Brown Argus – Favourite Photo 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 2

Where did that week go? If it carries on like this it’ll be the new season before we know it!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Here we go!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
P.S. You might want to select your Favourite first so you can save it for the grand finale in 20 weeks time…
Goldie M

Re: Brown Argus – Favourite Photo 2022

Post by Goldie M »

Once more at Temple Ewell, I found the Brown Argus , this time it was earlier, May the 27th , I was happy to see it having missed it for a couple of years I'd seen one previously to at Seasalter but not with open wings. Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_6243.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

The individual that stands out for me this year was this one seen locally on 2nd July. It was a splendid example of ab. snelleni.
BA2 020722.JPG
Dave
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Brown Argus were in short supply locally for me this season ,with very few appearing in Orlestone forest and on my local " lockdown" site which has been excellent over the past 3 seasons ...................but fewer this year .
Only managed a couple of visits to Lydden/Temple Ewell where there were a few about ,but again , probably down from recent seasons ,ditto Dungeness ,these are the best i managed ..................very lightly marked individuals.
Allan.W.
P1140986.JPG
P1110337 (2).JPG
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

A beautiful fresh female on the 5th May was the first of many seen this year. Cotley Hill, Wiltshire.
Brown Argus 5 May.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Due to various reasons, I did not get out to check out my local spots as much as usual this year and so I am aware that I may well have missed seeing a number of species at what would have been their best times around here. Brown Argus are always hit and miss around here and some years I have failed to find any at all, so given that, along with fewer outings, I was pleased to find one during one of my few visits to Castle Hills by Solihull this year.
Brown Argus - Castle Hills 28.05.2022
Brown Argus - Castle Hills 28.05.2022
Cheers,

Neil.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brown Argus

This was taken at The Devenish back in early August whilst in between Shipton Bellinger visits. I chose it as don’t have that many shots of this butterfly from this particular angle. My usual ‘arrangement’ of this species is side on with wings closed or from above with wings open and from this range and position I felt a more intimate connection with the butterfly.
2 BA 06-08-2022 21.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Didn't take too many of this species in 2022. This one at Rodborough Common on 14 May is of the freshest that I saw:
14.BrArg(1).jpg
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

I particularly like this photo of a Brown Argus taken in our butterfly garden, due to the unusual
Brown Argus showing interesting iridesence.JPG
iridescence picked out.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Seemed like a poor year for them this year. This is one of the freshest and most well marked I found at a new site for me near Burpham village.
Brown Argus male, Perry Hill.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Brown Argus”