Generational & Seasonal Larval food plants for Painted Lady

PhilBJohnson

Generational & Seasonal Larval food plants for Painted Lady

Post by PhilBJohnson »

"The primary larval foodplant is thistles (Carduus spp. and Cirsium spp.). burdocks (Arctium spp.), Common Nettle (Urtica dioica), mallows (Malva spp.) and Viper's-bugloss (Echium vulgare) are also used"
Referenced: UK Butterflies October 4th 2022 9:04am

I had a May observation one year, of Painted Lady laying eggs on early nettle growth, but not an observed attempt, to over-winter in nettle tent. 
Did a Painted Lady butterfly larvae, attempt to over-frost winter in nettle tent?
Butterfly Conservation, might have presented, at one time, with just a good news story of Painted Lady, late summer, or Autumn migration south, but I had also found the butterflies roosting in October and November, with no long distance flight energy, below 17ºC.

One person remarked:

Not presenting the science study there, might have been like saying;

“all Painted Lady butterflies were female.”
Painted Lady Larva, in thistle tent.
October 9th 2019
<br />(This one did not over-winter, or hibernate). It might have been part of our native food chain.
Painted Lady Larva, in thistle tent.
October 9th 2019

(This one did not over-winter, or hibernate). It might have been part of our native food chain.
P.S. My reference was in past tense, in case of website update.
Kind Regards,
millerd

Re: Generational & Seasonal Larval food plants for Painted Lady

Post by millerd »

Hi Philip.

Painted Ladies are another fascinating species and there is still considerable ongoing research into their migratory behaviour. However, it is known that they cannot survive low temperatures at any stage of their life cycle and therefore cannot hibernate. I am sure I have seen the threshold temperature noted as being 4 degrees Celsius but cannot currently track down the source of that rather precise bit of data! :)

Their ability to "slow down" in the manner of Red Admirals is probably one area where research continues, but as they reproduce continually there could be an element of this response as temperatures drop - though the usual strategy is to migrate southwards in the autumn to keep up with warmer conditions. Certainly, a caterpillar found (as in your photo) in the second week of October must be quite unusual.

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Painted Lady”