Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Goldie M

Post by millerd »

That female Specklie is beautifully marked, Goldie: it's a smashing butterfly. :) :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David , my Spring so for has been on the slow side, but hope fully I'll see more Butterflies before long.
Those Newts look after themselves I was told not to feed them by the previous owners ,so I've gone along with that , I keep checking they're okay, that's when I found there was certainly more than two like the woman said :D

Thanks Dave, I thought so to, I like the cream spots on brown, some times their bodies seem green depending on the light, especially when they're fresh, I hope I get a few in the garden this year. Goldie :D

I went to East Blean woods today, I parked the car just outside on the road, I'm sure what's happening in there, there was warning signs saying logging trucks were there, and one half of the car park was down and full of fallen trees, I suppose it's trying to make the place better but it was full of huge pot holes at the entrance, I was surprised at the condition considering the Heath Fritillaries will be out end of this month.

I saw nothing, I thought I'd see a Comma there or an Orange Tip but no chance, I didn't go too far because of the huge puddles. we certainly had the rain this year :roll: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:17 pmHi! David , my Spring so for has been on the slow side, but hope fully I'll see more Butterflies before long.
Been the same for all of us, Goldie. These cool, wet conditions can't last forever and once the weather turns warm I'm sure there'll be plenty of butterflies for you.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I Hope so to David, But where ever I've been recently there's been loads of work going on, for instance, I went to Reculver again yesterday the road wasn't closed but in one of the car parks there was four lorries and a huge looking crane for lifting, it looks like they were working on the Roman tower there, I didn't hang around because it was windy and cool, I just hope when I go again the work will be done. :D

I also went back to the Park, it seems the only place I've seen any different Butterflies species, I at least got my first Green Veined shot, I seem to be getting them one at a time :D Lovely day today but I was stuck at the Hospital, nothing serious , but you can't pick your days :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7997 (1).jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

"but you can't pick your days" I know that feeling Goldie; a lot of the best weather days so far this year have been during the working week :roll: Hope all is sorted hospital wise. Lovely looking Green-veined shot :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Wurzel, to be honest I thought it was a Small White at first :D Loads of Holly Blues in the Garden today ,all busy, busy, :D

I did see a Small White in the garden , I'm behind with lots of things ,so I decided after seeing all the cars going by it was better to get my Garden done and then be free for the coming week, I thought they said it was to rain today, it turned out to be lovely, Like I said Wurzel , " you can't pick the days " :D My Daughter arrived with her dog any way for a quick coffee. :D
Attachments
IMG_8013.jpeg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That Small White was the reward for working in your garden Goldie :wink: 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Wurzel, I hope I get more rewards :D Having said that, I did get a visit this morning from a Holly Blue :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8027.jpeg
IMG_8025.jpeg
IMG_8023.jpeg
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Looks nice and fresh. Great photos :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Katrina, I think they're just coming out properly here now, this afternoon another one came, it sheltered itself in the Ivy because of the wind. :D
I'm still looking for an Orange Tip :roll: Goldie :D
Attachments
Holly Blue 8thMay 2023.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

Great images of the Holly Blues, Goldie. Surely if you can find a patch of ground with cuckoo flower growing on it there must be an Orange Tip or two about?
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

That’s a lovely Holly Blue, Goldie.

Don’t forget to set a bit of time aside for Grizzled Skipper hunting this month!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, Finally I found an Orange Tip today :D I decided to go back to the Castle Gardens in Tankerton, the gardens there are fantastic, they have a plant there that the gardener told me was a garlic plant, it was nothing like the garlic flowers I'd seen before, very tall and very small white flowers,
to my surprise I saw Quite a lot of Orange Tips flying but the one I got a shot of landed on the Daisies in the lawn :D

Hi! essex, I'm sure the Grizzled Skippers are not there any more where I went when Allan told me about them, I must try asking Kent Butterflies where they are at present, it seems every thing is late here, I was in in the same park yesterday on a belated Birthday treat and I didn't see one, mind you it was very windy, today it said we'd get thunder showers but they missed us and we had a warm day with a lot of Sunshine, that helps :D

When I saw the Butterfly land on the Daisy, I'd to walk a bit round a hedge , I did think it would have flown a way by then, but luckily a cloud came over the sun and it folded it's wings, at first I thought I'd made a mistake and it was a clover, they really do have good camouflage ,but when I got closer I saw it really was the OT :D My day was made :D When I got back to my own Garden the Holly Blue were there has usual :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8098.jpeg
IMG_8060.jpeg
IMG_8089.jpeg
IMG_8073.jpeg
IMG_8060.jpeg
IMG_8054.jpeg
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello Goldie ,
Just read you,re last post , You could be right concerning the grizzle sites that i put you on to .They were very poor last year ( all 3 sections )
and my best count there (last season ) was only 4 . My first Grizzle there last year was a singleton on (funnily enough !) the 9th of May ,i,ve had a couple of visits this year ................nothing .
All of my local areas (4 sites/areas ) are now VERY overgrown ,and i,ll be surprised if any will show this year .
At Dungeness a few have been reported ,i hope to have a look there this weekend .
I think your best bet may be sending Paul " Testudo man " a PM , and seeing if he can help ,another idea .............take a look on "Kent Butterflies "
Facebook page ,as they are being reported from one or two spots in the Burham area . there are small scattered colonies here and there ...............its just finding them !
Sorry i can,t be more positive for you .................but good hunting !
Allan.W.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Allan, we begin again with the Butterflies :D Trouble with me is the traveling, if the Grizzlies were nearer no problem, plus , if my Daughter was with me things would be ok, but she can't always find the time. Today for instance she'll be here but I might not see her again until next Monday, I find I can't drive too far these days , I've a bad hip and it would be my right one wouldn't it :D

I'd love to go to Dungeness but it's too far and every time I mention it she's not keen to go.
I met a woman yesterday in the park and she was from the Burham area, she said she was seeing Butterflies there she'd never seen before, she wasn't in to Butterflies by name though, hope fully I'll see them some time , :roll: Goldie :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Today the forecast was for heavy showers in the afternoon, so we decided on Reculver in the morning, I'm glad we did not only was it sunny but I saw the Wall butterflies, unfortunately every time they landed on a stone in the wall they closed their wings, the shot I did manage to get was a quickie before it landed on a flower, not too good a shot but at least it was opened wing :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_8150.jpeg
IMG_8147.jpeg
IMG_8145 (1).jpeg
IMG_8139.jpeg
IMG_8121.jpeg
IMG_8115.jpeg
IMG_8109.jpeg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some nice shots of the Wall Brown Goldie. Haven't seen many images of them posted recently.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brilliant Wall shots Goldie :D They've only just come onto the scene so you did really well to capture those as they're usually so full of vim and vigour :shock: Great that you got your Orange-tip as well :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Pauline and Wurzel,

I think Trevor beat me Pauline, I saw his post and that's what made me think they were out at Reculver :D

Hi! Wurzel, they were quite frisky, especially on those flowers :D they'd cut the plants along the wall but left the ones in the field above growing along the edge, I stayed on the cycle path and got lucky :D I also saw Orange tips there , they didn't stop and to my surprise a clouded yellow flew past, I'll certainly be going there more often. :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Love those Wall Browns, Goldie! I shall be on the lookout for those myself tomorrow. :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”