Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Wurzel

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice complementary colours in those Small Copper shots Wurzel :D :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D Sometimes butterflies do you a massive favour and just land in exactly the right place :D 8) :lol:

The Journey home…26-08-2022

We took a slightly different and much more scenic route home, dawdling our way from North Wales back across the border and down into the Midlands. On the way we made a few stops –the first was at Habberley Vally (which I always pronounce as ‘Hubb-a-lah, Hubb-a-lah’) which is where my wife used to visit as a small child and once we’d actually located it we climbed up to the top of the steep sandstone cliff and looked around the valley. Next it was the area of Kidderminster that she used to live in; primary school, local park, local shop where they’d buy penny sweets, her old house and ‘Death Valley’ so called as they once found a sheep skull there! The final stop was for lunch and was a really interesting National Trust site (Kinver Edge) where people had carved dwellings into the sandstone. There were a few whites here and the odd Specklie but to be honest I was more taken by the stunning architecture!
25-08-2022 20.JPG
25-08-2022 21.JPG
25-08-2022 22.jpg
After this is was hit the M5 and then the A419 eventually making it back to Salisbury in time for tea…and so ended the trip proper!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

You've had some great travels Wurzel, I'd really fancy looking into that cottage to see what it was like inside :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D We did enjoy our Stay-cation last year :wink: You could go inside a few of those cottages and that one in the shot had two rooms in it with a little wood stove and tiny butler sink :D The larger ones they'd converted into the obligatory National Trust second hand book shop and tea rooms :roll: :lol:

I finally got there, in the correct year! And only 2 months behind schedule - check me out :lol: :lol:

Wales in the Half Term (February 2023)

It was getting to that time of the year. When leaves being tossed about by the breeze need to be checked out, when the pulse quickens on the rare days when the sun shines through the gloom and when my camera is carried wherever I go. However it was also getting to that time of the year when we pack up and head to the Outlaws in West Wales – so when I looked at the long range forecast I wasn’t surprised to see that Salisbury was forecast sunny and relatively warm days – this was a prime example of the Law of Sod. So come Saturday we dropped the cat off at his Hotel and headed West accompanied by the rain clouds which opened slightly as we crossed the bridge. I’d brought my camera anyway…

On the first proper day we took a quick trip down to Aberaeron to have a look at the sea and gaze at the lines of pastel painted picture postcard houses. Despite the sun shining down it was still cold and the breeze tried its best to cut through our coats so our hats and gloves were very welcome. As we started back a Grey Wagtail and then a Dipper both flew up river and s escaped my lens. However an odd looking Mandarin caught my eye. The orange ‘sails’ were missing as were the orange cheeks but all the rest seemed present and correct so it could have been a partial leucistic individual. Once we got back and were sorting out some bits and bobs for my Outlaws I spotted my first butterfly of the year – a Red Admiral – which flew across the cul-de-sac and up and over one of the neighbouring bungalows.
13-02-2023 1.JPG
I didn’t think much more about it until the following afternoon when I was helping move some furniture out of their Summer House when the same or another Red Admiral flew up from its basking spot on the side house. It went up and along the roof of the bungalow before disappearing down the side path. Once the furniture was in I grabbed my camera and made my way out to the cul-de-sac. Scanning about I couldn’t believe my look when I spotted a dark triangle clinging as flat as could be to the side of a bungalow. Unfortunately it was on the other side of the front garden and out of reach of my lens. However luck struck again and as I stared longingly at the just out of reach butterfly I caught sight of the owner through the gate. So I called through and explained who I was and asked if I could use their path to get a few shots? They were more than happy for me to and so thanking them profusely I nipped round the corner and managed a few shots before the butterfly took to the wing.
13-02-2023 2.JPG
A little later while waiting for the Outlaws to get ready for a walk/push up the Lane I spotted the/another Red Admiral again. This time it was on the neighbours garage wall and as they were out I crossed the drive and got some even closer shots.
13-02-2023 3.JPG
13-02-2023 4.JPG
After this I carried the camera with me as I pushed my Mother Outlaw in her wheelchair but there were no more butterflies around but some interesting ‘double’ Snowdrops caught my eye instead. The following day a visit to Aberystwyth was planned so I crossed my fingers for more of the same luck wise!
13-02-2023 5.JPG
13-02-2023 6.JPG
A Red Admiral
Flew across the cul-de-sac
On to my Year List

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

That first butterfly of the year is always a good moment, Wurzel. Still, you'll catch up in no time as after that February flurry of fluttering, it all went quiet until the end of March: two months in arrears will become one month in no time at all! :)

Cheers,

Dave
trevor

Post by trevor »

As Dave intimates there's no excuse for not keeping up this year!
It's been so slow around here that every butterfly sighting turns into an occasion.
Of course if it really warms up soon, and they all come at once, that could throw a spanner in the works for you. :lol:
Great to see your early Red Admiral and the Snowdrops, many of those I've seen growing wild in Wilts have been doubles.

