Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Katrina

Re: Pauline

Post by Katrina »

Very interesting to read about the second brood DUkes - thank you for posting :D
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice to see the second brood Duke, Pauline :) Would you believe that it was as far back as 2014 when we found one at Noar :shock: We miss meeting you during the hairstreak season too :)
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Katrina. It seems everyone is moving onto LTB now :D

Where does the time go Mike??????? Here's a shot of a 2nd brood Duke that I found way back in 2007!!!!
DSC04623a.jpg
I'd like to think my photos have improved somewhat since then! :lol:
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Wow, Pauline, time flies :shock: but there's nothing wrong with that 2007 second brood Duke shot :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Really interesting to see the second brood Duke Pauline :shock: 8) :mrgreen: Cracking find especially as I can't recall seeing any reports of other species showing a partial second brood - mind you there's still time yet :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Cheers Wurzel - good to know. I was of a mind to return today but was dragged off to a site in the opposite direction. Even by 9.00am butterfly activity was manic and photo opportunities were limited to anything that stayed still for more than 2 seconds. This included several Small Coppers and a lovely fresh Painted Lady:
P1290596ad.jpg
P1290599ad.jpg
P1290558ad.jpg
P1290593ad.jpg
P1290592ad.jpg
P1290592bd.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Even less time than usual today for the butterflies: a Pilates class in the morning and someone coming to remove a wasps nest from outside my kitchen window anytime soon. It was therefore most frustrating to find a gorgeous female BH just as I had to leave. She was very skittish and flew over a hedge. I reckon I could have found her again ......... if I'd had the time!!!!!!!
P1290644ad.jpg
P1290640ad.jpg
It was also interesting to watch one of those Robber Flies catch a grasshopper:
P1290622ad.jpg
P1290624ad.jpg
Lots of lovely Commas around today also:
P1290618ad.jpg
P1290613ad.jpg
The season is rapidly coming to an end for me and I am wondering if I can fit in a visit to the LTB before that happens. We'll see ............. but on that note, I was shown an image the other day taken by Kirsty (Gibbs) of a LTB. I have met Kirsty briefly but I doubt she reads this so if anyone is likely to see her I would be grateful if you could tell her that it is probably the very best image I have ever seen of a LTB. It was just amazing!!!!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love that first Brostreak shot Pauline 8) Were you at Noar Hill this morning as I was at Shipton and didn't see anyone until 10ish?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Sumptuous images of the Painted Lady underwings, Pauline. They really are quite colourful when you take a close look.

Second brood Dukes? How often do you see that? :shock:
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Wurzel. I was at my Pilates class in the morning. How are the BH doing at Shipton? I have been tempted to make another trip but have had little time. I've also seen few reports coming out of Steyning so far.

Thank you David. Every 7 or 8 years around here by my reckoning. Sadly, everything is being somewhat overshadowed at the moment by a(nother) court hearing regarding those cats!!!!!! You really wouldn't believe the lies that have been told :twisted: Whilst typing this a huge dragonfly has just flown into the room. TBC.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well, this is the young lady that so rudely interrupted my posting. I believe she is a female Southern Hawker and it proved quite difficult to persuade her to go back outside:
P1290709ad.jpg
I had been about to go on to say that there were quite a few butterflies about inbetween showers yesterday, especially Large Whites and Small Coppers:
P1290662ad.jpg
P1290670ad.jpg
P1290649ad.jpg
P1290685ad.jpg
Not sure if this snail has a name but it was quite large:
P1290683ad.jpg
but I believe this is a Hornet Mimic Fly:
P1290698ad.jpg
P1290704ad.jpg
and a lovely Silver Y moth - I always look at these very carefully after finding that migrant earlier in the season:
P1290607ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry to hear you're going through the mill at the moment Pauline :( On a more positive note love the Small Copper duo and I reckon you've got the IDs spot on 8) :D
Shipton has been a bit tricky this season - mainly down to the insane heat that we had as the butterflies were either up high or shading, still there two mighty fine females along the main hedge on my last visit so they're starting to follow the rule book again :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Wurzel - I'm pleased you (are one of the few that) got lucky on the BH hunt.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I've had a lot of waiting around to do recently - court phone calls, tradesmen etc. I couldn't get out, not even into the garden, (where I recently saw a Common Blue - only my second ever in the garden) because of the rain - not complaining! Anyway, when Mike made the comment 'where have the years gone', it got me thinking. The nearest I could get to a butterfly was to look at my photos over the last 15 years. Simply for my amusement I decided to pull out a selection by species. They are not all the best. Some were taken in the very early days, and some species (eg Large Blue) I only had a couple of photos so they are not included. Some were included because I like them or because I thought they were representative of the species. It was done purely for fun and there are surely some errors (you may find some Large Whites in with the Small Whites etc). If anyone finds them of interest then that is a bonus.
Adonis Blue.jpg
Black Hairstreak 2.jpg
Black Hairstreak.jpg
Brimstone.jpg
Brown Argus.jpg
Brown Hairstreak.jpg
Chalkhill Blue 2.jpg
Chalkhill Blue.jpg
Clouded Yellow.jpg
Comma.jpg
Common Blue 2.jpg
Common Blue.jpg

Dark Green Fritillary.jpg
Dingy Skipper.jpg
Duke of Burgundy.jpg
Essex Skipper.jpg
European Swallowtail.jpg
Gatekeeper.jpg
Gatekeeper2.jpg
Glanville Fritillary.jpg
Grayling.jpg
Green Hairstreak.jpg
Green-veined White.jpg
Grizzled Skipper.jpg
Heath Fritillary.jpg
Holly Blue.jpg
Large Skipper.jpg
Large White.jpg
Long-tailed Blue.jpg
Last edited by Pauline on Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lulworth Skipper.jpg
Map.jpg
Marbled White.jpg
Meadow Brown.jpg
Orange-tip.jpg
Painted Lady.jpg
Peacock.jpg
Purple Emperor.jpg
Purple Hairstreak 2.jpg
Purple Hairstreak.jpg
Red Admiral 1.jpg
Ringlet.jpg
Silver-spotted Skipper.jpg
Silver-studded Blue 2.jpg
Silver-studded Blue.jpg
Small Blue.jpg
Small Copper.jpg
Small Heath.jpg
Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary.jpg
Small Skipper.jpg
Small Tortoiseshell.jpg
Small White.jpg
Speckled Wood 2.jpg
SWF.jpg
Wall Brown.jpg
White Admiral.jpg
White-letter Hairstreak.jpg
Wood White.jpg
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Enjoyable, if brief, encounters with a few female BH today, in various states of wear and tear:
P1290719ad.jpg
P1290741ad.jpg
P1290724ad.jpg
P1290739ad.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Good to see the Brostreaks are starting to play by the rule book round your way too Pauline :D Loved the collection of shots - one or two looked familiar and left me wondering if I might have shots of some of those individuals (the Maps in particular :D ) :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

So glad you got a proper opportunity with the Brown Hairstreaks, Pauline.

Even better are your mosaics of UK species taken down the years. These wouldn't be out of place in a book on butterflies - I'm sure there can't be many (if any) better resources for British butterfly images.

First class. :mrgreen: :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Pauline, looked at your memory shots and I thought they'd make great miniature pictures for your wall's, what do think? Goldie :D
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pauline wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:45 amIf anyone finds them of interest then that is a bonus.
A wonderful collection - browsing through has given me a lot of pleasure, thank you.

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”