Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Good to see you again today, Paul. What a great few days we've had; butterflying doesn't get much better than this!
Thanks, old Wolf. Plenty more news to come and I'm sure the Long-tailed Blues will wait for you.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

19 September 2022

Paul Atkin and I planned to perform a thorough search for the Long-tailed Blue on Worthing beach, heading westward from the base of George V Avenue. We failed miserably, never travelling further than a little more than 50 metres all day, such was the quality of the sport!

Although my day tally of 12 individuals was similar to the day before, those seen on both days were in the minority. A clear pattern was already emerging; this pattern would become ever clearer over the following days. Many individuals were staying for just a day and sometimes just for a few hours before disappearing, presumably departing southward. Again, I saw a LTB fly fast and low towards the shoreline, without being able to confirm that it definitely headed out over the water. Conversely, a few recognisable individuals have adopted a less adventurous strategy, hanging around for as much as four days (so far).

However, 'new' butterflies appear on site after noon each day, presumably arriving from inland Worthing. These new arrivals have consistently included the odd female, which is rapidly hunted down and mated. Today was no exception; Sue Broxham casually commented "I think there are two here" - indeed there were, until, to paraphrase the Spice Girls, two became one.
UKB LTB 1 Worthing seafront 19.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB 2 Worthing seafront 19.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB 3 Worthing seafront 19.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB 4 Worthing seafront 19.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB 5 Worthing seafront 19.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB 6 Worthing seafront 19.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB 7 Worthing seafront 19.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB 8 Worthing seafront 19.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB 9 Worthing seafront 19.9.22.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That was the most pathetic attempt at a transect I've ever attempted :lol:
Some addictions are good for the soul!
SarahM

Post by SarahM »

I have really enjoyed reading your PD and learning about 'your' LTBs Neil. Your most recent photos are gorgeous. Once again I find myself wishing I lived closer to the current action.

Sarah
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Paul. Congratulations on covering 500 metres yesterday.
Thanks, Sarah. I do feel very lucky living right on the Sussex coast. Perhaps a short break destination for you in the future, given that the Long-tailed Blue is likely to make this a near-annual event?
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

20 September 2022

Another great day out on Worthing beach, in the company of an increasing number of enthusiasts. My first pass of the hotspot to the immediate west of George V Avenue revealed just eight Long-tailed Blues, but included a lovely mint condition female. A search of the Tamarisk windbreaks to the west of the Sailing Club and onwards to Goring-by-Sea revealed that all of the individuals previously seen here had departed. However, a 'new' male arrived at the main hotspot after midday, bringing my day tally to nine. By the end of the day, I could only find six individuals here.

Although numbers were slightly down on previous days, I finally managed to observe what I had long hoped to see. I've been convinced of a reverse migration over The Channel for many years, having studied this species closely on British soil since 2013; the weight of circumstantial evidence had become overwhelming. But it was not until today, while standing out on the beach itself, that I actually saw LTBs fly out over the water, with a female (probably that seen earlier) departing at 11.45am, closely followed by a (probable) male at 11.50am. The final piece of the jigsaw was at last in place, giving me far more pleasure than yet more images of this fascinating species.

Clouded Yellow numbers, including two helice, were still holding up, but tomorrow would see a significant exodus.
UKB LTB female (1) Worthing beach 20.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB female (2) Worthing beach 20.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB male (1) Worthing beach 20.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB male (2) Worthing beach 20.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB male (3) Worthing beach 20.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB male (4) Worthing beach 20.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB male (5) Worthing beach 20.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB female (3) Worthing beach 20.9.22.jpg
UKB Clouded Yellow helice, Worthing beach 20.9.22.jpg
UKB Worthing beach LTB hotspot 22.9.22.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: For the first female LTB image.
That shot would be a little more bearable if she wasn't mint fresh. :evil:

Another great day today!
Trevor.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Trevor. I think we've all done rather well of late! But so sad to see the rainy gloom over Worthing today. :(
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

21 September 2022

An early sweep along Worthing beach, west of Gearge V Avenue, revealed only 6 Long-tailed Blue individuals, which was consistent with my count at the end of the previous day. However, once again, the pattern observed over previous days was repeated, with the arrival (presumably from Worthing's gardens and allotments inland) of recently emerged butterflies during the early afternoon, bringing the day tally to 10. And again, this movement of LTBs to the coastline included a female which was promptly mated.

