Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Neil Hulme

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Neil - thanks for this excellent summary, and also of your analysis and perspective on the future outlook. As always, very insightful!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, Pete. The weather forecast over the next week looks favourable too, so I'm optimistic.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

4 August 2022

Today I surveyed a new site for the South Downs National Park Authority, at Burpham, to the NE of Arundel. I had no great expectations, but was pleasantly surprised, finding 21 species. These included Brown Hairstreak, with a couple of females hanging around a Master Tree and doing very little while waiting for their eggs to ripen - neither showed any interest in the adjacent Blackthorn.

Even better, and much to my surprise, I found nine Silver-spotted Skipper, including several ovipositing. This is a new site for the species and pushes its geographical range in Sussex significantly further west than currently known.
UKB Brown Hairstreak female (1) Burpham 4.8.22.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak female (2) Burpham 4.8.22.jpg
UKB Brown Hairstreak female (3) Burpham 4.8.22.jpg
trevor

Post by trevor »

I don't know how you would score that one, but it must be close to 10!.
I remember finding a mint fresh BH and you scored it 9.5, I felt insulted. :lol:

Trevor.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Trevor. I'm more Craig Revel Horwood than Darcey Bussell.
After careful consideration, the panel of judges (me), has awarded me 10 for this one. :D
Hope to catch up at Steyning soon - the females should appear in numbers next week.
BWs, Neil
David M

Post by David M »

21 species at a single site is some going, Neil. I've only ever topped that once in the UK!!

Great that Silver Spotted Skippers and Brown Hairstreaks were among them. You must have been delighted to see such fresh-looking female betulae.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hi Neil, I've just spent the greater part of the day in a field in the general vicinity of Burpham. Similar numbers of SSS so I'm guessing my detective work came to fruition :D . Only managed 18 species though, dipped out on the BH despite much neck cricking looking up in those large Ash's. I can supply the grid ref if you need to confirm I was in the same place.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi David. It doesn't matter how many female Brown Hairstreaks I see - every single one still gets me excited; it's one of those butterflies!

Hi Paul. Methinks you found Perry Hill. A nice little site which is seldom if ever visited by butterfly-watchers. That lower hedgerow must be worth another visit for Brown Hairstreak in about a week from now, particularly around and beyond the massive Ash.

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

8 August 2022 - Here They Come! (Plea For The Pea)

The start of the main wave of 2022 Long-tailed Blue immigrants started a day earlier than I predicted (see https://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/phpBB/v ... 38#p172638) with the first sighting of Sussex adults going to Max Anderson on 6 August at Whitehawk Hill. This appears to consist of an all-male pod of five very worn individuals, which I saw with Max on the following day.

Numbers are likely to build over the following week or two, including females. It is inevitable that many people will be visiting the site, so this is a plea to avoid treading on the Broad-leaved Everlasting-pea plants, the stems of which are easily snapped. The more pea that remains in good condition, the more homegrown individuals will successfully emerge in September, when they really are worth photographing.

Today, Lindsay Morris saw two male LTB sparring at Lancing Ring and Brian Birch photographed a male in his Felpham garden, having already located eggs. A very large influx seems inevitable this year, given the heat both in the UK and mainland Europe.
UKB Long-tailed Blue (male) (1) Whitehawk Hill 7.8.22.jpg
UKB Long-tailed Blue (male) (2) Whitehawk Hill 7.8.22.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I did indeed find that hill, looking very parched like the rest of the south east at the moment. I wasn't sure whether there was a reason you didn't specify the site in your original post about it, hence my cryptic post. Lovely views from the top of the slope and had the added bonus of a trio of Red Kites for the entire day overhead.

Good to see the LTB have arrived, (was there any doubt this year!) I suspect I'll bump into some familiar faces in the coming weeks :)
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Paul
This area is Red Kite City - I know very small copses in the vicinity where 40+ roost, together with large numbers of Raven. The Norfolk Estate farms this landscape with wildlife as a high priority, leading to very high numbers of farmland birds and small mammals. As a result, it's one of the best places I know for raptor watching. I've seen Common Buzzard, Rough-legged Buzzard, Short-eared Owl, Barn Owl, Little Owl, Tawny Owl, Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier, Pallid Harrier, White-tailed Eagle, Peregrine, Merlin, Hobby, Kestrel, Osprey, Sparrowhawk and Goshawk all within a mile of Perry Hill.
BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