They're threatening a warmer weekend!
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave :D Yep what is going on this year? So few 'good butterfly' days and then when teh weathers okay things haven't emerged as early as they have before OR if they have there are such low numbers :? It's all been very worrying :(
Cheers Trevor :D I might remain a little behind with my PD as I've been plugging away at the Corfu sightings - over 2500 shots to sort through :shock: 8) The threatened warmer weather came yesterday when it should't have and then not at all today when it should - I can't keep up with the terrible forecasts! :roll:

Middle Street 19-02-2023

As the temperature had risen to above 10 and as the sun was shining I decided that even though I was still only mid-February it would be worth a look in at Middle Street. Even though I drove over I forewent the usual accompanying music of Maiden so as I strode through the gate instead of the usual ringing in my ears I could hear the plinking of the cooling engine and ‘cooing’ from some of the local Wood Pigeons. I walked across the middle path scanning to ‘the end’ on my left and the edge of the football pitch to my right with no luck. This continued when I reached the Bank path and examined first the End and then Dip3 and Dip2. All was quiet and only the odd yellow Celandine or smattering of white Daisies broke the depressing monotony of greys, browns and dull greens of the ‘winter growth’.

As I was checking the side of the Bank Path on my way to Dip1 there was a flash of colour so different from what I’d seen so far that it almost hurt my eyes. It was a Small Tort sunning itself. I tried for a few shots but I was a little rusty so it moved on, luckily not too far on so I pressed my luck a second time. I sometimes find myself wondering if these gorgeous butterflies are our reward for surviving the gloom and drear of winter?
19-02-2023 1.JPG
19-02-2023 2.JPG
Once I stood back and marvelled at it, drinking in the colours, it seemed to get a little subconscious so up and away it went. As it flew along the brim of Dip2 another Small Tort intercepted it and they locked together in a bitter dispute, spiralling upwards into the heavens. At the point when they were only just visible they broke apart and drifted down separately. One came back to down to the Bank only slightly further on whilst the other returned to Dip2. I choose to try for this one and got lucky as it appeared to be the second individual and then back in Dip 1 the first Small Tort became much more amenable and so too did the second. It was almost as if they were egging each other on locked in a battle of one-up-man ship.
19-02-2023 3.JPG
19-02-2023 4.JPG
19-02-2023 5.JPG
19-02-2023 6.JPG
19-02-2023 6.JPG
19-02-2023 6.JPG
19-02-2023 7.JPG
Shots in the can I carried on round to the old Hotspot which was pretty overgrown with the dried up pond now impenetrable unless I buy a Bill Hook with me and further on I went round past the reed beds. The Reed Buntings were flitting about and the tinkling calls of Goldfinches were lent some percussive beats as a Cetti’s ripped the air asunder with tis staccato syncopation. I’d ended up back at the Bank after a fruitless trawl though Dip1 and the/a Small Tort was still flitting about along its length. As I strode down into Dip2 there was a flash of vivid lemon and so I added my third species to the yearly Tally. I watched as it fluttered tantalisingly over some Primroses but it was just flattering to deceive as it swiftly crossed the river! During its flight I’d tried for some of the usual ‘First Brimstone shots of the year’ and this came out as the usual blurry yellow blobs taken in Sports mode from too far away. Still at least I’d seen one.
19-02-2023 8.JPG
I caught up with another (or possibly the same one) a little later at the End. Here it actually went down a couple of times so I was able to get a few closer ‘grab shots’ but really what it wanted to do was frustrate me. To this end if flew to the boundary hedge where it would pop up from the neighbours side, make as if to land before disappearing back to the other side safe on private property.
19-02-2023 9.JPG
Giving up and leaving it to its malarkey I left the confines of Middle Street and moved onto the corner of Upper Street. The little patch of green here has always been good – often offering the same set of butterflies as the reserve only in a microcosm. So it proved today with a Small Tort sitting on the bank. I got my dose of shots just in time as some passing cyclists sent it packing never to return. Chuffed I strolled back to the car – it seemed that the season was underway but whether it would keep going remained to be seen. The danger of a ‘second winter’ is always possible and when it comes to the weather who can really tell what’s going to happen – certainly not the weather people ;-). For now the three species would suffice and I returned to waiting patiently, camera at the ready…
19-02-2023 11.JPG
Cool February
With Torts and Lemon yellow
Delightful to see