It also became clear that a number of mint-conditioned males from this cohort only hung around on the beach for about an hour, disappearing, never to be seen again. Today was also marked by a large exodus of Clouded Yellow, with a greater than 50% reduction in numbers; I suspect that these also took advantage of the perfect weather to fly south.

As an aside, please don't give any grief to Adur & Worthing Council, which is currently trimming the Tamarisk 'hedge' along the seafront. This non-native plant is grown to provide a windbreak and plays no part in the LTB's ecology, other than providing a convenient perch. Their senior ranger took the time to consult with me before the work went ahead, to ensure that there would be no negative impact on the species - there won't be.
UKB LTB 1 Worthing beach 21.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB 2 Worthing beach 21.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB 3 Worthing beach 21.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB 4 Worthing beach 21.9.22.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

22 September 2022

It had to happen, so after five glorious days of Long-tailed Blue action on Worthing beach, things were much quieter on 22 September; unsurprising, given the overcast conditions throughout the morning. When the sun eventually broke through in the afternoon, I could only muster a count of five LTBs, most being recognisable as long-stayers, although one male in very good condition had been seen earlier. I watched the courtship and pairing of Small Copper on the garden wall of one of the seafront properties and there were still a few Clouded Yellow whizzing about, but there was clearly going to be a lull in the action as the weather finally broke. Only time will tell if the party is over, but I suspect the fun will continue when the weather picks up again, probably with fewer fireworks.

It was good to bump into Gary Linney, who I haven't seen for a while. While we were chatting, I was surprised to hear that there's apparently been much speculation about the fabulous Queen of Spain action in Kent being attributable to a release. I suppose that it's only natural for people to be suspicious, given that the Monarch is occasionally set free at tacky weddings and that some species, particularly Marsh Fritillary and Glanville Fritillary (and some others), have clearly been released far and wide in recent years, but if one looks at the bigger picture and takes a more analytical approach to the interpretation of recent events, then it really is quite clear what's been going on.

If the distribution and timing of Queen of Spain and gorganus Swallowtail sightings is plotted out, then matched with weather patterns (starting with peak-heat on 19 July) and what's been happening in the Netherlands (e.g. large spike in gorganus Swallowtail numbers at precisely this time), then one is drawn to the conclusion that this has been an entirely natural event. The QoS migrant influx and successful breeding is particularly exciting, with a focus on the coastline running St Margaret's-Kingsdown-Walmer-Deal and inland across Barham Downs plain and onwards to West Blean/Thornden, although other parts of the SE have also been reached.

As always, only a small proportion of the butterflies which arrived will have been seen/recognised/reported, so the number of QoS which came over must have been substantial. The timing of events, including the length of life-cycle on British soil, bears a remarkable resemblance to the transient establishment near Chichester in 2009.

I must confess to suffering QoS FOMO, as I've felt compelled to monitor LTB activity in Sussex, rather than make the long journey to Walmer. Tim Bates' fantastic Pale Clouded Yellow (congratulations, Tim) very nearly tipped the balance, but I knew that relocating his butterfly would involve a minor miracle. However, I suspect that I'll be spending some time in Kent in the spring, as QoS might, just might, now be getting a permanent toehold in the UK.
UKB Small Copper pair, Worthing beach 22.9.22.jpg
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Neil Hulme wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:44 am 22 September 2022

It had to happen, so after five glorious days of Long-tailed Blue action on Worthing beach, things were much quieter on 22 September; unsurprising, given the overcast conditions throughout the morning. When the sun eventually broke through in the afternoon, I could only muster a count of five LTBs, most being recognisable as long-stayers, although one male in very good condition had been seen earlier. I watched the courtship and pairing of Small Copper on the garden wall of one of the seafront properties and there were still a few Clouded Yellow whizzing about, but there was clearly going to be a lull in the action as the weather finally broke. Only time will tell if the party is over, but I suspect the fun will continue when the weather picks up again, probably with fewer fireworks.

