Red Admiral - Favourite Photo of 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 14
Sorry for the late posting again this week...the joys of a new TV; it's a SMART TV and so smart it's taken 2 hours to set up :roll: :x Anyway...

Another week passes and we get one step closer to the start of the season proper! To be honest I can’t wait this year as recently it has been very dreary and miserable for what feels like an age now!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Bertl

Re: Red Admiral - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by Bertl »

Never seen any Red Admirals till end of July into August. The buddleia in my Aberdeen garden was their favourite spot. All photos taken in my garden apart from one taken at Logie Steading end of September.
Attachments
DSC_8382.jpeg
DSC_7355.jpeg
DSC_5767.jpeg
DSC_4792.jpeg
DSC_3856.jpeg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw most of the Red Admirals last year in Castle park Tankerton , the first two shots were taken there on the 19th June, they enjoyed the shade of the tree's and and bush's there because of the heat, I also took a shot in May in my Daughter's garden on the Boules Mauve again :D Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6723.jpeg
IMG_6651.jpeg
IMG_5943.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

One individual definitely comes straight to mind from 2022 - the only butterfly I've ever seen in January, which appeared on 29th of the month.
RA1 290122.JPG
It did mean that this species' season lasted near enough ten months, with the last one flying on 25th November.
RA3 251122.JPG
The latter individual was seen on more than one day in November, busily laying eggs along a strip of sheltered low-growing nettles. I am still following the slow progress of the resulting caterpillars even now... :)

It was perhaps noteworthy that on 18th of the month I managed to photograph three out of four life stages of this species - I have still yet to find a wild Red Admiral chrysalis. :)
egg
egg
caterpillar
caterpillar
the same butterfly as the one seen a week later - the last of 2022
the same butterfly as the one seen a week later - the last of 2022
Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

This freshly minted one in the middle of November helped to extend my season :)
Red Admiral, Lancing Ring #14.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

Lots to choose from this year but I particularly like this Red Admiral underside shot feeding on cotoneaster in our butterfly garden in May.
DSC02004 (2).JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Red Admirals seemed to have a reasonable summer, turning up at most places that I visited, but were notably absent around my patch later in the year.
Red Admiral - Oversley Wood 22.06.2022
Red Admiral - Oversley Wood 22.06.2022
Red Admiral - Silverdale 31.07.2022
Red Admiral - Silverdale 31.07.2022
Red Admiral - Arnside 03.08.2022
Red Admiral - Arnside 03.08.2022
Cheers,

Neil.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

This time last year I monitored Red Admiral early stages at my local hot-spot in Ifield Meadows, Crawley. For some reason there is usually one leaf which is favoured above all others and has numerous eggs.
Red Admiral eggs - Crawley, Sussex 17-Jan-2022
Red Admiral eggs - Crawley, Sussex 17-Jan-2022
There are 6 eggs here, 5 of which gradually hatched over the next 4 weeks.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Red Admiral

The Carter Clan went on a family holiday to North Wales in mid-August in 2022. I took my camera and delighted myself in enjoying the more common butterflies and seeing what dropped in unexpectedly. I’d often take my camera and have a quick look around the fields and grounds and fields of the property we were staying in and the trip actually through up quite a few of my Faves for the year and this one was one of them. The girls (my wife included) would often play Pool in the games shack after breakfast and before we headed out for the day. On this particular morning the sun was shining and as I started my rounds a Red Admiral dropped down to feed on the sparse Buddleia that grew on the corner of the Games Shack. Whilst the chuckles and laughs rang out from within the shack the sun warmed my back without and refracted pleasingly off the chocolate black of the butterfly giving it a glistening inky appearance gloriously. I remember giving a hugely contented sigh and I took a few shots capturing the moment forever both on the memory card and also in my memory. Hence its selection as my fave for this species.
6 RA DSC_0299 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Always impossible to resist photographing a Red Admiral, and I did so many times in 2022, with this one from the National Botanic Garden of Wales on 17th September being my favourite:
17.RedAd(1).jpg
PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

Trent Bridge, Nottingham August 17th 2022
A visit to Nottingham to watch cricket, with a walk along by the river, Trent Bridge, Nottingham before the cricket started.
The riverbank roughly opposite the Nottingham Forest Football Club, some species such as Birds-foot trefoil and Purple Loosestrife, useful for butterfly life cycles & nectar source.
A small patch of Nettles was growing out of a small space, near a concrete abutment, next to the Trent Bridge.
Looked to me like a Red Admiral caterpillar
Looked to me like a Red Admiral caterpillar
Kind Regards,

Return to “Red Admiral”