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

May 2023

Happy May!The month when things should get going, although looking at the long range weather you'd be forgiven for thinking that we're just entering April :? :roll:
05 May 23.jpg
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Middle Street 18-03-2023

I took advantage of a break in the cloud to head over to Middle Street to see how things were progressing. This was actually take two’ as I’d gotten ready to leave earlier in the morning only to step outside as the cloud rolled over the sun and the temperature seemed to plummet. This time I walked over and managed to time it perfectly for as the final edge of the cloud cover slipped away and the sun came on strong I stepped across the threshold of the reserve. I cut straight across to the Bank Path and worked from Dip 1 to the end without seeing a single butterfly. Perhaps I needed to have wait slightly longer, perhaps I’d not timed it too perfection but at the end a brace of Brimstones flashed by reassuring me. It seemed that in the weak spring sun the butterflies needed a little time to warm up once the sun had put his hat on.

I worked back and the sun really came on strong and with it came a Small Tort which appeared on the Bank path between Dip 1 and 2 but unfortunately it didn’t hang about. I don’t know what’s up this year but all the butterflies seem very twitchy – perhaps after the later start to the season compared to the previous few years they’ve all emerged on fast forward to ensure that in the fleeting glimpses of the sun they can meet their Biological imperative? I carried on despite the glancing shots of the Small Tort and walked down into Dip 1. As I bushed various old dead grasses aside I spotted a Red Admiral. I watched it sweep from one side of the Dip to the other and back again and then it went down as the sun was swallowed by the next bank of cloud. A stalwart Brimstone somehow managed to keep flying but the Admiral was grounded which I couldn’t work out as surely the dark ground colour of the Admiral would have absorbed more heat than the bright and light colour of the Brimstone? I mused on this among other things while I waited with the Admiral and took various shots including some time playing about with my settings. As I sorted out the melted chocolate in my pocket I glanced down for a second and when I looked back up and it was gone!
18-03-2023 1.JPG
18-03-2023 2.JPG
18-03-2023 3.JPG
18-03-2023 4.JPG
18-03-2023 5.JPG
18-03-2023 6.JPG
Still smarting from this rude departure I made my way to the other end of the reserve and the Dried Pond Hotspot which was still not living up to its name. I settled myself down at the edge and waited. Sure enough almost as if on cue a Comma appeared, it flew towards me and did a flip before pausing on the reeds which allowed me to get a few grab/record shots. It went and then came back again as yet another brace of Brimstones passed over the pond before finally disappearing up and over into the neighbouring garden. As I climbed back out, extricating myself from the Brambles which had woven themselves around my feet, there were three Brimstones all flying in view over the small field as I left the Pond. After this I took one of the smaller paths back to the start of the Bank path and as I scanned down to the actual pond (the large one where the Polish Anglers try their luck) a female Brimstone flew by and goes to ground. With a little careful stalking, remembering to give it time to settle I was able to get a few shots some of which were quite close in.
18-03-2023 7.JPG
18-03-2023 8.JPG
I then set to work proper as it were, scanning and checking all of the usual spots. As I worked back along the Bank Path a Small Tort disappeared past me and as I continued on I added 2 more ale Brimstones as well as a female to the tally before turning around. Poor old Dip 3 is having a terrible run of form with nowt again but in Dip 2 a Small Tort sat for a few shots before I turned my attentions to a Comma. It didn’t like the attention so I returned my focus to the Small Tort which evidently did like all the fuss as it posed so nicely for me in a variety of settings. Finally I dove down from the Bank Path into Dip1 where there were two Commas. It was easy to determine that there were definitely two individuals as they had the decency to sit adjacent to each other in the same shot. Once I’d got a few shots of the more ragged individual I moved onto the fresher looking specimen. This one in particular sat in a very nice way, near the top of a stem of dead grass where it stood out like a ginger jewel against the dull grey/brown background of early spring.
18-03-2023 9.JPG
18-03-2023 10.JPG
18-03-2023 11.JPG
18-03-2023 12.JPG
18-03-2023 13.JPG
18-03-2023 14.JPG
18-03-2023 15.JPG
Then my time drew nigh as the cloud returned and so I beat a retreat and headed for home. As usual the sun reappeared when I’m almost back and there are Brimstones flying about all over the place and all out of reach of my lens. I was almost back when finally I saw a Peacock. It was basking on a drive way in Harcourt Ave but it was too quick for my lens and was gone just leaving a blur of burgundy and charcoal on my retina. As I crossed the threshold I was left wondering if this is actually the start of the season proper or would we have a fitful, in with a whimper in dribs and drabs spring?
A bit more like it
The first ‘5 species’ visit
But still early doors?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Nice shots of the Torts Wurzel, I used to see them first every year, I miss that, it's been so slow this Spring.
I enjoyed the May calendar , Lovely :D Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

