October 2022

Discussion forum for sightings.
Matsukaze

Re: October 2022

Post by Matsukaze »

I hadn't seen either since early August.
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

Two Red Admirals and a Peacock at work today.

Moth-wise a fresh-looking Silver-y and what I'm thinking must be a flighty Crimson Speckled. This was initially outside but I saw it nip into House #4 where I luckily found it again. Only managed one snap before it was off out again.
Attachments
DSC00650 (2).JPG
DSC00657 (2).JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 20th - Parkmill, Gower:

Speckled Wood 3
Red Admiral 2
Small Copper 1
Comma 1

There was also a large, whitish butterfly flying at a distance away from me which was either a Large White or a female Brimstone.
20.SpckWd2(1).jpg
20.SmCopp(1).jpg
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Certainly a Crimson Speckled, Zig-zag. There is an unprecedented number turning up over recent days. The only UK sighting I've had was on Scilly some years back. Some amazing migrant moths turning up at the moment including a couple new to the UK.

Also saw a report this morning of a Lang's Short-tailed Blue that had flown through somebody's window in Berkshire & photographed. The same report said they had been much more numerous than normal in Spain, so possibly associated with the same airflow. Also record numbers of Pallid Swifts (birds!) being reported in the UK & near continent.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

aeshna5 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:56 am Certainly a Crimson Speckled, Zig-zag. There is an unprecedented number turning up over recent days. The only UK sighting I've had was on Scilly some years back. Some amazing migrant moths turning up at the moment including a couple new to the UK.

Also saw a report this morning of a Lang's Short-tailed Blue that had flown through somebody's window in Berkshire & photographed. The same report said they had been much more numerous than normal in Spain, so possibly associated with the same airflow. Also record numbers of Pallid Swifts (birds!) being reported in the UK & near continent.
Pete's gonna have to update his new book before he's even published it!
Some addictions are good for the soul!
zigzag_wanderer

That's great to know Aeshna, thanks - I'll certainly keep 'em peeled for any other rare migrants !

I assume the Silver-y is a fresh migrant too, albeit much more common.

In the houses themselves I'm seeing good numbers of Rusty-dot Pearl and lots of Diamond-back. I did see a Rush Veneer too a couple of days back but it's a rare thing to see a larger moth these days.

As the weather's been good I was able to sit outside at lunchtimes this week. I generally still have a male Common Darter for company, sitting a few breeze blocks down from me, but I'd have to say last year was better overall for dragonflies. Hoverflies seem to be having a late season flourish, although with a limited number of species, Still seem to be decent numbers of Marmalade Flies for instance (.....even just writing "Marmalade Flies" makes me want to break into Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds !).
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Two Clouded Yellows, Four Small Coppers, a Red Admiral, four Speckled Woods and a couple of Whites... and it’s the end of October. I’m hoping that someone will confirm that the Small Copper is a caeruleopunctata!
Attachments
53DD01BD-1BA9-497A-A8D3-55C863F8B22D.jpeg
E3C64D68-7347-454E-A6A8-AB81EB92BBCB.jpeg
C0942369-7220-48BC-9147-5F18D27AB2F5.jpeg
David M

Post by David M »

aeshna5 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:56 am...Also saw a report this morning of a Lang's Short-tailed Blue that had flown through somebody's window in Berkshire & photographed...
Even in this annus mirabilis for migrants that's a stand-out. :mrgreen:

Here it is: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/uk-la ... st-4396595
David M

Post by David M »

