Two tailed pasha Gibraltar

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
OwenE

Two tailed pasha Gibraltar

Post by OwenE »

Hi. Im hoping to do a quick visit to Gibraltar next year for first brood two tailed pasha and the apes. When would be the optimum time for a spring visit?
selbypaul

Re: Two tailed pasha Gibraltar

Post by selbypaul »

Hi Owen
I don't know about the specific location of Gibraltar. But I've seen Two-Tailed Pasha three times in three different locations.

First in Nice (France) in the first week of June 2019. Second on the shores of Lake Garda (Italy) in early September 2019. And third just to the west of Perpignan (France) in the first week of June 2022.

The phenology information suggests they are doubled brooded, May/June and August-October, so my sightings back this up.

Hope this helps
Paul
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

Thank you. In some ways the September brood might be better for other wildlife but I’d like to go earlier than that so may/June it is.
False Apollo

Post by False Apollo »

I saw Two-tailed Pasha in Gibraltar in the botanical gardens. However, the first two I saw were from the car whilst queuing to cross over from mainland Spain to Gibraltar. They just sailed slowly over the car in the warm sunshine showing well in flight. This was in late July a few years ago.

Regards
Mike
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

They hilltop right at the top of the Rock, so if you time it right you can get monkeys and two-tailed pashas together. Unfortunately, I can't remember the best timing for the first generation. In any case, I lived there in 1983 and 1985, and the phenology might well have changed since then. In the Málaga region, they have been numerous in July in recent years, suggesting a shift to an earlier timetable.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

Thank you both
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

I saw one in late October/early November 2012 in Gibraltar near the Botanic Garden.
jasonsargerson

Post by jasonsargerson »

Hello Owen

I have visited Gibraltar looking for Pashas, some time ago now, but in September. The spring brood is not supposed to be as numerous as the later summer brood, so it may be more difficult to locate the Pashas.

Places to look include the top of the rock - when you get off the Cable Car, bear right and explore the ramparts, don't take any risks though.

In the Alameda Gardens, the Pashas are at the far end of the gardens usually - try the South African beds, the Wellington Monument and the Wild Gibraltar Woodland - on the Prickly Pear Cactus. Bear in mind the Pasha likes to perch, usually higher than head height, so look up to the overhanging trees and shrubs.

I attach a few photos - two taken at the top of the rock - probably 1998 or 2002 - slides, the others in the Alameda Gardens - South African beds and on the Prickly Pear Cactus.
Attachments
Pasha, The Rock, Gibraltar
Pasha, Alameda Gardens, 19.09.06
Pasha, Alameda Gardens, 19.09.06
Pasha, Alameda Gardens, 18.09.11
Pasha, Alameda Gardens, 18.09.11
Medard

Post by Medard »

Hello Owen.
The site below will give a great deal of information on Charaxes jasius. type in Charaxes jasius then click on thumb nail,this will give the sightings map as far as Gibraltar, click on one of the squares for data. hope this is of help. 
https://jamesgibbs6929.zenfolio.com/?q=(Charaxes%20jasius

PS September is probable the best time to see this species.

https://www.inaturalist.org/places/hera ... s%2Bjasius
Attachments
MAY_8883 Two-tailed Pasha (Charaxes jasius).jpg
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

September feels a long way away and my days off potentially change then ruling out the long weekend approach but really does sound like the time to go. Thanks everyone. Especially for the gorgeous photos.
OwenE

Post by OwenE »

Saw one out of the blue in Cyprus this week which was a very unexpected bonus. Shall have to look what I can replace the spring trip with

Return to “Overseas”