That really is a great haul for March 2023! Nothing like that around here at that time.
But we do seem to have lift off now, with a couple of exceptions.

Great stuff!
Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D They are tough ole geezers the Small Torts but his season has been so fitful it's been tough for them :?
Cheers Trevor :D We seem to have one or two great/good days sandwiched in between far too many dismal ones :? Blooming Jet Stream :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Five Rivers 25-03-2023

The phrase “I don’t know why I went but I did anyway” to my mind sounds like it could be the opening lines of a Jane Austen novel and it perfectly summed up this trip. The weather wasn’t great what with limited amounts of sun peeking out from behind the cloud which ran all the way to the horizon (and possibly beyond), the temperature was struggling to get into double digits and there was the feeling of early February about the day. Yet still I went out, camera in hand, begging the weather Gods to smile favourably on me such has been the poor nature of the start to the season. Some might even have questioned whether it had begun but with April in sight it certainly felt like there should be butterflies about. As I was off the only question was where too?

In the end I settled for Five Rivers and within a few minutes I was there, parked and pulling on my fleece jacket (a fleece jacket whilst butterflying – what is the world coming too!). As I strolled down the Riverside path there was just a fleeting glimpse of sun and with it a fleeting glimpse of a Brimstone fluttering about where the autumnal Red Admirals like to hang despite the coolness of the air. Some of the early hibernators must be have been getting desperate by now so that even the vaguest of hints of the sun donning its cap would have been enough to bring them forth. The sun somehow managed to hold the cloud back a little longer but my journey though the Glades was fruitless. As I made my way across to the bank opposite the football pitches I risked a quick look up at the heavens. It wasn’t looking good so I averted my gaze and peered more meaningfully at the foliage. Here was a Comma, at least it was there for just long enough to make an identification because at that exact point three things happened; the butterfly took off, the sun went in and then the butterfly disappeared deep into the massive mass of Bramble! Cursing I retreated to the Banks where a Brimstone had obviously been caught out by the sudden arrival and then departure of the sun for it was still flying, albeit weakly, along the Banks. It must have finally used all of its remaining fuel reserves as it plunged into a bramble bush sapped of all strength. I peered into the plant I sure enough there was an oddly coloured leaf so I clicked away.
25-03-2023 1.JPG
I found with a bit of careful foot snaking and with the adoption of some surreal Kung Fu stances I was able to get some closer and more side-on shots. It appeared not to like its sanctuary too much as even the slightest sliver of sun showing through the clouds saw it try to take to the air. It would then realise its mistake and plummet down into the vegetation before crawling up a handy stem to try and absorb some, any, heat. I even offered it my finger at one point and the warmth that it offered enticed the butterfly to crawl and then cling onto my digit. This left me in somewhat of quandary what to do with it and so I then knelt down and placed it back in the Bramble but at the edge rather than deep in the centre. This seemed a likely looking spot; close enough to the edge so it could get the warming rays of the sun should they ever return but also in enough cover so that it wouldn’t get picked off by the passing passerines.
25-03-2023 2.JPG
25-03-2023 3.JPG
25-03-2023 4.JPG
25-03-2023 5.JPG
25-03-2023 6.JPG
With my charge safely stowed away I set to walking the length and breadth of the Reserve…well to the far end of the Banks. Occasionally I would look up but the cloud was still holding the sun back. So much so in fact that I felt a little like Nosferatu as I cast no shadow. In the end I made three round trips along the Banks and back. Each time I checked in on the Brimstone and it was still in place but unfortunately it remained the only butterfly that I’d photographed. In the end I decided to head for home and then a Comma appeared as if from nowhere at the old Comma Corner. It sat for a few shots and then ‘did one’ in the vernacular. I took this to be my cue to leave and so I returned home with only a meagre four butterflies seen of two species, quite a dismal tally for this time of year.
25-03-2023 7.JPG
Why did I bother?
Only four butterflies seen
A shocking total!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I think a few of us have had days like that this year Wurzel, especially so during March and most of April. Things seem to be looking up a bit now but there is no doubt this had been a poor spring for most species.

