Adonis Blue - Favourite Photo of 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 1

Right then let’s kick things off and get started!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Here we go!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
P.S. You might want to select your Favourite first so you can save it for the grand finale in 20 weeks time…
Goldie M

Re: Adonis Blue - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by Goldie M »

I took my photo at Temple Ewell on the 23rd August, it was a lovely day and the Adonis were every where, I was pleased to get my first shot of them for years . Goldie :D
Attachments
IMG_7574.jpeg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Goldie M wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:34 pm ...I was pleased to get my first shot of them for years . Goldie...

That must have been so satisfying, Goldie - they are lovely to see, particularly when there are lots of them. :)

I missed the second brood this year, but had seen fresh ones at Denbies in the spring. These are probably my favourites from a trip there on 12th May.
AB2 120522.JPG
AB5 120522.JPG
Dave
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

Very difficult, having Adonis Blue close to home means that I have several to choose from. I have decided to choose a photograph of a Spring brood male taken early in the morning because it goes some way to doing justice to the butterfly’s colour.
Attachments
Adonis Blue, Therfield, 22 May
Adonis Blue, Therfield, 22 May
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

This season for one reason or other i was unable to get to any sites where the Adonis were on the wing ,bar one visit to Samphire Ho ! Where my pic was taken ,and one visit to Temple Ewell ,(where i was a bit early !) I,ll be trying a bit harder next season !
P1150174.JPG

Allan.W.
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Always on the lookout for super fresh individuals I was happy to find this male in mint condition on 16th August on Beacon Hill, Wiltshire
Adonis 16 Aug.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Adonis Blue

This was taken at Sidbury Hill/Duke Site back during the first brood of 2022. I like the shot because; the scaling on the fore wing is visible, it was my first for the year but mainly because of the excellent company both it and I were keeping that day as I was introducing Dave to this brilliant yet relatively under visited site. It had been a cracking day with all manner of species, in fact almost the full complement of those seen up to this date, the site really did me proud.
14-05-2022 51.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

14th May at Rodborough Common was the only time I saw this species in the UK in 2021:
14.Adonis2(1).jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

Male Adonis Blue. Tilshead, Wilts. 29.5.2022
Attachments
P1330161.jpg
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I saw both broods of Adonis Blue this year with both being single occasions at Old Winchester Hill when we were visiting our daughter in Emsworth.

Both occasions were a mix of cloud and sun with a fair breeze blowing across the hill which made taking decent photos a bit challenging.
The first brood were seen on 6th June which was probably a bit late but I believe that OWH is a late site and there were reasonable numbers in good condition.
Adonis Blue - Old Winchester Hill 06.06.2022
Adonis Blue - Old Winchester Hill 06.06.2022
I saw the second brood three months later on 6th September. Given the hot and dry summer, particularly down south, I had wondered if I might be too late and I did indeed find most of those still flying to be worn and faded. I did manange however to find a few that were still in good nick.
Adonis Blue - Old Wincheaster Hill 06.09.2022
Adonis Blue - Old Wincheaster Hill 06.09.2022
Cheers,

Neil
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Bowler

Post by Phil Bowler »

I left it too late to travel down south following the excessive heatwave. Lardon Chase in Berkshire was barren on the 29th August but we did see 13 hangers on, only 3 of them male. This one was in the best condition, its iridescence nicely picked up by the chalk backdrop. There was very little flowering marjoram - or anything else - left for them to feed from.
Attachments
DSC06655 (2).JPG
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Time to catch up with favourite pics, I was still taking pictures of butterflies until very recently! So, Adonis Blue, not a vintage year for me this year. Either there was a poor emergence, or the weather didn't play ball. I think this is my best effort at capturing the electric blue of the male this year.
Adonis Blue male, Anchor Bottom.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!

Return to “Adonis Blue”