Chequered skipper

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
OwenE

Chequered skipper

Post by OwenE »

I’ve booked a couple of days in fort William on the last weekend of May in the hopes of seeing Chequered Skipper.

Does anyone have any sites or information they could share about the best places to try

I’m then going on for a weeks family holiday on Skye. If anyone knows any good butterfly or dragonfly sites on the isle they’d be much appreciated
Bertl

Re: Chequered skipper

Post by Bertl »

Owen

The best chequered skipper site near Fort William in my opinion is Glasdrum NNR. I have visited this site in the last 2 years and haven't been disappointed with the number of chequered skipper on the wing.

Bert
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, without doubt Glasdrum is a nailed-on site....probably the very best in fact.

You just need to walk the track under the wayleaves to find them (so long as the weather plays ball and you are there during their flight period).
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I completely agree with Glasdrum! One of the benefits is that the site is relatively compact when compared with other sites, so you can focus in the core area. And you'll see Small pearls to boot!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Glasdrum is the easiest but if you are staying in Fort William for a couple of days then I would also recommend a visit to Glen Loy. Drive along the track until it crosses the small bridge and then look in any likely looking spots alongside the small river. This is a larger area and they are more spread out but it was my favourite spot that I visited when we were up there a few years back. SPBF and Green Hairstreak can be found along here also.
It is probably worth mentioning the flight times can vary a bit between the various sites with Glasdrum being an early site, late May could be optimal depending on what kind of spring they have had up there. Glen Loy is a bit later and early June seems to be better but as always, it all depends on the weather.
More details of our visit on page 88 of my PD viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5424&start=1740

Cheers,

Neil
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I agree with Neil, Glen Loy is worth a visit if you have time. I prefer to stay away from the crowds if I can when I'm out butterflying and it would seem this place is a bit off the beaten track. Like Neil says you have to work harder to find them but you can't complain in the scenery you're treated to! You might want to pack wellies given how much rain we've had though. Depending on flight times you might also get lucky with a Large Heath there which I've seen at the other end of the road, keep driving until you can't go any further.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

Thank you everyone. I’ve stayed in glenloy in the past for the Pine martins. Be nice to go back. Might try and do both sites.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Pine Marten. A little boast here. I occasionally get them in my garden near Nairn.

But maybe it was Pine Marten that injured our cat's tail - to the extent of an £82 vet's bill.
The collar - now removed - was to stop Bertie licking his wound.

Jack
Attachments
23-04-28-014-Bertie.jpg
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

Thank you everyone. Saw dozens at glasdrum and unlike the spbf they settled a lot. Including on the floral pattern on my daughters leg.

Return to “Sites”