Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Trevor, it’s challenge round here too, still not seen a local OT and my current total is just five!
Thanks David, now we just need the weather to play ball so more come out to play.
Thanks Wurzel, It was a blessed relief to finally find one active (but not too active)!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 2023

Saturday 29th. I was hoping I’d be too busy chasing butterflies and processing the resulting images to be able to write up this report so soon after the event, this being the start of a two week break from work. But of course, this is 2023, where there is now a running joke at work that the sun only comes out when I’m at work! A minor break in this run of bad luck came on the first day of my holiday which did feel very springlike with plenty of sun and light winds, at least for the morning. Eager to try and add a few new species to the annual list I hopped on a train up to Tring for a walk through the Chilton’s to Ivinghoe Beacon. The first new species for the list came not long after leaving the station, a few Green-veined White were busy breakfasting on the remains of some Blackthorn blossom when I noticed something smaller flitting around a nearby Holly. It didn’t descend but after watching it for a bit it ,finally settled somewhere where I could actually get a few record snaps with the long lens and confirm it was a she.
IMG_0033.JPG
I had a quick walk around Aldbury Nowers nature reserve, finding not a great deal save for a few female Brimstone (presumably rising early to avoid the attentions of the males for at least a short period of the day). I did however manage to add a second season debut before leaving in the form of a nice Small Copper.
IMG_0069.JPG
The walk across to Ivinghoe was mostly a butterfly free zone which did feel quite strange given the weather today. All that was seen were a few Peacock. There’re still some spiffing examples active which I suspect are mostly females. I see this pattern most years: A flurry of activity straight out of hibernation of mostly good conditioned insects which slowly thin out and become more worn as the weeks go by then a second wave of fresh-looking individuals. I suspect this is due to the females being mated in that initial wave of activity and then keeping a low profile (perhaps even a short aestivation) until they’re ready to lay. Meanwhile the males spend the weeks squabbling with anything that comes near them. Just my little theory.
IMG_0100.JPG
My first spot to stop and have a look at the beacon was Incombe Hole, a spot where the first Dukes often emerge here, but once again it was oddly quiet on the butterfly front. I had genuine expectations of finding a few of the Spring Skippers but none were forthcoming. I spoke to a few other enthusiasts here and apparently both Grzzled and Dingy Skippers had been seen but only singltons as far as I could determine. A Green Hairstreak did flutter past me making it a hattrick of season debuts for the day and I managed to get a few record shots of them at the lekking spot here.
IMG_0131.JPG
I decided to leave the 'hole' and have a look at some of the other gullies that are normally full of argumentative Dukes but before I could, a Duke popped out in front of me, very fresh and still a little clumsy when it came to landing.
IMG_0142.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG
As always, Brimstones were extremely numerous and if you stop to watch the females you can see why. They manage to pick out every Buckthorn stem available, and it’s everywhere! I also saw an Orange-tip, a Holly Blue and a handful of Peacock, but like I said, strangely quiet overall.
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0165.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG
Behind the Beacon, after some searching, I managed to find another three Dukes. Again they were all fresh and didn’t seem to have properly set up territories yet, still getting a lay of the land it would seem.
IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0241.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG
Of course no day in the Chilton's is complete without some Kite watching and today I was able to look down on them for a change :)
IMG_0281.JPG
During my wandering there were several nice looking Speckled Wood (still not seen a female yet) and the final Duke came as the clouds started to build.
IMG_0316.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
I hung around in Incombe hole for a bit but the cloud cover was now building at quite a rate, so I decided to make a move. Back at Aldbury Nowers I slowed down to check on all the Garlic Mustard, finding only my fifth Orange-tip of the season just as I was leaving the site.
IMG_0362.JPG
It was now time for karma to even out the otherwise nice day, my train got stuck between stations for an hour due to signalling problems and we were all then kicked off at the next station, all in all adding an extra 2 hours to my journey home! If it wasn't for my Large Tort last month I would definitely be asking for this year to start again!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

What a variety rich day out, and a value for money rail ticket!
A couple of :mrgreen: :mrgreen: for the Dukes and the Green one.
Still no PBF around here as of yesterday.

