Silver-washed Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 15

From incessant rain to freezing temperatures; roll on spring! And whilst we wait let the sights from the 2022 season warm the cockles. :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Silver-washed Fritillary - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by millerd »

The species seemed to make a sluggish start to its season, well behind the White Admirals in 2022 instead of nearly coinciding in emergence - at least at the two spots I visited (Bookham and Chiddingfold). There was nothing particularly outstanding, though this fresh male posed nicely at Bookham on 24th June...
SWF2 240622.JPG
...as did this one at Chiddingfold on 26th.
SWF6 260622.JPG
At Bookham again on 1st July I found a darkish female flying in the shade which despite a markedly green underside did not unfortunately (despite my hopes :)) qualify as a valesina.
SWF3 010722.JPG
SWF2 010722.JPG
Dave
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

I had a good season with the Silver-washed Fritillary in 2022. My favourite photograph was of this mating valezina.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Silver-washed Fritillary (mating_ valezina female) 27.6.2022  East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Good numbers, as always, at a site just five minutes from where I live. My favourite photos from 2022 are of a Valezina that I encountered on three separate occasions. Sandridge Common, Melksham, Wiltshire.
19th July
19th July
19th July
19th July
22nd July
22nd July
David M

Post by David M »

downland boy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:25 amI had a good season with the Silver-washed Fritillary in 2022. My favourite photograph was of this mating valezina.
Top notch, DB. :mrgreen:
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I'm afraid my sighting of the Silver Washed Fritillary was very brief :( It was on the 23rd of June whilst I was in East Blean Woods that I saw it and just my luck it landed in the bushes :roll:

I was filming the Heath's at the time and although I went back on the 25th never saw it again so I'd to be satisfied that I'd seen it, besides, on that day I did see the Purple HS so I was well satisfied :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6841.jpeg
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

A disproportionate number of “first sightings” in 2022 were made in Cambridgeshire and when I visited a local wood on 7 June I was surprised to find plenty of Silver-washed Fritillary on the wing. My favourite photograph(s) were of a pair happily feeding by the edge of the ride.
Attachments
Silver-washed Fritillary, Cambridgeshire, 7 June
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

David M wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:03 am downland boy wrote: ↑Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:25 am
I had a good season with the Silver-washed Fritillary in 2022. My favourite photograph was of this mating valezina.
David M wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:03 am Top notch, DB.
Thanks David.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Not a vintage year for me this year, I think I was chasing other things when they peaked but I did stumble across an aberrant male getting the cold shoulder from a female
Silver-washed Fritillary courting, Bookham Common.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

A visit to Oversley Wood on 22nd June produced good numbers of Silver-washed Fritillaries, mostly fresh looking males indicating it was still earlu intheir flight period there. It was a warm morning and they were very active, only touching down for short periods and fidgeting about which made photos a challenge.
Silver-washed Fritillary - Oversley Wood 22.06.2022
I saw similar numbers at Snitterfield Bushes on 16th July, by which time there were more females about and the males were mostly looking worn and faded. This was another warm morning when the butterflies were very active.

Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Silver-washed Fritillary

Three times I’ve tried Alners Gorse for Valesina and three times I’ve been successful! I was pootling around the particular corner of the hedge at the part of the site beyond the main diamond of the reserve (I think it’s known as The Banks) and there were plenty of Silver-washed bombingabout and bustling into each other. A White Admiral sliced its way through the sky making its way deeper into the reserve and a few silvery Purps played in the sun atop the surrounding trees. All of a sudden I spotted a skulking grey looking thing hiding towards the back of the hedge. Luckily it came a little closer and there was my Greenish Silver-washed, a cracking looking Valezina. In the past they’ve sat in such a way as to show off the blueish tinge sometimes in a way to look almost blue/black but this one looked almost black and white – lush!
4a SWF 16-07-2022 5.JPG
Hopefully the ‘streak’ will continue here as they’re also at Garston but they seldom seem to stop for me there!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Got a small window locally in late July, although by then even the females were past their best:
26.SWF1(1).jpg
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

No adults photographed in 2022, but managed to watch a few eggs being laid on one of the Gatwick transects.
SWF egg - Gatwick, Sussex 26-July-2022
SWF egg - Gatwick, Sussex 26-July-2022
Vince
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

I have chosen this Silver-washed Fritillary shot because it shows off both sides of this male taking minerals from the ground. Photographed just before the ultra heatwave in July in the Lincolnshire Limewoods.
DSC04087 (2).JPG

Return to “Silver-washed Fritillary”