Deborah wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:48 am...I’m hoping that someone will confirm that the Small Copper is a caeruleopunctata
Sure is, Deborah. :)
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Thanks David. A great way to finish this butterfly year for me!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Well, I can't compete with such exotica, but today's (29th) unusually warm sunshine did produce a few sightings on my local patch near Heathrow. Two Small Whites were dancing round each other, but failed to stop for a photo when they broke off their gyrations; three Red Admirals were seen in well-separated spots, but all were flying due south at speed and didn't pause for a second; a Peacock was spotted in a neighbour's front garden unable to find a suitable flower to settle and nectar on. However, I did manage some shots of the two Holly Blues I found. One was on a bramble flower - this photo looks more like late July than late October with the lush green foliage, cluster of flowers and developing fruit.
HB1 291022.JPG
The other was more seasonably high up on the ivy and looked much fresher.
HB2 291022.JPG
HB3 291022.JPG
Finally, I managed to find where a moth had gone to ground - as usual I have no idea what this one is.
moth 291022.JPG
Dave
zigzag_wanderer

Hi Dave,

Your moth is a Rush Veneer.

As usual, your local patch still delivers late into the season. I haven't seen a Holly Blue for about 2 months !

I did have a single male Brimstone and Red Admiral in the garden today though.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Did some birding in north Kent today with a friend. I did keep my eye out for some of these late season random wanderers but just two Red Admirals seen. No pictures but one was definitely an ovipositing female.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Just seen your Crimson Speckled Zig -Zag ..............very envious ! what a find ! they seem to be having an excellent year with many records including 5 different individuals at Dungeness a couple of days back on the same day. They,re, also turning up in local traps (not mine unfortunately !) weather permitting ,might have a trip to Dungeness tomorrow ..............you never Know !
Also a few Deaths heads hawks turning up as well .
Allan.W.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

A footnote to the last post ...............A single Q of S .Frit . reported (and photographed !) today at the Walmer site.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Final day total from yesterday ,from Dungeness OBS..................... 12 ,Crimson Speckled moths ,curiously with 6 traps running ,none to light . Allan.W.
zigzag_wanderer

Cheers Allan,

I have a bit of a lunchtime routine if the weather is decent. I sit outside on a pile of breeze blocks, normally finishing my lunch just after 13:15, which gives me 30 minutes to see what's about.

If I can't see much outside, I'll walk round the corner and have a look inside houses #4 and #5 to see if anything has popped in to exploit the warmer conditions and/or the various plants on offer.

On Friday, I saw a white moth fly up from a clump of weeds between #4 and #5. I knew it was worth following as I haven't seen any white moths for a fair time. I half wondered if it could be a very white second-brood Mother Of Pearl as they loved this particular location up to mid September.

It was extremely flighty, landing on the outside of #4 twice, but only staying in one spot for a few seconds, finally flying round the corner to the back of the house by an oak-lined drainage ditch. I thought I'd lost it but that side of the house is still open at the top and I thought it may well have been tempted in. So I went all the way back to the entrance and down to the far corner (old bed of mixed lavender). Couldn't see anything but thankfully it flew up and landed on the side of the house. I crept along the lavender bed and took one record shot. As I inched closer to get a better shot it flew out again.

Thank goodness I got that record snap !

Everyone else sits in the canteen or their cars but I like to make the most of the weather while it lasts.

But in short if anyone sees a flighty, very white looking day-flying moth - follow it !
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 23rd, Parkmill, Gower - Single Red Admiral seen in the light woodland behind the Gower Inn pub in Parkmill:
23.RedAdm(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

The last day of the month, and possibly the last bit of butterfly weather - but you never know... :)

Sunny and quite warm (around 16 degrees) on my local patch this morning, and I quickly located a Holly Blue (probably one of the two I saw on Saturday, as it was on the same sprig of bramble!).
HB1 311022.JPG
After an hour or two's walking I had nearly returned to my starting point when I spotted a female Small White making the most of the dandelions.
SW2a 311022.JPG
It remains to be seen whether anything survives into November - I found the same Holly Blue again, but it was now sitting in a shaded spot and looking at its condition I do wonder about its chances of making it through any of the forecast more adverse weather.
HB4 311022.JPG
Dave
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

I managed a Red Admiral (possibly 2 different individuals) & a Speckled Wood (possibly my latest ever?) in Osterley Park gardens yesterday.

Return to “Sightings”