Great report,
Trevor.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Trevor, a variety yes but total numbers still way below what I would expect for the time of year, only the Brimstone and perhaps the Peacock made it into double figures for the day. Even combining all the Whites and OT’s didn’t make it to double figures! With the rail prices sky rocketing year on year it’s becoming increasingly difficult to say value for money too, an off-peak ticket is now nearly double the peak-time ticket I would pay when I first started going out in this part of the world :evil: .

April 2023

Sunday 30th. The following day was certainly nowhere near as warm or sunny, so I stayed local with an hour on the Marshes, although that was barely worth it with just a handful of Whites fluttering around, a female Brimstone and a few Specklies. There were probably more people giving me funny looks than butterflies I think!
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
At least I was able to record the species!
At least I was able to record the species!
As it stands the forecast for tomorrow looks like either cloudless skies all day or mostly cloud and barely worth looking for butterflies depending on what forecast is to be believed... :roll:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely set of Dukes Bugboy :D The vagaries of the weather and its forecasters continue to make the season hard work :roll: I'm glad the poor weather and lack of sun is down to you - I thought it me :shock: :shock: :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Things are shifting lately, Paul, in spite of the continued poor weather.

Good to see those Dukes....a reminder that butterflies can stand most of what the British climate can throw at them.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Wurzel, some more Dukes below. Yes, the weather patterns do seem to be mainly of my making
Thanks David, yes the season progresses despite the weather. The species we have are here exactly because they are evolved to cope with the vagaries of our climate.

May 2023

Wednesday 3rd turned out to be a glorious sunny day so it was a good choice to go into deepest Sussex. I got the train to Amberley where I took a very long, scenic route up to Kithurst where the first Dukes and Grizzled Skippers had been seen the day before. The scenic route took me through a large field full of Cowslips, too well grazed to be home for Dukes but still a beautiful sight. Above it a Red Kite soured who took great exception when a Buzzard turned up. The Buzzard was hovering when the Kite dive bombed it (Kestrels aren’t the only bird of prey who know that trick).
Kite v Buzzard.png
Amongst the other birds seen on the way were some Red-legged Partridge and a cacophony of newly arrived songbirds staking out territories mixing it up with the residents like the Skylarks.
birds 2.png
I arrived at Kithurst about 10.30 to find Katrina already there and able to point me to the best spots. It was still a little early for the lazy Dukes to be up but a bit of wandering turned up some Green Hairstreaks.
IMG_0196.JPG
IMG_0213.JPG
I found the first Duke shortly after 11, fresh as a daisy, probably still wiping sleep from his eyes and Katrina located a second and a female Grizzled Skipper, my first of the year.
IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG
It was no surprise that the Dukes waking up signalled the arrival of Neil Hulme and over the course of the next few hours a total of probably five Dukes, seven Hairstreaks and two Grizzlies were seen amongst a selection of commoner species.
IMG_0250.JPG
IMG_0267.JPG
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0291.JPG
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG
Early afternoon I left to visit Perry Hill and then finish the day at Burpham meadows in the hope of finding some Orange-tips settling down for the night.

Perry Hill was somewhat of a disappointment, just a few Brimstone, Peacock and a camera shy mating pair of Green-veined White. Along the lane leading into Burpham I found a female Orange-tip going about her business.
IMG_0383.JPG
Burpham Meadows was more productive although the Orange-tips weren’t particularly cooperative, the only one to settle had already had a bit of an accident. I also came across a Comma, a species that seems to have completely dropped of the radar after the initial few weeks post hibernation.
IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG
I don't usually concern myself with the ab. diophthalmica, considering it to be one of the many common pseudo aberrations found in the literature, but this one did seem particularly well marked.
I don't usually concern myself with the ab. diophthalmica, considering it to be one of the many common pseudo aberrations found in the literature, but this one did seem particularly well marked.
IMG_0464.JPG
IMG_0491.JPG
A good days haul, shame the weathers gone a tad downhill since then.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Was great to see you - those GHs were wonderful. A day to remember in this grey weather.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

It's great to see the reports starting to be bursting with butterflies Bugboy :D 8) Some of those Greenstreaks seem to be mis-named as one some of them it's difficult to see a spot let alone a streak :shock: :wink: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

That's a great line-up, Paul. Finally, things seem to be gathering pace in spite of the continuing unsettled conditions.

