Annual 2022 Competition

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
David M

Re: Annual 2022 Competition

Post by David M »

So pleased that image took the award. The first time I saw it, it just 'screamed' at me, as if it was alive.

Like Katrina's winning effort last year, I'd have been hugely surprised (and a tad disappointed) had this one not won gold this year.

Excellent work, Mr Miller. :D
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Let's face it, there was no competition this year :) !
Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

The amazing fact about your winning shot is that a fraction of a second either way
you would have missed the chance. But everything was spot on!
Like Katrina's picture last year there was only one winner.

All the best,
Trevor.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Many thanks to all of you for your congratulations and enthusiasm for that Brimstone photo, and to the judges for devoting their time and choosing it over and above all the other sparkling entries this year. If I had to select a winner, I'd likely be here for the rest of the year still undecided, but like Neil I do like Max Anderson's cloud of Adonis Blues. You really have to look closely to convince yourself that they are not moving... :)
Seasons Greetings to you all!
Christmas card.JPG
Dave
Max Anderson

Post by Max Anderson »

Huge congrats Dave - an absolutely fantastic shot and well deserved winner!

Well done to all other winning entries - some really great photos in there and a nice bit of variety too.

Thanks all for the kind comments on my shots - and a particular thanks to Pete, Ben, Guy and Vince for judging.
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

As someone who often finds himself with the wrong side of his point-n-click facing the intended subject, I have to just stand back in awe at the quality of photos on show here.

Dave, I reckon that's your once in a lifetime shot .... but please try and prove me wrong ! In my mind's eye I can see that same scene having been played out for hundreds or thousands of years in the past (well before any signs of human habitation were included in that glorious vista).

It's amazing the power a single photo can have to transport the viewer. Max's cloud of Adonis Blues looks similarly timeless to me.

On a technical front, I had to check with my photographer pal Tim how Kallross managed to get such a stunning 3D effect. Amazing. I still don't understand after he told me though. Something to do with using a telephoto lens and background/foreground compression.

Neil's Duchess is a great photo in itself, but it's even more powerful to me because that wonderful scene is just out of reach. There are masses of wild primroses on Wolstonbury Hill in Spring but sadly without any Dukes.

I'm also very jealous of Phil's Clouded Yellows.

I could go on about how looking at these intrinsically reminds us of the relentless passing of the seasons and our own brief time on the planet, but I'll stop before going too much further up my own fundament.
David M

Post by David M »

zigzag_wanderer wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:00 pm...I'm also very jealous of Phil's Clouded Yellows.
Me too; it's an almost unique shot.

I guess Dave M's winning photo just stood out because of the overall context, especially as everything was in good focus (even the horizon).
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Well done all the winners and also the other non- winners. Some stunning photos all round.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I guess that now Lollipops are out and Crowd Shots are in. The patience and skill that these photos demonstrate improves every year and as always amazes me. Congratulations everyone ..... and a happy New Year to all.

Return to “Competitions”