Costa Rica

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Kip

Costa Rica

Post by Kip »

We took a rather late decision based on adverts to go to Costa Rica this year at the start of their rainy season, a good time to go by all accounts, for butterflies at least. A well known company arranged it all for us but if we ever go again, it would be so easy to do ourselves, and much cheaper. The country is rather Americanized, but retains it’s own rather lovely and eco friendly character. A lot of the arranged tours are on paved forest tracks (safe) and a lot of the wildlife seen needed the guide’s spotting scope… we overdid tours! In fact, far better views of desired wildlife, such as Sloths, Monkeys (4 species), Toucans and Iguanas were encountered away from tours. Tour guides did however find a Fer-de-Lance and Resplendent Quetzal (bird), neither of which I would have wanted to miss out on seeing.

It does indeed rain in the rainy season, however early we were…. Rain and cloud every day, but also some sun, and temperatures in the high 20s. So the dilemma was always whether to wear waterproofs and overheat, or get wet! Very wet!! I invariably chose the latter, protecting only my camera where I could.

So - butterflies….. for any enthusiast it is fascinating, not many species in the lower regions of the rainforest, where there is little light and no nectar sources, and only tantalizing glimpses of high flying canopy wonders. But given a clearing and usually habitation with flowers, or a roadside waste area, the species were only too easily encountered. Strangely to me, it seemed the next butterfly would usually be a different species to the last, amazing diversity compared to anywhere else I have been. Quite a number however I only saw once! Skippers were most easily photographed, then Riodinids, then Pierids, and the rest were downright difficult, very active in the heat. Lycaenids were not in abundance generally.

I would do the trip again in a heartbeat, Tortaguerra, La Fortuna, Monteverde and Manuel Antonio, all giving something unique to those who fancy experiencing a real rainforest.

In days I managed to achieve photographs of 54 Hesperids, 8 Lycaenids, 37 Nymphalids, 3 Papilionids, 10 Pierids and 10 Riodinids, a total of 122 species. I present a sample for you to see over the next day or so….
More pics on http://ptkbutterflies.wixsite.com/photo-art - should you wish to look, I hope you like the site..
Kip

Re: Costa Rica

Post by Kip »

I might as well put in the Lycaenids first, as these were the least encountered, so all in one post.

Strymon yojoa (in Manuel Antonio area)
Strymon yojoa _ 220704 _ MA _4790.jpg
Strymon megarus (in Manuel Antonio area)
Strymon megarus  _ 220703 _ MA _3469.jpg
Pseudolycaena marsyas (in Manuel Antonio and Tortuguerra areas)
Pseudolycaena marsyas _ 220623 _ TNP _7971.jpg
Panthianides bitias (in Manuel Antonio area)
Panthiades bitias 220702  _ MA _2921.jpg
Cyanophrys herodotus (in Manuel Antonio area)
Cyanophrys herodotus _ 220706 _ MA _5285.jpg
Calycopis isobeon (in La Fortuna (Arunel volcano) area)
if you've not seen it, it is really really small, much smaller than a Small Blue here...
Calycopis isbeon _ 220628 _ AVNP _1128.jpg
:D
Last edited by Kip on Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
More pics on http://ptkbutterflies.wixsite.com/photo-art - should you wish to look, I hope you like the site..
Kip

Post by Kip »

Actually, only two Papilionids made the grade,

Parides eurimedes...
Parides eurimedes _ 220628 _ AVNP _0901.jpg

Heraclides thoas...
Heraclides thoas _ 220705 _ MA _5137.jpg
None of these really ever stopped so very few photos :?
Kip

Post by Kip »

Riodinids are frequently encountered here. They are generally small and will behave nicely for photographers. This is the selection I came upon.....

Calephelis iris -
Calephelis iris _ 220628 _ AVNP _0732.jpg
Calephelis laverna -
Calephelis laverna _ 220704 _ MA _4492.jpg
Calephelis schausi -
Calephelis schausi _ 220702 _ _2643.jpg
Calephelis exiguus -
Celephelis exiguus _ 220628 _ AVNP _1050.jpg
Detritivora hermodora -
Detritivora hermodora _ 220628 _ AVNP _0891.jpg
Detritivora gynaea -
Detritivora gynaea _ 220625 _ 10 24 58 11 N. 84 07 27 26 W _9124.jpg
Juditha caucana -
Juditha caucana _ 220706 _ MA _6540.jpg
Emesis vulpina -
Emesis vulpina _ 220704 _ MA _4152.jpg
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

