. What were the highlights?
The Giant Peacock Moth is a mighty beast and there appears to be some other goodies in your selection - one of the advantages of the accommodation you used at Berdum.
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the Southern Spain write up.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Barrie. Bazae ought to still be around in late April (it certainly was last year), but clearly the combined effects of the very hit spring and the lack of rain finished it off prior to our arrival this time.

It's hard to know what 'normal' is anymore, so we'll persevere with these dates in 2024 and see what happens. If you bring things forward too much you risk losing other species.

It's quite a delicate balancing act.

Return to “Trip Reports”