David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: David M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David, looks like I'd be better visiting Wales for the Grizzlies :D That last shot of one is great :mrgreen: Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Goldie. I'm sure you'll find Grizzlies far nearer to home than south Wales! :D

A look back at 2022

May

On 7th, the day I arrived back from Spain, I stayed close to home and headed over to Fairwood Common where my first Green Hairstreaks were waiting:
7.GH1(1).jpg
The next day was sunny and pleasant, so I went down to Cwm Ivy & Whiteford Burrows, where I found Common Blues on the wing:
12.CommBl(1).jpg
There were a handful of other ‘firsts’ for the year, including Brown Argus:
8.BArg(1).jpg
Small Heath and Small Blue were the others:
8.SmHth(1).jpg
8.SmBluepair2(1).jpg
There were no vanessids at all, meaning that we had moved on from the mid-spring period, but there were plenty of Orange Tips which are always welcome:
8.OTip(1).jpg
On 12th, I went a little further afield to Kenfig Dunes and was pleased to find quite a few Wall Browns:
12.Wallmaleups2(1).jpg
12.Wallfemups2(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

A look back at 2022

May cont….

Unlike 2021, where the middle part of May was cool and cloudy, this year it was largely fine and sunny. On 14th I made my first longer distance journey to Rodborough Common, Glos, where I found over 20 Dukes of Burgundy:
14.DoB1(1).jpg
14.DoBuns(1).jpg
I was delighted to find Adonis Blues had emerged too:
14.Adonis2(1).jpg
I went back via Haugh Wood in Herefordshire but was disappointed not to find any Pearl Bordered Fritillaries. The area where they used to be reliable was now largely overgrown, and there was a large fence around the slope opposite where some clearance work was going on. That said, there were a small number of Wood Whites about:
14a.WdWh2(1).jpg
By now it was late afternoon, but I still had time to call in at Ewyas Harold Common, as I knew this would be my last chance to see PBFs on UK soil this year. Thankfully, there were a few about, although they were past their best:
14b.PBFfem(1).jpg
14b.PBFuns1(1).jpg
Whilst photographing this one, something didn’t seem right. That’s because it wasn’t – it was a Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary; the first I’ve ever seen at this site:
14b.SPBFuns2(1).jpg
I duly informed management at this site after I got home and it appears that they have been recorded there in the past, though very infrequently.
David M

Post by David M »

A look back at 2022

May cont….

The period between 17th and 24th May was largely cloudy, and with a trip to France looming on 25th, I used the time to stay local and await the emergence of the Marsh & Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries close to my home.

Green Hairstreaks kept me entertained, especially when nectaring from bluebells:
21.GHbb2(1).jpg
My first Painted Lady turned up too:
17.PL1(1).jpg
Eventually, on 21st, Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries revealed themselves:
21.SPBF(1).jpg
Usually, Marsh Fritillaries emerge in synchrony so it was no surprise when I returned the following day and finally found a couple:
22.MFr1(1).jpg
24.MarshFruns(1).jpg
My last image before leaving for France was of this Painted Lady in my neighbour’s garden on 24th May:
24.PL1(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

A look back at 2022

June

Didn’t spend too many days of this month at home, although I had a last opportunity on 3rd to check up on my local Marsh Fritillary populations:
3.MF2(1).jpg
I had only one full day on 14th between trips to North Greece and Italy/France to get out again, and I was lucky that the weather was favourable and that I managed to see both Dark Green Fritillary and Marbled White at Whiteford Burrows:
A.1406DGF1(1).jpg
A.1406MW(1).jpg
That afternoon, I also caught up with my first domestic Large Skippers on Fairwood Common:
B.1406LgeSkmale(1).jpg
B.1406LgeSkfem(1).jpg
I also saw my first summer brood Small Tortoiseshell:
B.1406STort(1).jpg
With 35 consecutive days to then spend in Europe, it would be the latter part of July when I would get to see butterflies in the UK again.
David M

Post by David M »