It was good to bump into Gary Linney, who I haven't seen for a while. While we were chatting, I was surprised to hear that there's apparently been much speculation about the fabulous Queen of Spain action in Kent being attributable to a release. I suppose that it's only natural for people to be suspicious, given that the Monarch is occasionally set free at tacky weddings and that some species, particularly Marsh Fritillary and Glanville Fritillary (and some others), have clearly been released far and wide in recent years, but if one looks at the bigger picture and takes a more analytical approach to the interpretation of recent events, then it really is quite clear what's been going on.

If the distribution and timing of Queen of Spain and gorganus Swallowtail sightings is plotted out, then matched with weather patterns (starting with peak-heat on 19 July) and what's been happening in the Netherlands (e.g. large spike in gorganus Swallowtail numbers at precisely this time), then one is drawn to the conclusion that this has been an entirely natural event. The QoS migrant influx and successful breeding is particularly exciting, with a focus on the coastline running St Margaret's-Kingsdown-Walmer-Deal and inland across Barham Downs plain and onwards to West Blean/Thornden, although other parts of the SE have also been reached.

As always, only a small proportion of the butterflies which arrived will have been seen/recognised/reported, so the number of QoS which came over must have been substantial. The timing of events, including the length of life-cycle on British soil, bears a remarkable resemblance to the transient establishment near Chichester in 2009.

I must confess to suffering QoS FOMO, as I've felt compelled to monitor LTB activity in Sussex, rather than make the long journey to Walmer. Tim Bates' fantastic Pale Clouded Yellow (congratulations, Tim) very nearly tipped the balance, but I knew that relocating his butterfly would involve a minor miracle. However, I suspect that I'll be spending some time in Kent in the spring, as QoS might, just might, now be getting a permanent toehold in the UK.

UKB Small Copper pair, Worthing beach 22.9.22.jpg
Hi Neil, a report on Twitter of 17 Long-tailed Blue's present along the seafront on a 200 yard stretch on the 22nd September. Sounds like some double-counting possibly?
I'm hoping to have a go tomorrow. Any news today much appreciated if you're in the area.
Thanks.
The plan is to set off from Wetherby in the early hours, hopefully score early enough at Walmer to give me a chance on the Blue's. I think the whole trip could go badly wrong but will give it a go.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Lawts

That count might reference an earlier day by mistake, when that sort of number was present along the entire seafront (e.g. 18 Sept), or it might be someone's count of sightings, rather than individuals - I'm not sure. The weather was poor for the front part of the day on 22 September, and I'm confident that only five individuals were present. However, it's like a conveyor belt, with new butterflies moving down to the coast when the weather is suitable, while some of those present along the beach are flying south.

I'm heading down to look this morning and will update this diary later today, but that might be after I return from work this evening (9pm). I will be on the beach tomorrow (Sunday) morning, before heading off to work soon after midday. It's an ambitious plan to cover both sites in a day, but do-able. Good luck.

BWs, Neil
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Neil Hulme wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:29 am Hi Lawts

That count might reference an earlier day by mistake, when that sort of number was present along the entire seafront (e.g. 18 Sept), or it might be someone's count of sightings, rather than individuals - I'm not sure. The weather was poor for the front part of the day on 22 September, and I'm confident that only five individuals were present. However, it's like a conveyor belt, with new butterflies moving down to the coast when the weather is suitable, while some of those present along the beach are flying south.

I'm heading down to look this morning and will update this diary later today, but that might be after I return from work this evening (9pm). I will be on the beach tomorrow (Sunday) morning, before heading off to work soon after midday. It's an ambitious plan to cover both sites in a day, but do-able. Good luck.