Strange that some butterfly species seem to take longer to get active in the mornings than others. I think Dukes must belong to the 'long lie-in' category. :)
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A nice selection of butteflies in your recent reports Paul. Some of them may have been hard work but it just shows that they are out there if you go looking.

Cheers,

Neil.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I keep looking Paul, I just can't find them :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Goldie :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Katrina, looks like you had another good day, and busy, four sites in one day!
Thanks Wurzel, its still a bit of a stuttering season for me, one days full of butterflies and the next three are washouts! Those Hairstreaks barely had one streak between them!
Thanks David, Dukes are always the lazy bums of the butterfly world, then when they do wake up they spend their short day picking fights with everything that moves, knacker themselves out, and end up going to bed early!
Thanks Neil, it’s a bit frustrating to have to work so hard to see these spring butterflies so I’ve ben trying to make the most of them on the few good days I’ve had.
Hey Goldie, they’re out there, just keep looking, might be an extended season for them this year, what with the weather we’re having.

May 2023

Thursday 4th. The following day I decided to visit Bookham. The forecast, for what its worth these days, said intermittent cloud cover and sunny spells, perfect Orange-tip hunting weather and with its damp meadows and newly widened woodland rides, Bookham has a thriving population of them. The first one I found I disturbed after spending a bit of time with a resting GVW but as the day progressed it became clear that although there was plenty of cloud it was for the most part, the wrong type! It was the high thin cloud that just dims the sun slightly rather than blocking it so the Orange-tips were for the most part on the wing all day long.
IMG_0017.JPG
The first Orange-tip was soon forgotten when a holly Blue showed up nearby. He was a fidgety little git, settling often but never long enough to get a shot off but I summoned my inner Millerd and finally managed to get him to sit still for his photoshoot.
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
Next up the only female Orange-tip I saw all day, whose rather large discoidal spot may well put her in the realm of ab. macula-punctata, and then another Holly Blue, this one was undisturbable having found his own personal holy grail!
IMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG
Orange-tips proved to be the most numerous butterfly of the day, perhaps 15 or so seen, and I did manage to pin down one male briefly as he made a pit stop.
IMG_0107.JPG
This female Comma needs to sort herself out and stop scaring people like me. Ten years ago an orange butterfly falling out of an Elm could only really be a Comma, but nowadays it’s enough to give a butterflyer a heart attack! :lol:
IMG_0138.JPG
Several Brimstone were about but like the OT’s the cloud cover did little to slow them down. This female was the only one who did in my presence.
IMG_0158.JPG
I only saw the one Peacock all day but she was worthy of my attention, it’s not often you find one this fresh looking in May, even a female.
IMG_0166.JPG
This fine example of the Speckled Wood fraternity is the first female I’ve seen this year.
IMG_0181.JPG
I also came across this drab looking bird whilst trying to get a shot of one of the two Cuckoo active throughout the day. It’s a Garden Warbler, who’s somewhat ironic most notable diagnostic visual feature is it has basically non! It does however make up for its almost complete monochrome blandness with a lovely warbley song, to my ears indistinguishable from a Blackcap but nonetheless very tuneful.
IMG_0191.JPG
Finally, a few pictures showing the new widened rides which last spring looked like a scene from the Somme. Now they look amazing, it’s good to see some excellent woodland management going on here, those rides are just crying out for some spring Fritillaries now. Before the clearance there would only be a few gaps in the canopy above these paths, the amount of Orange-tips along these paths has definitely increased as has the variety of wildflower species.
IMG_0171.JPG
On one of the log piles :-)
On one of the log piles :-)
millerd

Post by millerd »

The only response to that has to be :D ...