A look back at 2022

July

By the time I’d returned from a marathon stint abroad, things were past their peak from a butterfly perspective.
My first task, on 21st, was to catch up with my local High Brown Fritillaries in the Alun Valley near Bridgend. Climbing up Old Castle Down, I saw my first UK Hedge Browns of the year:
21.HBmale(1).jpg
21.HBfem(1).jpg
My first Ringlets appeared too…in good numbers:
21.Ringletuns(1).jpg
Once in the large thistle patch by the railway bridge, I found several still decent looking female High Browns having a late season feast:
21.HB1ups(1).jpg
21.HB2uns(1).jpg
21.HB3ups(1).jpg
21.HB3uns(1).jpg
The following day, I got out for a local visit and managed to find a few Graylings at Mumbles Head:
22.Grayling1(1).jpg
I also found a couple of Small Skippers, which I thought I might miss out on due to the heatwave which had shrivelled the vegetation and rather burned things out:
22.SmSkipper1(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

A look back at 2022

July cont….

With a trip to Spain commencing on 29th, I was keen to catch up with Essex Skippers, which can be found on Castle Meadows in Abergavenny. Prior to that though, I twice visited Nicholaston Burrows to look for Purple Hairstreaks, managing to see a couple on 25th:
25.PplHstk(1).jpg
The following day was a blank one for quercusia, but I was able to get my first image of a home-grown Silver Washed Fritillary for 2022:
26.SWF1(1).jpg
Second brood Small Blues were about too:
26.SmBlue(1).jpg
This female Green Veined White was a beauty:
26.GVWfem(1).jpg
On 27th, Castle Meadows had, unfortunately, been savagely cut and I couldn’t find any Essex Skippers, although this Small Copper provided some compensation:
27.SmCopp(1).jpg
Feeling frustrated, I got in the car and drove over to Swells Hill Bank near Stroud, where I duly found several Essex Skippers:
27.Essex3(1).jpg
As a bonus, there were good numbers of Chalkhill Blues around:
27.CHBmaleups(1).jpg
27.CHBfem(1).jpg
The biggest surprise though was seeing a couple of late Marbled Whites, although both were well past their best:
27.MarbWh(1).jpg
Two days later, I flew out to Spain, not returning to the UK until 9th August.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

That's a good shot of the Grayling David , :mrgreen: I always seemed to get shots where they were near stones and they didn't blend in too well, I must see if I can find any this year :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

A look back at 2022

August

I came back from a cooler than normal Spain to a raging hot Wales, where temperatures exceeded 30c even in Swansea!

A local excursion on 10th gave a foretaste of things to come, as butterfly activity was rather suppressed due to the heat. With that in mind, I arrived early on 11th at West Williamston in Pembrokeshire to find the horse in the top field wearing a fly mask and a large body cover, presumably to protect it from the abnormal temperatures.

There were quite a few butterflies active between 930 and 1030am, including several male Brown Hairstreaks jousting in an ash tree by the gate in the lower field:
11.BHmale1(1).jpg
A short while later I was delighted to find a pristine female investigating the blackthorn suckers along the foreshore:
11.BHfemuns1(1).jpg
11.BHfemups1(1).jpg
Comma, Small Tortoiseshell and Painted Lady were seen nectaring near the scrub line:
11.Comma(1).jpg
11.SmTort(1).jpg
11.PL(1).jpg
On 13th, the heat peaked (it was 32c when I drove home from Kenfig Dunes), but another early start rewarded me with hundreds of butterflies, mainly Meadow Browns and Common Blues, but also several Graylings at this coastal site:
13.Grayling(1).jpg
A few second brood Wall Browns were about too:
13.Wallupsmale(1).jpg
I briefly got sight of a Clouded Yellow, but it flew some distance beyond an inaccessible area and I wasn’t able to re-find it despite 10 minutes’ searching.

With several Clouded Yellows having been reported from Cosmeston Lakes near Cardiff, I thought I pay a visit there myself on 19th to check things out.

