Painted Lady - Favourite Photo of 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 12

Happy New Year everyone! What a way to start the New Year with a trio of fabulous looking butterflies to make your favourite selection for! Here’s hoping that everyone has a tremendous 2023, may it be a butterfly bonanza! :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Re: Painted Lady - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by Goldie M »

I was lucky last year with the Painted lady, I think it was a good year for them , On the 17th of May I got a shot of one on the Boules Mauve again, in my Daughters garden , it was a side shot and because it was on the Boules Mauve I was really pleased ,( incidentally that plant is now in my new garden and doing very well) :D
Then on the 19th of June I was in Castle Park Tankerton when I saw these perfect Painted Ladies and got an opened wing shot, the day was hot but the Ladies were enjoying the heat. :D
Attachments
IMG_6008.jpeg
IMG_6693.jpeg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Painted Ladies had a good year by all acounts and showed up fairly regularly for me, including at my local spots and in my garden, something that only happens here in their better years.

My favourite shot therefore is probably this one, taken on the buddliea in my front garden...
Painted Lady - Coverdale 30.06.2022
Painted Lady - Coverdale 30.06.2022
...although I also quite like this shot taken up at Warton Crag when we stopped off there on our way up to Arnside amonth later.
Painted Lady - Warton Crag 31.07.2022
Painted Lady - Warton Crag 31.07.2022
Cheers,

Neil
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Fairly scarce in the garden this year, though this one was around unusually late, on 28 October.
P1010972.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

This one provided a nice distraction at Pulborough Brooks whilst on a quest for some Brown Hairstreak
Painted Lady, RSPB Pulborough Brooks.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

An excellent year for this species on the hill. Plenty of photographic opportunities.
The two below were my favourites out of many.

Beacon Hill, Wiltshire.
28th July
28th July
3rd August
3rd August
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Fewer Painted Ladies for me this year (22') and very few pictures ,think this one was taken while i was on a Common Blue hunt at (my now)innaccessible (?) Grizzled Skipper site fairly close to home ..................... on Common Fleabane which has all but swamped the site!
Allan.W.
P1140752 (3).JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

By no means a spectacular year for the Painted Lady on my local patch with only a couple of dozen seen all season, mostly in May and June. In fact the peak count (only 5...) was on the first day I saw them (17th May), during their initial migration. These were all rather worn after their long journey.
PL7 170522.JPG
Later arrivals were a little better.
PL1 060622.JPG
PL1 260522.JPG
Later still, these ones looked as if they might have been more locally hatched.
PL2 180622.JPG
PL1 230622.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Not a particularly impressive year for this species. I doubt I saw more than 100. This very accommodating individual spent considerable time on my neighbour's path on 24th May:
24.PL1(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Painted Lady

It was a pretty good year for Painted Lady butterflies and I managed to find them at various sites across the country, including in North Wales which is where my favourite one came from. Up until this point I thought that it was going to be really tricky to select my favourite for this species. Then when we were visiting Chirk Castle near Llangollen I spotted a Painted Lady fluttering around the flower borders. I leant in and I was really chuffed to see that it was an ab.ocellata (blue centres in the ‘antemarginal’ spots) as this was only my second or third that I’d seen and so my decision became much easier.
5 PL DSC_0212 (2) - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Medard

Post by Medard »

Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui) in my garden.
APR_2148.jpg

La belle Dame (Vanessa cardui) on my visit to the Marais de Brouage-Moëze, Charente Maritime, France 19-09-202

https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/
Attachments
APR_2805_00001.jpg
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

I found it curious how the Painted Lady never quite followed through from its initial arrivals in May and June, despite the extremely hot weather in July. This was one of the earlier arrivals in our butterfly garden, on the 17th May, and remained nectaring on these chives for most of the day.
Painted Lady nectaring on chives.JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Phil Bowler wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:09 pm I found it curious how the Painted Lady never quite followed through from its initial arrivals in May and June, despite the extremely hot weather in July.
That extreme heat might well be the reason they didn't become more numerous since its exactly those type of conditions they are escaping from during their northward migration!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

David M wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:33 am Not a particularly impressive year for this species. I doubt I saw more than 100.
That just goes to show how our expectations differ David, that would be a very good number for me in any but the most prolific migration years.

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

I guess living near the coast helps, Neil. Even in that really poor year I saw about a dozen.
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

bugboy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:45 pm
Phil Bowler wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:09 pm I found it curious how the Painted Lady never quite followed through from its initial arrivals in May and June, despite the extremely hot weather in July.
That extreme heat might well be the reason they didn't become more numerous since its exactly those type of conditions they are escaping from during their northward migration!
That's what I suspected too.

Return to “Painted Lady”