Naturetrek

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
Denise

Naturetrek

Post by Denise »

Hi all,

While browsing my pc for butterfly holidays, I found this,
http://www.naturetrek.co.uk/wildlife-ho ... s.asp?ID=9

Has anyone here tried this type of holiday, and are they as good as they seem?
I am thinking about next year, and just by chance, they match up with some of my destination ideas. As a novice, I need all the help I can get!
Any ideas or thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers
Denise
KeynvorLogosenn

Re: Naturetrek

Post by KeynvorLogosenn »

I have been on a couple of group tour holidays, but not for butterflies. However they do take you to all hotspots, so it seems alright. I wouldnt mind it myself
Mouse
Denise

Post by Denise »

I'm a billy-no-mates when it comes to traveling abroad, especially for butterfly's, but I thought that this might be a good option, as everyone is there for the same reason.
I have traveled to Scotland and France on my own with a bird tour, and found it to be good.
It's not much fun being the only member of my family with an interest in wildlife. They think at best that I'm an anorak, and at worst a saddo :(
Anyone fancy Hungry, Slovakia or Southern Greece next year?

Cheers
Denise
alex mclennan

Post by alex mclennan »

Hi Denise
I've been to Hungary with Naturetrek and can recommend it. This year I visited Bulgaria with the British Bulgarian Friendship Society - have a look at www.bbfs.org.uk for their various holiday options.
Alex
KeynvorLogosenn

same Denise
Im the only one in my family with this interest, so it makes going away for butterfly holidays a little difficult.
But a tour certainly seems the way to do it, everyone is there for the same reason!
the first one on the list sounds good, its the shortest, so if you dont like it your not there for ages! Wouldn't mind it myself!
mouse
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

It's not much fun being the only member of my family with an interest in wildlife. They think at best that I'm an anorak, and at worst a saddo

Start running a moth trap at nights, then they will think you are REALLY weird :wink:
Susie

Post by Susie »

Oooh, I wish I could come with you, that sounds like a dream come true to me. Unfortunately I think it will be a while yet before the rest of the family will be willing to let me go and enjoy myself. :?
Denise

Post by Denise »

After re-reading Pete's Hungary blog and the reports on Naturtrek including the one where Alex and Gill Mclennan attended, I am opting for Hungary next summer.
That gives me all winter to prepare. I am also going to try for a week in southern France, Var region in late April early May. Any takers?

Cheers
Denise
KeynvorLogosenn

Are you going with Naturetrek for the France holiday?
Mouse
Denise

Post by Denise »

No Mouse,

I'm going to do my own thing. Book my flights and find some nice B&Bs to stay in.

Denise
KeynvorLogosenn

Hi Denise

Ahh okay :)
I dont know whether I could make those rough dates anyway :(
Thanks for the offer and let us know how you get on!
Mouse
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi Denise,

I've never done any group traveling with Naturetrek or any other nature tours companies. However, I had contacted Naturetrek a few years ago as my boyfriend and I were interested in going to Malaysia but did not want to go along with a group of people. Naturetrek can arrange trip for you with a guide who will show you the best spots.
But if you have the intention of going to France, then you will be fine on your own. For accommodation, I can recommend that you book a gîte as these will be cheaper than B&Bs.
Here is the official site of Gites de France (pages are also in English).
http://www.gites-de-france.com/gites/fr/gites_ruraux
I believe that you live in the Bristol area, there are easyjet flights from Bristol to Nice. (you probably know it already).
You picked the right time for butterflies in the Var region (although the weather can be a little bit unsettled). If you need any help of any sort, please let me know...
Sylvie
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I wouldn’t want to put anyone off Naturetrek, especially as they are supportive of BC, but £1000+ per person per week is a big outlay and the leaders are sometimes/often bird experts and not principally butterfly experts. Sometimes their tour synopses seem to have a very strong bird and flower emphasis, even for the “butterfly” tours. I have read some of their reports (viewable on their website) which have serious errors. It’s worth checking their reports of past tours and the leader’s butterfly credentials. These tours are now big business and most who sign up for them are not necessarily as butterfly-focussed as most visitors to this forum. If I’m found nailed to a cork tree in Provence, you’ll know which company should be viewed as the principal suspects!

