Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
trevor

Re: Katrina

Post by trevor »

Great stuff Katrina, at least I now know that His Majesty has appeared on the ground.
I went three times last week and saw nothing. It seemed strange as HE
was showing at other locations the week before.
Both John Williams and Mark Colvin saw flypasts on Friday and Saturday.

You captured a lovely glimpse of purple.
Trevor.

PS. Lovely White Admiral shot.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Good to see you again today, Katrina, and I think we did well all things considered to identify and track down that lone Emperor. A pretty good shot you ended up with in the end, avoiding the grass stems by a whisker and getting the flash of Imperial purple as well. :mrgreen: No purple on the single shot I managed... I may have to steal your image as a record! :)

Cheers,

Dave
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice bit of purple there Katrina :mrgreen: . I think pictures on here may well be the closest I'll get to them this year sadly, so I hope there's more to be seen :)
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Trevor,
I saw on social media one was down briefly the day before near parking.
Thanks Dave was good to see you too. Feel free with the image!.
Thanks Paul. IF I get a chance I will go back but I am sure others will oblige with better images.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of shots Katrina :D :mrgreen: I was thinking about heading over there this weekend but it doesn't seem to be producing the goods this year :? so I can treat myself to a family holiday now with the money I'll have saved on petrol :wink: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Well done getting that grounded Emperor, Katrina. They've not been coming down so much these last couple of years so these types of images have been at a premium.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely shot of the PE Katrina - I missed it when you posted it probably because I was out looking for them too. I've only seen one grounded this year and time is fast running out!
Katrina

Help with Caterpillar ID

Post by Katrina »

i was recently in Scotland on holiday and photographed caterpillars.
I am thinking the ones with the white spots may be peacocks, the yellow stripes may be Small Tortoiseshell but am not sure about the other one.
Can anyone confirm / help? All found on nettles.
Attachments
Peacock.jpeg
Small Tortoiseshell.jpeg
Caterpillars.jpeg
Katrina

Scotland Butterflies

Post by Katrina »

The place we were staying at had quite a lot of private land. Soon after I arrived I got a test from my sister to say she had found mating DGF in one location and NBA in another. She met me and took me to the DGF. We went to the DGF first and I managed to see them but it took me multiple attempts to see the NBA.
Other butterflies seen were Small PBFs, Common Blues, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Small Heaths, Green-veined whites , one Small Tortoiseshell and probable Small Whites.
There was a wrens nest and house martins nests on the house.
We also saw Red Squirrels.
Attachments
2 DGFs
2 DGFs
DGF
DGF
DGF
DGF
Northern Brown Argus
Northern Brown Argus
probable NBA eggs in Rock Rose
probable NBA eggs in Rock Rose
DGF pair
DGF pair
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Nice shots of the DGF Katrina but great find with the NBA eggs :mrgreen: Can I look forward to some Red Squirrel images?
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Pauline wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:42 am Nice shots of the DGF Katrina but great find with the NBA eggs :mrgreen: Can I look forward to some Red Squirrel images?
Thanks Pauline, my sister found the first ones then I found more I think we found 12 in total.
Especially for you a Red Squirrel photo. I didn't take many as they were more shy here than normal and as ever I had the macro lens on.
Also birds nests on the outside of the building my sister said the first was a wren although I didn't see it come out. As my uncle said it's nest came with its own defences and House Martins.
Also the bat that came to visit for dinner.

Any thoughts on the caterpillars?
Attachments
Red Squirrel
Red Squirrel
Wren nest
Wren nest
House martin nest
House martin nest
Bat
Bat
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Oh wow! That looks like my kind of holiday Katrina.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Well done with the Red Squirrel. My best view of one ever was on the
Isle of Wight, it ran and paused in the road as we left the car ferry.
Very nice female DGF, and a :mrgreen: for your NBA, never seen one.

Trevor.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of images Katrina - my favourite is the obvious NBA, none of the worry about it being a salmacis with those white spots showing 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
PhilM

Re: Help with Caterpillar ID

Post by PhilM »

Katrina wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:35 pm i was recently in Scotland on holiday and photographed caterpillars.
I am thinking the ones with the white spots may be peacocks, the yellow stripes may be Small Tortoiseshell but am not sure about the other one.
Hi Katrina,
I was thinking also Peacock for your third image of caterpillars but am a bit thrown by the orange/brown head shown by some. The fact that they are still living gregariously on nettle but are dark in colour makes me think these are possibly 3rd instar larvae? I'm intrigued by the head colour though, perhaps someone with more knowledge could comment?

Thanks for posting these larval images,
Best wishes,
Phil.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some nice images Katrina. Definitely NBA eggs, I got some shots of salmacis eggs a few weeks ago, I was watching her lay them. You're right with your peacock/small tort caterpillar ID'S, the third photo are Peacocks. They've freshly moulted hence some of the spines are still pale and some of the head capsules are reddish, an hour later and they'd probably all darkened off properly.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Pauline wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:21 am Oh wow! That looks like my kind of holiday Katrina.
It was a good one with aunts, uncles, cousins and their children and people celebrating 60th and 50 th wedding anniversarys.
trevor wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:06 am Well done with the Red Squirrel. My best view of one ever was on the
Isle of Wight, it ran and paused in the road as we left the car ferry.
Very nice female DGF, and a :mrgreen: for your NBA, never seen one.

Trevor.
They were a bit shy here but saw them a few times on feeders and at a distance.
Wurzel wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:43 pm Cracking set of images Katrina - my favourite is the obvious NBA, none of the worry about it being a salmacis with those white spots showing 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel. It was the most hard won image, I had to go back many times to find it.
PhilM wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:34 pm [quote=Katrina post_id=172340 time=<a href="tel:1658345725">1658345725</a> user_id=13159]
i was recently in Scotland on holiday and photographed caterpillars.
Hi Katrina,
I was thinking also Peacock for your third image of caterpillars but am a bit thrown by the orange/brown head shown by some. The fact that they are still living gregariously on nettle but are dark in colour makes me think these are possibly 3rd instar larvae? I'm intrigued by the head colour though, perhaps someone with more knowledge could comment?

Thanks for posting these larval images,
Best wishes,
Phil.
[/quote]

Thanks Phil, the head colour was confusing me too. I am not great at caterpillars but am trying to make more of an effort to pay attention to them. Fortunately Bugboy once again has come up with answer. Thanks for confirming the other two.
bugboy wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:16 am Some nice images Katrina. Definitely NBA eggs, I got some shots of salmacis eggs a few weeks ago, I was watching her lay them. You're right with your peacock/small tort caterpillar ID'S, the third photo are Peacocks. They've freshly moulted hence some of the spines are still pale and some of the head capsules are reddish, an hour later and they'd probably all darkened off properly.
Thanks Bugboy for coming to the rescue with the ID! :D Very interesting about the head colour change.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

My sister took her moth trap on holiday. Here are some photos of some of the prettier moths and a moth caterpillar.
Attachments
Fox moth Caterpillar
Fox moth Caterpillar
Garden Tiger
Garden Tiger
Poplar Hawk Moth
Poplar Hawk Moth
Green Arches
Green Arches
Sallow Kitten
Sallow Kitten
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Love that Garden Tiger shot 8) I've still to get an image of one of those :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The blue spots on the hind wings always look out of place on the orange ground colour to my eye, almost as if they've been added on later :shock: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel. I am not normally into moths but Garden Tigers are pretty

Return to “Personal Diaries”