Cryptic Wood White

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
jenks

Cryptic Wood White

Post by jenks »

Hi all,

I am making this request to UK Butterfly members for any information/advice they may be able to give me re seeing Cryptic Wood White, Leptidea juvernica. This remains the only UK butterfly species I have yet to see. Obviously I have to go to Ireland (Northern or Republic ) to see it. Has anyone made a trip to see this species ? If so what was the location ? I know Craigavon Lakes in Northern Ireland is a favoured site and there are other sites in the Republic. As I live in South Wales I can take the Fishguard to Rosslare ferry but presumably Craigavon Lakes would be best served by plane from one of the UK`s western airports. If anyone can advise me of the logistics or have any useful information they can impart I`d be very grateful.

Jenks (Gareth).
bugboy

Re: Cryptic Wood White

Post by bugboy »

Hi Gareth,

I did indeed make a trip to see the CWW back in 2017. Unfortunately my trip was plagued by bad weather so opportunities for butterfly watching (of any species) weren't prolific but, based on location, I'm confident I found some. We stayed in Galway so we also made a trip to the Burren to find the Irish sinapis. To find juvernica we drove east and basically stumbled across some when we stopped of at Dartfield Equestrian centre to grab a snack and use their conveniences. I found them flitting along the verges of a lane behind the centre heading north. Like I said I'm basing the ID entirely on the location. Looking at the distribution map of the CWW on here, we were only a stones throw from Ballydoogan Bog, a listed site for the species. From what I've read of the species, it's worth taking a scenic route and making the effort to explore any country lane with flowery verges, as a species they're nowhere near as fussy as sinapis, one might say suitably catholic for a largely Catholic country!
Cryptic Wood White, Dartfield Equestrian centre, Ireland #1.JPG
Cryptic Wood White, Dartfield Equestrian centre, Ireland #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Gareth - there have been reports in the vicinity of Rosslare Harbour itself, as well as at the Raven Nature Reserve.

However, I've never sought this species out at either location so don't have any more info. I'm afraid. But it might be worth 'Googling' these locations and, especially, contacting relevant folk in Ireland to get their perspective.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
jenks

Post by jenks »

Thanks to Bugboy for the info. I`m researching that !

And thanks to Pete Eeles for his reply. Adrian Riley posted a message to this effect a few years back and I have a copy of that. That could involve just a trip as a foot passenger on the Fishguard to Rosslare ferry, and a view of the undercliffs a short walk from the harbour and then return on the next ferry. That seems an attractive option, it just requires the Stena website to stop playing silly b***ers and give me ferry times so that I can review these to give me optimum time for searching.

But thanks to you both for responding.

Jenks.

Return to “Sites”