Purple Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 13

Some lucky peeps are already off the mark in 2023! But for those of us still missing the butterflies and counting down the days here are a few more fabulous Favorites to pick through! :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Re: Purple Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by millerd »

I managed to look out for this species locally in 2022, but I've yet to see one at ground level here for more than a second or two. However, Bookham is far more reliable for this, and on 6th July I found several there flying up and down a sheltered bit of path (some of you will know where I mean!) and regularly landing on the grass and bracken. Undersides were easy to come by, and some further excitement was engendered by one or two opening up - but always at the wrong angle to the light, which dampened things down somewhat...
PH1 060722.JPG
male
male
female
female
Dave
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I got my biggest surprise and I think one of my best last year when I went into Blean Woods in June looking for the Heath Fritillary, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this flash of purple on a grass stalk, usually I've seen them in the car park not in the wood itself, in the car park there's three oak trees that they're always seen on usually about tea time so I wasn't looking there until later, it was the first time I'd seen one opened winged so I was really pleased . :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6945.jpeg
IMG_6936.jpeg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

As usual, they were relatively easy to come by if I arrived at Bookham early enough to find them rehydrating on the morning dew (although not as many as in previous years), but my favourite shot comes from this one who stopped off on what was presumably its maiden voyage up to the canopy when I was craning my neck trying to see the Emperors who were already up there.
Purple Hairstreak, Bookham Commons #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Purple Hairstreak

This was another of those species that I struggled to get decent shots this year. For some reason (too hot, too dry?) they weren’t coming down at Bentley Wood despite wandering the paths first thing in the morning and checking all the fronds of Bracken. They also weren’t putting on a good show at Alners Gorse – although I did see plenty they were all staying up high and none ventured to lower altitudes. Still whilst at Alners I managed to find a Whitter to photograph and so I headed for home happy only for this Purp to appear in one of the Oaks in the hedge next to my parked car! I watched it while my coffee cooled and grabbed a few distant shots of it when it ventured to its lowest point.
16-07-2022 40.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

The advanced season meant that I missed the emergence of the small colony in our butterfly garden, as we were away on a High Brown mission. Then the heatwave struck but needs must - they will find moisture/minerals somewhere in this drought.... this one was taking goodness from an acorn on one of our/their oaks.
DSC05912 (2).JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Only got a couple of poor, distance shots of this species in the UK, but I got a much closer audience in the French Alps, with several very fresh examples settling low down on a fruit tree, presumably to escape the heatwave that was in full force at that time:
2.FrPrpHstk(1).jpg

Return to “Purple Hairstreak”