Good to see how well Bookham has been managed - considering how much time I spend there later in the year! :)

Cheers,

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"its still a bit of a stuttering season for me, one days full of butterflies and the next three are washouts! "...I just wrote something similar on Guy's PD - it's been a nightmare, especially when the good day is often a Wednesday :cry: :roll: Great to see the Garden Warbler and I mean actually see :shock: I normally differentiate the songs by using the following strategy; I can hear it and see it - it's a Blackcap, I can hear it but not see it it's a Garden Warbler :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Nice range of species there, Paul. I guess the vanessids are in their last throes and will soon be disappearing, although as ever others will arrive to take their place. A few Fritillaries would be nice after all the good work that's been done at that site.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks Dave, a few magic words and he was putty in my hands :wink: !
I’m back at work now Wurzel so the season should now burst forth with vengeance :roll: !
Thanks David, yes the species list grows, just need this interminable weather to settle down so we can get out and see them at leisure.

May 2023

Sunday 7th. The run of poor weather continued but today there was a glimmer of hope that they grey might give way to a bit of sun and, having yet to find a Dingy Skipper, I plumped for my first trip of the season to Denbies, aware that Millerd had seen one or two there already. Well the sun certainly took it’s time and a slow circuit of the field gave me just one butterfly in the first hour, a roosting Grizzlie.
IMG_0112.JPG
A marginal thinning of cloud not long after gave me a sighting of not one but two season firsts and now I was left dithering over which to follow. The Small Heath had a quick photoshoot then I moved to where I’d noted the Dingy settling. He was still there and posed well.
IMG_0145.JPG
IMG_0192.JPG
Two season firsts for the price of one in the bag but despite that tiny flurry of activity, I still had a couple of hours before I started to see a glimmer of blue sky and my next butterfly sightings.

I loitered around the steps, famous if you’re in the know, for the Green Hairstreaks as one of their lekking spots. It’s become a little bit overgrown which seems to have resulted in them swapping over to the other side of the steps and they were near impossible to get close too. A Sycamore sapling was the main focus of activity with at least three bickering over possession of the sunniest leaves. A fourth one periodically came closer but refused to play ball!
IMG_0263.JPG
IMG_0266.JPG
With the sun now out properly, I moved back down to where the tiny flurry of activity had occurred earlier to find a larger flurry of activity going on with half a dozen of each species now active, plus a few very freshly emerged Mother Shipton’s getting in on the act too.
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG
IMG_0353.JPG
IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG
On the way home I took a slight detour to a damp patch of grass verge with a sizable amount of Cuckoo Flower that pops up every spring. It only gets the sun late afternoon but when it does at this time of year it’s always worth a punt!
IMG_0466.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG
IMG_0510.JPG
A good finish to what started off as a very cool grey day :) .
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see the Small Heath Bugboy - still on my radar for this year that one 8) It seems like we had similar weather over this way on the 7th - contrary to the weather app (full sun from 10 :shock: :roll: ) we had plenty of waiting round for the sun. Hopefully the Jet Stream will have sorted itself out now :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Well this week has been an improvement Wurzel, guess where I’ve been for most of it :roll: !

May 2023

Tuesday 9th was another grey day with the promise of some lively thunderstorms later in the afternoon but I’d arranged to meet a friend on Walthamstow Wetlands so I took my camera on the off chance. There had been a recent report of a radiata ab. Small Copper here so there was always a glimmer of coming across that is the sun did break cover (I later found out it was on one of the permit only areas used mainly by fishermen). In the end it was a few hours mainly birdwatching with a few Whites at either end.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
Great-crested Grebe with Stickleback
Great-crested Grebe with Stickleback
Common Tern
Common Tern
Grey Wagtail
Grey Wagtail
Grey Heron
Grey Heron
IMG_0146.JPG
A couple of Speckled Wood showed up in the usual spots on the Marshes and a solitary flighty Peacock were the only others seen.
IMG_0131.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"guess where I’ve been for most of it "...likewise :? Although I did get out yesterday :D
Really like teh markings on that second Small White Bugboy - the way the (discal?) spots are so heavy contrasting with the ashen wing tips - nice! 8) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Some nice images there, Paul, with unusual perspectives that add to the 'feel'.

I trust now that the weather has improved you are seeing a fair bit more than in early May?

Return to “Personal Diaries”