Back to the subject: the first week in May would be a very good time for Var. I have usually seen 60 species by 7 May, slightly less this year as the spring weather was unusually poor for Var. This time of year should be good for both Southern and Spanish Festoons, Cleopatra, Osiris and Baton Blues, Scarce Swallowtail, Provence Orange Tip, Dappled White, Berger’s Clouded Yellow, and many more, including UK rarities which are common in France such as Adonis Blue, Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Wood White.

You will see good butterflies almost anywhere you go, but as in the UK there are some excellent “hotspots” with 25+ species in one location. Sylvie’s suggestion of Gites de France is certainly a good one, but if you want to move about, one possibility would be to fly to Toulon and meander across Var and fly back from Nice. There are plenty of hotels and booking should be no real problem this early in the year, but I would suggest booking in advance and Logis de France offers some great places to stay – recommended family-run good quality hotels which charge around 60 euros per night for demi-pension, excellent value (and I’m not on commission, either). Here’s a link:
http://logis-de-france.fr/uk/recherch/index-ca.htm
Click on France, then Provence, then Var. The “chimneys” show the hotel locations. Click on the chimneys for details (apologies if all this is obvious).

I can suggest some hotspots near Signes, La Roquebrussanne, Trans-en-Provence, Fayence, and in the Alpes Maritimes. I go to these sites regularly and could point out the best places and help with ID, if required.
Denise

Post by Denise »

Hi Sylvie_h and Roger.

Thank you for the info and help.
I have researched the Naturtrek Hungry trip, and it is primarily for butterflies.(90+ species) After reading all the reports, I am quite happy to pursue this. I must say however, that not all their 'butterfly' trips are quite as focused, and anyone wanting to go on a trip would do well to heed Roger's advice and check as much as possible. I read a recent trip report that only saw 14 species of butterfly, but countless plants and birds. That's not what I'm signing up for, but it may be someone else's cup of tea.

I have hit a bit of a road block with my French trip. I can't find a traveling partner, and as I don't drive and can't speak French, it leaves me with a bit of a dilemma!
I'm not giving up though and am working on a solution.

Thanks again
Denise
Sylvie_h

Post by Sylvie_h »

Hi Denise,

Hungary should be excellent for butterflies. I was in Slovakia end June/ early July for 10 days. I was based in the South East of the Tatras Mountains (butterflies species are very similar to those of the Alps) and spent a couple of days in the south of the country not far from the Hungarian border (north of Aggletek national park). I was a bit disappointed not to have seen the famous glider but still there were new species for me like the 'woodland brown' and others that I still need to identify.
Regarding your trip to France, if you have any trouble because of the language barrier (booking accommodation,etc...)give me a shout, I will be happy to help as French is my mothertongue but you know most French speak a little bit of English, so you should be ok. If you don't drive, you don't need to be too far away from Nice to find a good repertoire of species and you should be able to rely on buses if you are based in a little village between Nice and Grasse (this is not the Var region but the Alpes Maritimes, a very good area for butterflies also). Most villages on this stretch of road are within easy to moderate walking access to nature. I was lucky to live in this part of the country for 3 years, so I can give some advice if you need any. Best of luck anyway and enjoy your trip to Hungary!
Sylvie
wavelea1

Post by wavelea1 »

Denise

I feel for you - and for all those other poor souls who cannot share their 'obsession'.

If you decide to go to France - Susie and I will be going back in May but probably not as far south as you suggest, probably around Pays du Loire - the Vendee region - I have teach youself French CDs which are quite superb and they have certainly enabled me to get by in regions that do not speak english. You are quite welcome to borrow them. There's a reason to meet up in the Winter?

I don't think suggesting that you come with us would wash with Susie!!!!!!

Mike
Denise

Post by Denise »

:lol: :lol: She hasn't met me yet, but I know what you mean. I would have loved to have taken Eccles with me to Kos, but hubby would have had a fit!
I have ordered teach yourself French, and have decided to just 'go for it' although I am slightly nervous about being in a foreign country on my own.
I have looked at the flights and accommodation (thanks Roger) but can't book for another six weeks.

Looking forward to meeting up over the winter at some point.
Cheers
Denise

Return to “Field Trips and Events”