Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning I went over to Horseshoe Plantation, at a civilised hour for a change.
My main target was the Chalkhill Blue, with many seen, as well as a few surprises.
The first surprise was my first butterfly, a fresh male Wall Brown, which landed at my feet.
All I had to do was lean slightly forward to get a shot, that was a first!.
A large clump of wild Marjoram provided most of the entertainment, and was host
to many Gatekeepers and Chalkhill Blues. Another surprise was a nectaring Small Blue,
and a little later, on the way back to the car, a fresh female Speckled Wood.

Not too bad for a cloudy, breezy morning.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1340401.JPG
P1340424.JPG
P1340405.JPG
P1340428.JPG
P1340447.JPG
P1340433.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The camo of the Brimstone is brilliant Trevor :D Lovely set of Chalkhills too! 8) Saw my first Brostreak today (in the centre of Salisbury :shock: ) and off to Shipton tomorrow so I'll let you know if they're off the mark there :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Last edited by Wurzel on Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely Chalkhills, Trevor. It's a real sign of late summer to see those flying in tandem with Hedge Browns. Those Wall Browns were a nice bonus too. :)
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel. It would be good to know how you got on at Shipton B.
David M wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:50 pm Lovely Chalkhills, Trevor. It's a real sign of late summer to see those flying in tandem with Hedge Browns. Those Wall Browns were a nice bonus too. :)
Something in the garden today, Aug.1st, that not usually a sign of late summer.
Primroses in bloom! This plant flowered in the spring too.
Attachments
P1340465.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Well I found one male low down and posing nicely on the corner of the Nettle Bed, saw another male about half way along the main hedge and bumped into someone that had had a female low down along the main track near the Nettle Bed - also and absolute shed load of Walls! 8) :D I'm in Wales til the end of the week but as soon as I'm back home I'll be back!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel. We need to make plans soon.

A visit today to Herstmonceux Castle to see how the Small Tortoiseshell was coming along
found good numbers, but fewer compared to this time last year.
In the meadow area I found a mating pair of Common Blues, and after they parted I managed
some shots of the, hopefully, newly fertilised ' blue ' female.
Other highlights were a high speed Clouded Yellow, and a single male Wall.
Attachments
P1340507.JPG
P1340515.JPG
P1340492.JPG
P1340502.JPG
P1340491.JPG
P1340486.JPG
P1340519.JPG
P1340526.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking sequence of shots Trevor - especially the Small Tort 8) Defo need to get some plans sorted - if we leave it to the end of the week there might be a more accurate weather forecast (check me out, ever the optimist :shock: :lol: )

Have a goodun

Wurzel
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel. I'm up for a trip to Shipton B, but will need to chat up my
Daughter for an overnight stay. Can make it at the drop of a hat if weather permits.

This morning a closed road, thwarting my original plans, lead me to a new site only nine miles from home.
Some while ago a friend mentioned a place on top of the Downs where he saw lots of butterflies.
I have passed the nondescript little lane off the A27, near Selmeston, hundreds of times, if not thousands.
But today I thought I would explore, despite no sunshine and a strong breeze.
Initially all I found was a very fresh Brown Argus, and a few Chalkhill Blues hunkering down from the breeze.
I then explored a little further along a well used chalk path that lead to an unofficial view point.
Here I spotted a fast male Wall, so I waited and scrambled to the edge of an old chalk quarry, here more
Walls were seen, including a beautiful female. Chalkhillls were everywhere but it was necessary to remember
that I was at the top ( on firm ground ) of a very steep drop.

This area of the Downs is known as Bo Peep. I'll be back!.

Trevor.
Attachments
The fabulous view from Bo Peep.
The fabulous view from Bo Peep.
Wall Brown territory. Windover hill in the distance.
Wall Brown territory. Windover hill in the distance.
P1340541.JPG
P1340567.JPG
P1340571.JPG
P1340580.JPG
P1340614.JPG
P1340574.JPG
P1340603.JPG
Last edited by trevor on Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Sorry I forgot the female Wall Brown image from the post above.
Attachments
P1340596.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:06 pmSorry I forgot the female Wall Brown image from the post above.
Glad you corrected the oversight, Trevor - those hindwing ocelli are absolutely magnificent!
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks David. I could see when I was taking shots of that female Wall,
that she was ' different ', indeed the hindwing ocelli are much bolder
and larger than usual.

Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Walls Trevor - that female is a cracker, as well as the overly large ocelli she also has a few extra ones on the fore wing 8) :mrgreen: Would Monday be good for a meet up at Shipton B?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Great shots of the Wall's Trevor, I went to Reculver but they'd cut every thing along the wall where they normally are, not a sign of them. :( Goldie :D
trevor

Post by trevor »

Cheers Wurzel & Goldie. I found what we hope to see tomorrow this morning Wurzel!.

Keep looking Goldie, they are still about.

Doug Neve and myself went over to Steyning rifle range this morning.
The heat was a bit much and the butterflies responded accordingly. The most commonly
seen species apart from Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns was surprisingly the Holly Blue.

When we decided to leave Doug went ahead and I chatted to a fellow attendee, as we
spoke I saw the unmistakable sight of a Brown Hairstreak flying around one of the few
remaining thistle flowers. It was a male !, rarely seen at Steyning.
But he had that end of season look about him, and was barely recognisable.
This very tatty specimen was clearly several weeks old. The question is had he done his
duty already and if not was he still capable.
An amazing sight so early in the Brownie season.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1340639.JPG
P1340638.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Phew - that takes the pressure off somewhat tomorrow Trevor :wink: :lol: They do seem to be showing up in their less usual haunts this year - ,y first came from a quick poke around the Secret Garden in the centre of Salisbury (in view of the Copshop so I didn't feel I could step onto the flower beds to get a closer shot) :shock: :D Should be good tomorrow!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:33 pm...It was a male !, rarely seen at Steyning.
But he had that end of season look about him, and was barely recognisable.
This very tatty specimen was clearly several weeks old. The question is had he done his
duty already and if not was he still capable. An amazing sight so early in the Brownie season.
Amazing indeed, Trevor. I know the males must sustain damage through clashing with one another in the ash trees, but that one looks as though all the others decided to beat it up!!

Hope you had more success yesterday.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Thanks David, we had some success yesterday.

I arrived at Shipton Belinger at about 9.15 and was soon joined by Wurzel and Philzoid.
The heat was already building, and the hedge where Brown Hairstreaks are usually found
was in full sun and for me almost unbearable. With no sign of our quarry here we explored
some of the paths around the site.
Along one path a fellow enthusiast had seen a BH drop down from a tree and was photographing
the butterfly. He kindly pointed the BH out to us, and there it was sheltering in hawthorn foliage.
At least six people had a chance to photograph what looked like a pristine female. Many thanks!.
A long another path a very quick Wurzel spotted anther BH land in a tree, but very high up.
A shot of this one, a male, was only just about possible with my kit.
We carried on but only had one more very brief landing.
The heat had by now got the better of me, so we said our goodbyes and I left just before 2.00.

I then paid a visit to Tilshead to see if an early morning visit would be worthwhile, and it was.......

Cheers for a great day Wurzel, see you next year!.
Trevor.
Attachments
P1340662.JPG
P1340669.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wurzel wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:15 pm ...They do seem to be showing up in their less usual haunts this year...
I think a few species have been dispersing more than usual during the hot spells this year. Seems to be happening with moths as well from reports I have seen.

Nice Brown Hairstreaks, yes even that male, his condition tells a story. I am more :mrgreen: of your Wall Browns though, I havn't managed to see one yet this year and they don't occur anywhere close to me these days.

Cheers,

Neil.
trevor

Post by trevor »

It's a shame you don't have Wall Browns close by Neil.
From what I have seen so far this year they are having a great year,
and are quite widespread in the south and west. I would imagine Salisbury Plain
holds many undiscovered Wall colonies on unmanaged MOD land.

Trevor.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Lovely Wall Browns, Trevor, especially that beautiful female :) Shame that the BH are playing hard to get this year, still time though :)

Return to “Personal Diaries”