10 August 2022

For the third day running, there have been two Long-tailed Blue males just north of the trees on Lancing Ring (first spotted by Lindsay Morris). As always, they're feisty little butterflies; I've watched them chasing Oak Eggar, Humming-bird Hawk-moth, Wall and other blue species. They tend to perch on nettles and other low vegetation beside the track leading to Steep Down and are most reliably seen after 2pm.
UKB LTB 1 Lancing Ring 10.8.22.jpg
UKB LTB 2 Lancing Ring 10.8.22.jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Neil Hulme wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:58 pm Hi Paul
This area is Red Kite City - I know very small copses in the vicinity where 40+ roost, together with large numbers of Raven. The Norfolk Estate farms this landscape with wildlife as a high priority, leading to very high numbers of farmland birds and small mammals. As a result, it's one of the best places I know for raptor watching. I've seen Common Buzzard, Rough-legged Buzzard, Short-eared Owl, Barn Owl, Little Owl, Tawny Owl, Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier, Pallid Harrier, White-tailed Eagle, Peregrine, Merlin, Hobby, Kestrel, Osprey, Sparrowhawk and Goshawk all within a mile of Perry Hill.
BWs, Neil
Sounds like I might have to make this a regular spot all year round! I couldn't help but notice there was a lot of set aside areas along the edges of many fields I walked past on the way with lush growth of 'weeds' and the field at the top with a lovely display of sunflowers. It did make me think there was some very sympathetic farming going on, a very pleasant change from the norm!
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Hi Neil, as someone travelling from the North wanting to try and score with LtB this year, when will be the optimum date and location. Do you have directions for Whitehawk Hill?
Thanks very much.
Steve.
David M

Post by David M »

Whilst red kites are far commoner round my way than they are in SE England, Long Tailed Blues certainly are not. That said, I'm going to spend time looking out for them this next 6 weeks or so, as I'm confident some will end up in south Wales, along with Clouded Yellows (which are already here).
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

David, Red Kites are certainly pretty numerous in many parts of the south-east these days. Where I live in the western London suburbs it's an everyday bird & have seen over 20 on a couple of occasions.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks, all. With free time so short at this time of year, I'll just respond specifically to Steve's request.

Steve, things are more difficult to predict this year, as we are seeing both multiple waves of primary immigrants, and very rapid early-stage development due to the intense heat. So we're going to see a rolling programme of arrivals and UK emergences (see next post). The pattern this year will likely mimic what's usually observed further south in mainland Europe, as the butterlies shift northwards, breeding as they go. If you keep an eye on this and other diaries, you should be able to time your visit well. For Whitehawk Hill, just head for Brighton Racecourse and specifically around the base of the transmitter mast to the immediate south. Feel free to get in contact just before travelling, via this diary.

BWs, Neil
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

11 August 2022

Yesterday (11 August), I spent an enjoyable couple of hours in the wildlife-friendly garden of a lovely couple near Bognor Regis. Amongst other things, they've planted in anticipation of Long-tailed Blue and gorganus Swallowtail. Their resident population of Common Blue is impressive. The goings-on are best summarised in this excerpt from an email I sent them.

"Just to confirm, I'm certain we saw three male LTBs (all of which have some age to them) and a smaller, much fresher female. She will be responsible for those eggs currently being laid, but the earlier eggs (giving rise to your discovered larva) must have been laid by another female, perhaps around 19-21 July.

With oviposition still continuing, you are likely to see fresh butterflies emerging from as early as late next week, followed by others until at least mid/late September - it should be a rolling programme of new butterflies and top-class entertainment. The length of the life-cycle will increase if and when the very hot weather breaks.

Based on behaviour observed in previous years, any females which emerge on Sussex soil should be rapidly mated and then will most likely soon fly south with their fertilised eggs. Any newly hatched males are more likely to hang around, in the hope of finding more virgin females - they may stay in your garden until the bitter end.

However, this year, they have arrived earlier than in previous invasions, and the heat is far more intense, which will lead to very rapid egg/larva/pupa development. It is possible that your garden might host the first concrete evidence of a UK second brood, assuming that the pea is still producing fresh buds - so it might be wise to keep the plants well watered.
"

Elsewhere, Lindsay Morris was watching one of the male LTB which has been holding court at the top of Lancing Ring for the last three/four days, when a female arrived and was instantly mated; this demonstrates perfectly, how the strategy of 'hill-topping' works.

LTB is showing quite well at Whitehawk Hill, but please mind the pea if visiting.

Don't bother trying Pagham Beach, as all the BLEP has burned-off in the hot sun.
UKB LTB 2 West Sussex garden 11.8.22.jpg
UKB LTB 1 West Sussex garden 11.8.22.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

12 August 2022

Many thanks to Ben Greenaway, who called me this morning to let me know that he'd found a Queen of Spain on Green Ridge (Hove), between Hilltop Cafe (Dyke Road Avenue) and the windmill. I rapidly shelved plans to work and soon found Ben plus fritillary. I only managed a poor record shot before it changed behaviour (previously patrolling and perching along the top hedge-line path) and disappeared soon after midday. I suspect it will be back tomorrow morning. From its shabby condition, I suspect it arrived at approximately the same time as QoS were appearing in Kent, associated with the period of 'peak heat'. I'm sure that Ben will publish his vastly superior shots in time. Great find, Ben!

I later joined a couple of other enthusiasts, including Max Anderson, at Whitehawk Hill, where five Long-tailed Blue were occasionally showing, but are hard work in this heat. There has been some more trampling of the BLEP since Max and I were last there a few days ago, so please do avoid treading on it if visiting - it's really not difficult to see!
UKB QoS Green Ridge 12.8.22.jpg
UKB LTB Whitehawk Hill 12.8.22.jpg
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks very much for your help Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”