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Poor Spring for me up to now Wurzel, when I look at all the Posts I wonder why I'm not seeing half the Butterflies I should be seeing , it's not for the want of trying either. I'll press on regardless any way :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Neil :D It's been fitful and just when you think things are setting the Jet Stream brings in a rash of Low pressure systems :roll: Still the water is much needed and the lush growth is good fodder for caterpillars :D
Cheers Goldie :D All you can do it keep on keeping on Goldie, fingers crossed for a settled end to May :)

Five Rivers 10-04-2023
Well this was back to British Butterflying with a bit of a bump! From the wildflowers clinging to the terraces of Olive groves or the side of the mountain in Corfu to the precipitous Banks at Five Rivers! From Eastern Orange-tips, Cleopatras and Eastern Dappled Whites to Small Whites and Peacocks…well that’s what I was hoping for anyway. As I’d been away in Corfu during the period of the best weather so far in 2023 I felt like I was a little behind in my British sightings. Normally at this stage of the year I’d have my fill of Small Torts and Peacocks but this year March had been miserable and so I had only a few sightings of the former and a single sighting of the latter.

With the sun shining I made my way over the Five Rivers by car so as to arrive before the cloud. I strolled down along the river side path and through the Glades all the while keeping an eye out for Whites with no success. Comma Corner was very quiet at first but then I spotted a Small White fluttering weakly across the top of the huge mound of Bramble. Down along the bank that runs parallel to the football pitches a second White took off but despite making as if to land several times instead it buggered off up and over the top of the small copse. Still two sightings of Small White made a nice addition to the year list.

As I worked back around and up the cloud started to gather so I made haste down the newly denuded bank towards the original Comma Corner. A butterfly took off and glided down, along the path and then back up landing within only a few feet from where it had flown. It was a Comma and so I grabbed a few shots as it perched down on the deck and the clouds gained momentum darkening the sky all the while. The trip along the Banks was pretty futile although I did spook a Peacock and by the time I reached the other end and rounded the corner the spitting rain had worked itself up into more of a downpour. Hence I retreated into the relative shelter of the copse, leant up against a tree, hunched over, closed my eyes and dreamt of Nettle-tree Butterflies and Southern Festoons while I waited for the shower to pass over.
10-04-2023 1.JPG
Half an hour later I was strolling back along the Banks, boots getting soaked and a crick forming in my neck from constantly craning upwards to check the progress of the clouds. As I neared the final stretch towards the original Comma Corner (I’ll change the name of this later as you’ll see) the sun seemed to hit peak intensity and with this the butterflies appeared. A Peacock went up, swiftly followed by a Small Tort which upset a Comma which in turn harried and hassled a Specklie – my first of the year. I waited by the little Bramble bush for it to return and so it did for a few grab shots before it set off after the Comma. I seem to recall that I’ve found Specklies at this same point for nigh on7 years on the trot now and hence what was the original ‘Comma Corner’, is now ‘Specklie Intersection’. I hung around here for a little bit and the Peacock also returned so I managed a few shots of that before returning my attentions to the area the Specklie liked. It seemed that the Comma wasn’t ready to give up its place of business just yet and each time the Specklie returned it would have a go at it. However in the end it was the Comma that got driven off and the Specklie returned triumphant and perched for all of a few seconds before it set off after the next intruder, a Blackbird I think it was…
10-04-2023 2.JPG
10-04-2023 3.JPG
10-04-2023 4.JPG
I waited but it didn’t return and then I walked round the corner and up the denuded bank. A Small White fluttered into view and this one landed several times allowing me to get shots of it from various angles as it led me round to the Upper Bank 1 first and then back to the denuded bank. The cloud at this point started to win over the sun and so having had a reasonable level of success I thought this would be the best time to make my way homeward. None too shabby a return – shots of a Peacock and two other firsts for the year. Still not a patch on Corfu though…
10-04-2023 5.JPG
10-04-2023 6.JPG
10-04-2023 7.JPG
Back with a big bump
Not the same variety
Lower numbers too

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, what a Spring we've had :roll: But fancy, I've seen the Wall but not a Comma yet :D Goldie :D
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Goldie :D I had something similar but slightly less extreme - a Green Hairstreak and Orange-tip before a Green-veined White :shock: Hopefully things will settle down and get back into the 'normal' rhythm now :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Middle Street 13-04-2023

After a grey and wet day came a day trapped at work leading an extra Revision session whilst the weather deteriorated into blustery showers followed by very strong wind later. However this morning started fine but I watched as the cloud gathered during the morning whilst I was locked into yet more admin tasks. However after lunch the sun came out and with it my camera and I was away to Middle Street.