Cracking stuff Kip. I have visited Costa Rica as a birder, I wish I was into butterflies then. A reason to return I suppose. :D :mrgreen:
Kip

Post by Kip »

definitely a reason to return... the birds, as you know, were also great :D
Kip

Post by Kip »

Next set.... Pierids -

Phoebis philea
Phoebis philea _ 220627 _ AVNP _9998.jpg

Phoebis sennae
Phoebis sennae _ 220704 _ MA _4721.jpg
Abaeis xanthochlora
Abaeis xanthochlora _ 220629 _ MV _1280.jpg
Aphriss statira
Aphrissa statira  _ 220704 _ MA _4270.jpg
Anteos maerula
Anteos maerula _ 220629 _ MV _1528.jpg
Pyrisittia nise
Pyrisitia nise _ 220704 _ MA _4216.jpg
Pyrisittia lisa
Pyrisittia lisa _ 220704 _ MA _4509.jpg
Euremia daira
Eurema daira _ 220702 _ r9 51 25 98 N  84 34 37 94 W  _2566.jpg
Leptophobia aripa
Leptophobia aripa _ 220705 _ MA _4977.jpg
These last two are not different species, but male and female Pereute charops...
male
Pereute charops ♂ _ 220630 _ MV _2161.jpg
female
Pereute charops ♀ _ 220701 _ MV _2395.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Some fabulous sights there, Kip. I've heard how good a destination Costa Rica is for butterflies...definitely one for my wish list!
Kip

Post by Kip »

Yes, I can certainly back that up... Seemed like everything I saw was a different species!!!!!
Kip

Post by Kip »

Next we have some initial Nymphalids, just the start.....
Anartia fatima, very common....
Anartia fatima _ 220706 _ AM _6042.jpg
Chlosyne hippodrome, I saw only this specimen....
Chlosyne hippodrome _ 220629 _ MV _1578.jpg
and Chlosyne janais, less common, but seen several times....
Chlosyne janais _ 220704 _ MA _4629.jpg
Chlosyne theona, seen just a couple of times...
Chlosyne theona _ 220702 _ road stop _2595.jpg
Anthanassa drusilla...
Anthanassa drusilla _ 220625 _ TNP _8991.jpg
Anthanassa tulcis...
Anthanassa tulcis _ 220706 _ AM _5773.jpg
and a couple of really small Nymphalids... Castilia ofella..
Castilia ofella _ 220629 _ MV _1644.jpg
and Castilia eranites...
Castilia eranites _ 220630 _ MV _2086.jpg
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

Great stuff Paul! That's got me fired up for our return visit to NW Costa Rica this November. During our two previous visits out there in November/December we saw a few of the species you have show-cased here, but we haven't yet been brave enough to visit at the start of the rainy season! I see you travelled pretty widely during your time out there. My favourite spot was the volcanic rainforest area at Rincon de la Vieja, where we found an incredible range of Heliconids, Swallowtails, Morpho's etc. It truly is the stuff of dreams out there...
sifenn

Post by sifenn »

Super pictures from Costa Rica - looks amazing !

Was due to visit CR in late 2020, but stymied by the pandemic. Now an opportunity has come up to go travelling, and I'll be in CR in early Dec. All of my stuff is in storage, including my CR guides, so would welcome any hints on good locations to visit. Have flights booked, and a hire car, and about 12 days available on the road after a couple of days in San Jose.

Also have the good fortune to be travelling up the coast of S Africa from Cape Town to Durban during October - I imagine plenty of scope for seeing leps there in spring.

NZ in Nov, I'm guessing my best bet will be botanical gardens in Auckland and Christchurch.
Kip

Post by Kip »

You really can't go wrong! Any relatively wild spot excepting the rainforest floor will provide stuff to see, especially on any flowers. There are 3 environments, basically east, west and central. I saw most in the south-west around Manuel-Antonio, but the central area around Arunel was also good. The Tortuguero area was more difficult.. dense waterlogged rainforest making sites difficult to come by. :D
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Great diary of your visit to CR. My wife and I went with a small group to visit the Fairtrade producers in November 2018.The wildlife was stunning, and I would love to return.
sifenn

Post by sifenn »

thanks Kip

Did you do the whole boat or plane trip experience into Tortuguero, or come at it from landside as far as conditions/access would allow ?
Kip

Post by Kip »

It really is a good place to visit Ian.
We did Tortuguero by road up to a point inland, with the last 10 miles or so by river boat as organized by the tour provider. We left the same way. I think one can fly in from San José.
I have a few more photos to show when I have time :D

Return to “Overseas”