The territory looked just like the place for them, with grassy meadows and lots of knapweed and thistles, but despite over two hours wandering around, I didn’t see any.

Meadow Browns were numerous again:
19.MdwBr(1).jpg
So were Common Blues:
19.CommBl(1).jpg
The heatwave had taken its toll on the habitat though, with the grass scorched yellow and lots of stunted plants which had suffered from lack of rainfall.
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:10 pmThat's a good shot of the Grayling David , :mrgreen: I always seemed to get shots where they were near stones and they didn't blend in too well..
Thanks, Goldie. Unusual to see them nectaring at ground level. As you say, they're usually camouflaged on the rock faces making them difficult to do justice to.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Some lovely shots there David of the Brown Hair Streak, It's another one on my list too get, not having seen one. I have seen an egg it was at Gaits Barrow
I don't know if some one introduced them or what, I was with a group of people then and we were all looking for the Hair Streak , no luck I'm afraid :roll:
Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Goldie M wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:28 pmSome lovely shots there David of the Brown Hair Streak, It's another one on my list too get, not having seen one. I have seen an egg it was at Gaits Barrow. I don't know if some one introduced them or what...
Almost certainly an artificial introduction, Goldie: https://landscapetrust.org.uk/brown-hai ... dale-aonb/
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Yes David, I think so too, If they have taken at Gaits Burrow and people have seen them , I never did, Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Monday 30th January 2023 – Times, they are a-changing…..

Until a couple of years ago, I would never have considered going out looking for butterflies in the month of January. Lately though, this has changed, and when today’s overcast weather forecast turned out to be hopelessly wrong (instead, it was sunny, 8c with 11mph winds) I reckoned it was worth an hour’s walk up the path in Park Wood, a couple of miles from my home.

At this time of year the sun doesn’t rise sufficiently high to light up the bulk of the path, but after 400m or so, there is an open clearing by a set of cottages:
30.PkWd(1).jpg
I was admiring the many snowdrops growing under the hedgerow when I suddenly noticed a Red Admiral fluttering weakly. It briefly came down on the dead bracken but then flew about 30 yards away on the far side of the cleared area. Unfortunately, in walking over to where I thought it had landed, I got my co-ordinates wrong and disturbed it, whereupon it flew some distance away into the shaded part of the woodland.

Amazingly however, on returning to the snowdrop patch there was another Red Admiral busily taking nectar from these flowers:
30.RA1(1).jpg
30.RA2(1).jpg
30.RA3(1).jpg
After a couple of minutes, it flew behind the trees and having walked round to the adjacent track I briefly watched it soar into the upper canopy of a conifer.

This is only the second time I’ve seen a January butterfly in the UK, and the first time I’ve managed to photograph one.

With several days of relatively mild & benign weather on the way (assuming the forecasters have got it right this time) it should surely be worth taking a few local walks in lightly wooded areas as clearly a few can be tempted out in late January & early February.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

The Admiral looks lovely on those Snow Drops David , a real photo to treasure :D :mrgreen: Goldie :)
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Goldie. Yes, it was a completely unexpected surprise. I've never seen any butterfly nectaring from snowdrops before. :shock:
trevor

Post by trevor »

When an image is posted of a Red Admiral on snowdrops there can be no dispute
about the time of year the shot was taken! Great stuff David.

Congrats,
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

A splendid find, David, and great shots of what has to be a very unusual juxtaposition of butterfly and flower. :)

Cheers,

Dave
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I can't say I've ever seen a butterfly on a Snowdrop. What a great series of shots that really epitomise the ability of the Red Admiral to overwinter on our shores these days! And so complementary to Vince's studies of overwintering eggs and Dave Miller's work on overwintering larvae. So much to learn and study ... !

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:17 pmWhen an image is posted of a Red Admiral on snowdrops there can be no dispute about the time of year the shot was taken! Great stuff David.
I’d like to think not, Trevor. There were no other obvious nectar sources so I suppose it had no choice.

Return to “Personal Diaries”