The local tree surgeons were butchering some of the boundary trees and so I couldn’t park in my usual spot hence I started my walk at the half way entrance and I wandered along the path, the ‘end field’ on my left, the football pitch on my right and ahead the Bank path which runs the length of the reserve. When I reached said path I walked back past the Dips without seeing a single butterfly. All was quiet and I was left wondering if the temperature was still a little too low? I left the Bank path and walked over to the wood pile in the far corner of the reserve by the boundary fence. This little strip is quite sheltered what with the fence and gardens on one side and a line of dense growing trees and shrubs on the other. Sandwiched in between is a strip of lush grass with Cow Parsley and Dandelions in between the clumps of nettles. The little wood pile itself often holds an Aristo or two but today a small, and from a distance, a dirty looking white fluttered across the tops of the grass. It disappeared down into the grass and as I drew near to where it had dipped down it once again took to the air. Straight away the orange wing tips were visible and I had my first UK OT for the year. It flew up and down the strip and instinct set in and I set off after it at a light jog. Surprisingly it went down again after a very short distance, spooking a Peacock to boot, and so I had my first shots in the bag.
13-04-2023 1.JPG
13-04-2023 2.JPG
Once the OT was off again and never to return I retraced my steps back to try, without success to locate the Peacock. The search took me back up to the Bank Path, round past the pond and to the old Hotspot. The recent deluges have turned the ‘Dried Pond’ back into a Pond Proper and so there was no point looking for any butterflies there. Instead I looked across the small patch of rough ground. A Small Tort erupted from the grass and as I watched it to see if or where it would land I got distracted some other insects and lost it. I worked back round to the strip and managed to find the Peacock back in a similar place, albeit very briefly before back at the wood pile a Small Tort sat. For a few photos before it bombed off as well – everything seemed a little frenetic, perhaps an effect of their activities being curtailed by days and days of cool, grey and or wet weather? A female Brimstone passed by and did the annoying flight that they do; darting from one flower to another, fluttering around one little lump and looking to all intents and purposes that they’re going to settle before nipping off to the next set and repeating the action. On the return back to the wood pile after following her a butterfly did behave itself – well more like ¾ of a butterfly as it was an aged Red Admiral with many, many chunks torn out of it.
13-04-2023 4.JPG
13-04-2023 5.JPG
13-04-2023 6.JPG
I then took a final turn along the Bank Path checking out the Dips as I went. Dip 1 looked quiet at first but then I caught sight of bright orange little jewel, a Small Tort. As I was waiting patiently for it to settle in just the right place a white blob flew across my line of sight. Reasoning that the Small Tort wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon I cautiously stood back and then set to following the white. It flew over the large bramble bush on one side of Dip 1 and down and then up the track towards the river. On its return it plumped itself down in the little hollow right on the corner of Dip1 and I grabbed a few record shots in case it was my first Green-veined. It turned out to be a Small instead and it bleached out in the sunlight even though a cloud had briefly covered the sun so I made my way back into Dip 1 proper and sure enough the Small Tort was still in place.
13-04-2023 7.JPG
13-04-2023 8.JPG
Dip 2 was quiet as was Dip 3 but as I crossed over the top of the Bank path and down the other side a Small Tort flew from the Dandelions on the edge of the Bank and I followed it’s intermittent flight around and backup along the the Bank path to the end. Once there I walked round and back along the Bank but from the bottom and there another Small Tort sat warming itself in the sun. So in the end not to bad a haul – a first for the year, a first shot for the year and a few Small Torts to add onto the years tally.
13-04-2023 9.JPG
13-04-2023 10.JPG
13-04-2023 11.JPG
You know when it’s spring
A welcome flash of orange
Heralds the season

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Crikey, this is an odd season, OTs don't normally show up in your diary til long after I've seen my last one!
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Personal Diaries”