Montes Universales

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Andy02

Montes Universales

Post by Andy02 »

2380991F-99BE-4FAD-AB5D-E6515143EE4A.jpeg
2380991F-99BE-4FAD-AB5D-E6515143EE4A.jpeg
Having visited a known site for Agrodiaetus Ripartii the previous day in Montes Universales, I encountered this butterfly which I believe is Ripartii at Moscardon. This is site where Agrodiaetus Damon flies and I am aware of the confusion between the female Damon and Ripartii.
This butterfly appears to show worn brown fringes .

What are others views
Attachments
869AB51D-E5E2-4D26-8401-12EC050B0BF3.jpeg
David M

Re: Montes Universales

Post by David M »

Those brown submarginal marks would rule out female damon, Andy. In any case, I'm in Montes at the moment and have seen several ripartii so they are definitely about!
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

Thank you David. They were on the roadside flowers by the sheep troughs on Tuesday
David M

Post by David M »

Yep. Found three there myself only yesterday :)
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

David M wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:50 pm Yep. Found three there myself only yesterday :)
It’s interesting how they are now being identified at many sites . My understanding was that they were confirmed as being likely in the area only last year. Overlooked or increasing their range David ?
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

I know that they were always noted as being present in various papers on the area but they appeared to remain elusive on recent trips
David M

Post by David M »

Maybe this year more ripartii have been picked up because the season is ahead? There are certainly excellent numbers of zapateri right now; I counted 65 today!!

As for confirmed presence in the area, I only received this last autumn having sent a couple of images to a Spanish authority on butterflies.

Part of the reply is below:

...recent studies have shown that both P. fabressei and P. ripartii fly in the area. Some specimens are difficult to identify with 100% certainty, but those of the photos can be classified as ripartii. The white stripe in the underside is the only distinctive character, but the presence of ripartii in the area has been demonstrated by genetic studies.
Andy02

Post by Andy02 »

David M wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:45 pm Maybe this year more ripartii have been picked up because the season is ahead? There are certainly excellent numbers of zapateri right now; I counted 65 today!!

As for confirmed presence in the area, I only received this last autumn having sent a couple of images to a Spanish authority on butterflies.

Part of the reply is below:

...recent studies have shown that both P. fabressei and P. ripartii fly in the area. Some specimens are difficult to identify with 100% certainty, but those of the photos can be classified as ripartii. The white stripe in the underside is the only distinctive character, but the presence of ripartii in the area has been demonstrated by genetic studies.
Fantastic David. Really positive news. Thanks for sharing

Return to “Identification”