BWs, Neil
Thanks very much Neil.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Lawts
Very briefly - full report later - yes, all looks good. Only one at the start of the day, but nine by early/mid afternoon, although two mated females have already flown south. Best time to be there, 12.00-2.30pm.
BWs, Neil
Old Wolf

Post by Old Wolf »

Hello Neil, that is great news as my train rolls in at 11:56. I hope that our paths cross as I would like to shake your hand for all of the time you take to post the info needed as it is invaluable for those of us who live further afield. After two years of waiting, I am overjoyed that I will hopefully get to see an LTB at last.
I am hoping that their may even be some cloudies left about too as we rarely get them up my way and only ever having seen two (together) it is something I really would like to see properly. :D
I am keeping everything crossed and my three + hour train journey will be like torture tomorrow :D
Old Wolf.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Neil Hulme wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:11 pm Hi Lawts
Very briefly - full report later - yes, all looks good. Only one at the start of the day, but nine by early/mid afternoon, although two mated females have already flown south. Best time to be there, 12.00-2.30pm.
BWs, Neil
Yes thanks very much Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

This has been a wonderful climax to end the season with. Well done, Neil, both for the reports as well as the bugle call that has allowed several others to get in on the act.

I suspect there won't be too many more adults appearing now that October is almost upon us, and those that do will presumably scarper southwards almost immediately should conditions be favourable?
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, David. I'm delighted that both Old Wolf and Lawts managed to complete their missions ... and in style!
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

24 September 2022

Another fantastic day was spent on Worthing beach, enjoying the Long-tailed Blue spectacular. The morning was very quiet and a thorough search between the base of George V Avenue and the Sailing Club produced only a single male, recognisable by a clump of matted hairs at the rear of his thorax. With no other LTBs to play with, he had the run of the place; I saw him at various times along a 50 metre stretch.

Yet again, a similar pattern of behaviour was observed, with the first new arrival from inland Worthing appearing just after midday. Numbers quickly built to nine individuals, with two of the new arrivals being females, both of which were rapidly mated. As always in this species, the females initally appeared unreceptive and repeatedly took evasive action, whether that be short flights away from the male, or by twisting their abdomens to prevent the male from latching-on with his outsized claspers (they really are huge in LTB). I've seen this routine played out about a dozen times now and I've come to the conclusion that the females are probably testing the males for reproductive fitness - the boys really have to work for their prize.

After uncoupling, both females hung around for just long enough to pose for the camera, but they both then flew rapidly south across the shingle, never to be seen again. This was yet another day when a 'conveyor-belt' of LTBs passed through the site, with initially low numbers building and then diminishing. I later heard from Tony Hill that he'd seen a minimum of five individuals at Aldwick (near Bognor) beach, so I suspect that similar events are occurring over his way.

This same scenario is probably being played out elsewhere along the Sussex coast and the numbers involved must be far greater than we realise. Certainly, far to the south of us the return migration of LTB is being observed on a grand scale. Researchers from the University of Exeter have been recording large numbers passing over the Pyrenees for the past two weeks.

Visitor numbers were surprisingly low today, but I was delighted that Kirsty Gibbs turned up and finally fulfilled her ambition to see a mating pair of LTB; indeed, it was she who first spotted the male trying to woo the female in the second pairing. We egged him on with encouraging words and celebrated during and after the happy event. Kirsty takes some truly exceptional images and she really nailed this one!
UKB LTB pair (1) Worthing Beach 24.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB female, post-cop (1) Worthing Beach 24.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB male (1) Worthing Beach 24.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB female, post-cop (2) Worthing Beach 24.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB pair (2) Worthing Beach 24.9.22.jpg
UKB LTB male (2) Worthing Beach 24.9.22.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I reckon it would have been worth your while renting one of the beach huts down there, Neil, even if you don't live that far away. :) Your coverage of this year's LTB migration has been typically top-notch, and full of intriguing insights into the behaviour of this fascinating species of butterfly. It appears to be unusually adaptable, and clearly able to take advantage of the extreme heat across Europe that has characterised summer 2022 when other species appear to have been struggling. There's almost enough material here for a book on this one species alone... :) And I haven't even mentioned the photos - excellent as always and especially those of the females.

It was good to see you on Wednesday and catch up with you and the many others present for the Blues party that day. After a very strange summer for me, it felt like a return to normality.

All the best,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”